Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Repainting over glossy paint.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:28 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Repainting over glossy paint.

I have a some stair handrails that I need to repaint. They were painted years ago with a high gloss paint, and the gloss has held out very well.

I have been advised to sand all the gloss off the paint, but others have said its only necessary to scratch the surface of the gloss

Since I am radically changing color, I will probably prime then paint the hand rails after sanding them. Is one primer better than others for use on glossy surfaces? Sanded or unsanded?

Thanks.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2014, 02:41 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Spray it with an oil based primer, like Binz or the Sherwin Williams spray primer. A couple of spray cans should be enough. You do not have to cover it completely, just enough to get a surface for the top coat to 'grab' on to. You can just use a light coat.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I would give it roughing up with some 120 grit sandpaper--no need to remove it, just enough to give the primer a grip. Then I'd do what Senator suggested. Zinnser BIN primer works very well. It stinks a bit, though. It might work fine on its own, but the sanding only takes a minute and a handrail is a demanding spot.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

A neighbor mentioned an alcohol based primer that was supposed to stick to anything. Anybody heard of that. His only warning was to have lots of ventilation and don't' breath to deeply.

Edit to add: OK, I see that the Zinsser BIN product is just that an alcohol based shellac primer. They seem to think it will stick to just about anything including glossy paint.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Before applying primer, I would clean the surface thoroughly with TSP, or TSP substitute.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:11 PM   #6

I think some of the zinnser primers say not to use tsp.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:18 PM   #7

Clean, sand lightly, prime, and paint. No need to completely remove the old paint unless it is deteriorating (cracking, peeling, etc.).
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
I think some of the zinnser primers say not to use tsp.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
I wonder why, but the horse says so, so I'd listen:

http://www.rustoleum.com/~/media/Dig...ker%20TDS.ashx

bold mine
Quote:
Surfaces should be clean, dry, sound and free of dust, dirt, excessive chalky material, grime, grease, oil, wax, mildew, wallpaper adhesive, or any contamination that may interfere with adhesion.

If unsure of cleanliness, always wash surface with household ammonia and water solution, appropriate cleaning solution or solvent (do not use TSP as a cleaner). Remove any peeling and/or unsound coatings. Sand any remaining paint film edges smooth with the surface.
I would think any handrail would have oils/dirt from hands, so I'd do the ammonia routine. I would think sanding would be a good thing, but apparently not required ( I think they are talking about sanding down any drip lines? paint film edges? is that the edge of a painted/non-painted area?).

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
(is that the edge of a painted/non-painted area?).-ERD50
Either that or where the paint has peeled away leaving other paint with hopefully good adhesion in place.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Either that or where the paint has peeled away leaving other paint with hopefully good adhesion in place.
Yes, that makes sense - thanks. -ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:22 PM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

You would not use TSP with an oil-based paint because TSP is a caustic (alkaline) (why it's good for degreasing). Oil-based paints react with alkaline surfaces to form a soap-like substance that interferes with adhesion. It is the same reason why oil-based paints are not used on concrete (because concrete, especially new concrete, has a pretty high pH).

This article explains it pretty well:
http://www.keimpaints.co.uk/fileadmi...nification.pdf
-Jackson- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jackson- View Post
You would not use TSP with an oil-based paint because TSP is a caustic (alkaline) (why it's good for degreasing).
I think there must be something else going on as well because zinsser recommends against TSP even for the water based primers (e.g. Zinsser 123).

Searching around on google, it seems like people are saying TSP might leave a residue. But in that case, wouldn't a warning to rinse off the TSP suffice?

Maybe this is just extra-boiler plate left over from the oil based instructions that they just copied over.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
I think there must be something else going on as well because zinsser recommends against TSP even for the water based primers (e.g. Zinsser 123).

Searching around on google, it seems like people are saying TSP might leave a residue. But in that case, wouldn't a warning to rinse off the TSP suffice?

Maybe this is just extra-boiler plate left over from the oil based instructions that they just copied over.
Not necessarily left over. Many coatings are effected by extreme pH. It is particularly harmful to oil-based paints because of the reaction of the oils to the alkali. It can certainly be detrimental to other types of coatings.

You're right that rinsing the TSP from the surface and bringing the pH down to a neutral level would be the right way to go. However, using a different cleaner/degreaser would prevent the possibility altogether. If possible, I would recommend cleaning with the type of solvent that makes up the paint vehicle. For an oil-based paint that might be an alcohol. For an epoxy its probably acetone, MEK or similar.

Whatever is used should be thoroughly rinsed from the surface and/or allowed to evaporate (in the case of the volatile solvents) prior to painting. Closely following the manufacturer's recommendations generally gives the best results.

As for the sanding question, completely deglossing the surface is probably the best course. I can't add much about the primer. Most of my experience is with industrial coatings like tank linings, structrual steel coatings, and concrete containments. I don't have much experience with wood. I would say the primer should be as recommended by the top-coat manufacturer. I perfer to stay with the same brand for the whole system. The primer should be compatible with the top coat, and using the primer recommended by the manufacturer assures that. For example, you would probably not overcoat an acrylic latex with an alkyd (oil-based) paint.
-Jackson- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:46 AM   #14

Thanks Jackson
Old 06-14-2014, 10:18 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

I guess I was the one that brought up the TSP question. I did say "TSP or TSP substitute", and I must confess that all I've ever used is the substitute. The bottle does say "leaves no residue" so I wonder if the warnings about TSP would apply as well to the substitute?

I've never had any problem using it, but of course that doesn't prove anything!

Anyway, thanks to all for pointing out the issue.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:50 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I did lightly sand the surface so the gloss is scratched all over and gone in a few places. I then brushed on a coat of the BIN primer.

My goodness, that stuff sticks! Unlike latex paints and even some oil based paints which I can wash off my hands, this stuff will be on my skin until the top layer of skin wears off. That's a small price to pay for a good surface to that my final coat(s) of paint will stick to.

After Father's Day is over, I will put on my first coat and then a second coat if necessary.

Tags
paint sanding