Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-04-2009, 11:25 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by virginia View Post
The locks have not been changed yet. The property manager sent them a letter and told them that if they intended to break their lease that they still owed monthly rent until the expiration of the lease or until the place is rented again. Since everything was gone, she also wrote in the letter that they would be charged for cleaning the house and shampooing the carpets unless they did it by next Tuesday. The property management company said that they will call post, to include the reference that came from post and let them know the situation.
In my opinion your property manager is not doing either word of their job description.

They need to get off their dead offices, change the locks, file the eviction paperwork, and send a letter to the tenant's command. Anything else, including phone calls, is just wasted air. Once they've complied with local legal requirements for ensuring the lease is terminated and the tenants have vacated, then they can start worrying about cleaning the carpets. But if that's their first concern then, to put it politely, their priorities are out of order.

I'm sorry that everyone's timing sucks here. Hopefully you encounter these former tenants on your deployment where you can have a little heart-to-heart discussion with them about landlord-tenant responsibilities...

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!