Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

rental car insurance question
Old 08-07-2014, 10:50 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

rental car insurance question

will be renting a car in Maui later this month. I've an Amex and a Chase visa. I think amex provides some kind of liability insurace or does all credit card do that? Do they provide comprehensive as well? I'm wondering if I should purchase the comprehensive coverage from the rental company ($11/day I think.)

will probably call amex later on but want to hit up the forum first.
ER_Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2014, 04:34 AM   #2

The brochure that came with your credit card will tell you just what they cover. All are different.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:08 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

If, like many of us, you don't have a clue what you did with that brochure, you should be able to find a link to it on your CC website.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:44 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

My Citi CC and my homeowners insurance both will cover rental insurance. Check online with your CC company and check with your insurance agent. It'll save you money.
Dancer373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:01 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER_Hopeful View Post
will be renting a car in Maui later this month. I've an Amex and a Chase visa. I think amex provides some kind of liability insurace or does all credit card do that? Do they provide comprehensive as well? I'm wondering if I should purchase the comprehensive coverage from the rental company ($11/day I think.)

will probably call amex later on but want to hit up the forum first.
I have an AMEX card and signed up for their supplementary rental car insurance plan. It covers quite a bit more than the insurance that comes "standard" with the credit card, and the cost is just $20 (IIRC) each time you rent a car. That single payment covers you for an extended period (60 or 90 days, IIRC), so it is a lot less expensive than buying the insurance at the rental car counter.
If I'm in an accident, I figure it will be a bit more hassle to have this AMEX insurance than to have the insurance from the rental car company (I'm sure there will be fights over who covers what, payment, etc, that wouldn't come up if it was all handled by the rental car company and their insurance company), but the savings are worth it.
I don't want the insurance when I rent in the US, I just want it overseas, so I use a non-AMEX card to pay for cars in the US.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:07 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

if you can't find the brochure, you can also call customer service......see back
of your card. Often they will refer you to a separate unit but they have contact info.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:31 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer373 View Post
My Citi CC and my homeowners insurance both will cover rental insurance. Check online with your CC company and check with your insurance agent. It'll save you money.
+1.

If you already have solid coverage, the coverage will generally transfer to the rental car. Also, be sure to charge the rental fee, if you do and the card covers it, you will be set.

If you paid cash, it doesn't matter what kind of card you have.

Car rental insurance is a scam. You should not need to buy it. The rental car taxes are already high enough.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:35 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I just had an minor accident with a rental, 3 months ago. The card used was my Fidelity AMEX through FIA Cardholder Services.

They cover collision only, up to 50k. NO liability. They also only cover after your primary auto insurance carrier denies the claim or some portion of the claim.

After 3 months I still can't get the rental car place or the other driver's insurance to say if he was injured or how much damage. He claimed he was ok at the crash site (fender bender in parking lot), the 5 y.o. county vehicle only had a scratch. I've told the rental car place to leave me alone until they will provide those details. Had to run it by my insurance, they're of the same opinion. YMMV.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:55 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
They cover collision only, up to 50k. NO liability. They also only cover after your primary auto insurance carrier denies the claim or some portion of the claim.
That was a "plus" on the supplemental coverage offered through AMEX: They pay first, before going to your primary insurance.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:17 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
That was a "plus" on the supplemental coverage offered through AMEX: They pay first, before going to your primary insurance.
Well they told me twice they're a secondary insurance, here's a snippet of some of the paperwork I'm going by "c". Perhaps I'm not understanding the CSRs comments or the document correctly. Hope I'm wrong!

This policy provides secondary coverage for damage to Rented Automobiles, when Loss Damage Waiver coverage is declined with the rental agency prior to the accident, and the rental fee is charged to the credit card covered by this policy.

In order for us to fully evaluate this claim for coverage, we will require the following documents:

• A copy of the credit card statement showing the purchase of the rented automobile; (we must be able to see the first six digits of the credit card number and accountholder name. However, for security purposes we suggest that you remove or obscure the remaining credit card numbers.)
  • A copy of the Rental Agreement;
  • Confirmation of claim submission and settlement results/denial from your primary auto insurance carrier.
  • A copy of your insurance declarations page in effect for the date of loss.
  • Estimate of the damages;
  • Copy of the police report and/or a copy of the incident report (filed with Rental Agency);
  • A completed and signed claim form.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I think amex offers the per rental coverage for a fee per rental as well as already-included coverage. See the bottom of this page which compares them: https://www295.americanexpress.com/p...FQqGaQodD5EA7Q note that the fee per rental coverage is primary while the "perk" insurance is secondary:

Quote:
TYPE OF COVERAGE

What you get with this product: Primary for damage to or theft of the rental vehicle6; no need to first file a claim with your personal insurance company.

Car Rental Loss & Damage Insurance that may be included with your Card: Secondary; pay the deductible of your personal insurance, and your rates may also increase.
We just used our Capital One Visa for a car rental. In order for that insurance to be effective, you cannot also use the car rental agency's insurance.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:22 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Just remember that your personal car insurance may only cover you for a 30 day rental period. After that, you could be on your own.

We had a three month rental and we were happy to discover that the rental agency had written up three separate contracts, so the "30 days" renewed each month.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well they told me twice they're a secondary insurance, here's a snippet of some of the paperwork I'm going by "c". Perhaps I'm not understanding the CSRs comments or the document correctly. Hope I'm wrong!
I assume you are dealing with the "free" insurance that comes to anyone who uses their AMEX card. I was talking about the supplemental insurance you sign up for separately, and for which $20 is added to your AMEX bill if you use the AMEX card to rent a car. The CSR is probably giving you correct info for the "free" insurance.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

My preferred "rental card" - Barclaycard world arrival plus is primary everywhere except in the US.
Quote:
When certain terms and conditions are met, the Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver benefit (“Auto Rental CDW”) provides—at no additional charge reimbursement for damage due to collision or theft up to the actual cash value of most rental vehicles. In your country of residence, this benefit is supplemental to, and excess of, any valid and collectible insurance from any other source
It pays to read the fine print (prompted by this thread). It specifically excludes a Ireland - a planned future destination, so its good to know:
Quote:
Losses from rental transactions which originated in Israel, Jamaica, the Republic of Ireland, or Northern Ireland.
fosterscik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:56 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

My regular car insurance (Liberty Mutual) covers everything but 'loss of use'(wreck car and it takes 10 days to fix, you pay 10 days rental). My Chase Mastercard didn't cover 'loss of use', but my second card (Kroger Visa) did, so I always use the Kroger Visa card to rent cards.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:06 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I assume you are dealing with the "free" insurance that comes to anyone who uses their AMEX card. I was talking about the supplemental insurance you sign up for separately, and for which $20 is added to your AMEX bill if you use the AMEX card to rent a car. The CSR is probably giving you correct info for the "free" insurance.
That's exactly what the difference is. Great thing about this forum, I learn something new all the time. Thanks for explaining.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-08-2014, 10:21 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just had an minor accident with a rental, 3 months ago. The card used was my Fidelity AMEX through FIA Cardholder Services.

After 3 months I still can't get the rental car place or the other driver's insurance to say if he was injured or how much damage. He claimed he was ok at the crash site (fender bender in parking lot), the 5 y.o. county vehicle only had a scratch. I've told the rental car place to leave me alone until they will provide those details. Had to run it by my insurance, they're of the same opinion. YMMV.
This sort of answered my question as I was wondering if anyone had experience with an accident and how smooth the process went filing a claim through card covered insurance.

I had to rent a car for a few days last year (my clunker was getting repaired about 40 miles away) and just got the insurance (I know, prob not the most cost effective) with the rental and not wanting to mess with the claim should something happen. Insurance is always a waste of money until you need it
Old 08-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payin-the-Toll View Post
My regular car insurance (Liberty Mutual) covers everything but 'loss of use'(wreck car and it takes 10 days to fix, you pay 10 days rental). My Chase Mastercard didn't cover 'loss of use', but my second card (Kroger Visa) did, so I always use the Kroger Visa card to rent cards.
Same here, I use my VISA card due to the loss of use coverage, too. Compare Rental Car Company Insurance Vs. Credit Card Coverage | Bankrate.com
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payin-the-Toll View Post

I do not rent cars much and usually 2-4 days at a time maybe once or twice a year. That "loss of use" thing always scares me and all the damn fine print on everything. That is why I just pay the "walk away" fee from rental agency. Ya it's a few more bucks but for the amount it is and how little I rent it's worth it. I don't have to worry about them trying to squeeze me for a scratch. They don't even look at the car when I return it. I just don't want to get caught up in a hassle over something and get screwed. So I take the smaller screwing upfront and am done with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Just remember that your personal car insurance may only cover you for a 30 day rental period. After that, you could be on your own.

We had a three month rental and we were happy to discover that the rental agency had written up three separate contracts, so the "30 days" renewed each month.
About a year ago I was thinking about doing a long-term rental as well. I asked my insurance company about doing separate contracts for each 30 days period. I was told that they would not allow it as they would consider that a rental for longer than 30 days, separate contracts or not.
george76 is offline   Reply With Quote