Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Repair Wii Game or CD for that matter? Advice and Rant
Old 12-22-2008, 05:25 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Repair Wii Game or CD for that matter? Advice and Rant

So DW's family had drama (again) and the annual Christmas party got messed up, and wasn't going to happen. So DW and I volunteered our house. We spent all day decorating and cooking, and asked one of the Aunts to get the last minute invites out to the rest of the family who hadn't heard. She "forgot" to call her least favorite sister (and then showed up way late herself) causing more drama. But we weathered it, and kept our temper...until we saw what happened to our Wii.

We had set it up in the garage (which is more like a play room with nice flooring foosball table, chairs etc. - no car stuff) and as we were cleaning up we found that the tweeners had essentially trashed it - pieces on the floor, game cases bent backwards and covers trashed, drinks spilled on them. Now if we were talking about 5 year olds, well, shame on us. But these "kids" are between 11-20 now. The total disregard for our stuff really pi**ed me off. Those that slept over were forbidden today from playing (much pouting was involved) and I managed to calmly explain consequences rather than shake people until teeth fell out.

But to the point - one game ( Mario Kart - damn it, why that one?) was damaged beyond use. Nintendo says, "sure, mail it in and we'll repair or replace for $35 and get it to you in a few weeks". Does anyone have any tips for repairing it? I tried toothpaste, I even got 600 sand paper and polishing compound, used the buffer on my Dremel. It "looks" better, but still won't play. Any ideas?

I'm so mad. It's not the money, it's the disrespect.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You have every right to be furious!! Do you think that perhaps their parents would reimburse you?

I don't know of any way to fix it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:54 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

What's that about the unpopular sister?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
What's that about the unpopular sister?
I'm reasonably familiar with Wii games but I've never heard of this one...
Old 12-22-2008, 06:04 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm reasonably familiar with Wii games but I've never heard of this one...
Sounds like a thing with the older generation.

Laurence, you now are in the "sandwich generation"?

How are you holding up with your own side of the family?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:04 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd let the parents of the kids know what happened and hope that one of the younger ones narc. If I was the parent of the kid/kids that trashed your games, I would be rushing for my checkbook and then looking for a big rock to crawl under.
shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:52 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I know how you feel.

If you find a way to polish & make them work I'd love to hear. DD has a favorite $40 Wii game she can't play because of a scratch (apparently inflicted by a visiting cousin.)

Also a couple of visiting 4 / 5 year olds trashed one of our remotes a while back. Just had to spring for a new $40 remote.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:36 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately the kids learn from the parents. Next time they'll ask for it and I'll tell them why they can't play it and wait for the screaming from the adults.

I hear rubbing alcohol helps (I guess it dissolves a thin layer?)
Old 12-23-2008, 01:44 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

If i were the arbiter of justice the play room would now be off limits to the suspected perpetrators of such a calous disregard for some one elses stuff.
As for the Mario Kart disc?buying a new one is your only option.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:54 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I'm very sorry to hear about what happened to your Wii and room. Obviously these kids have no boundaries. From here forward, keeping your digital toys under lock and key is very appropriate.
Any complainers ? Simply invite them to bring THEIR equipment to be trashed by the horde.

Repairing a scratched CD - see Digital Innovations Skip Dr MD at Staples®

The customer reviews are mixed for its effectiveness. In general, optical media with minor surface scratches can be repaired. If the scratch is deep, the recorded data is compromised and can be filed under "forget it".
Old 12-23-2008, 09:43 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
So DW's family had drama (again) and the annual Christmas party got messed up, and wasn't going to happen. So DW and I volunteered our house. We spent all day decorating and cooking, and asked one of the Aunts to get the last minute invites out to the rest of the family who hadn't heard. She "forgot" to call her least favorite sister (and then showed up way late herself) causing more drama. But we weathered it, and kept our temper...until we saw what happened to our Wii.

We had set it up in the garage (which is more like a play room with nice flooring foosball table, chairs etc. - no car stuff) and as we were cleaning up we found that the tweeners had essentially trashed it - pieces on the floor, game cases bent backwards and covers trashed, drinks spilled on them. Now if we were talking about 5 year olds, well, shame on us. But these "kids" are between 11-20 now. The total disregard for our stuff really pi**ed me off. Those that slept over were forbidden today from playing (much pouting was involved) and I managed to calmly explain consequences rather than shake people until teeth fell out.

But to the point - one game ( Mario Kart - damn it, why that one?) was damaged beyond use. Nintendo says, "sure, mail it in and we'll repair or replace for $35 and get it to you in a few weeks". Does anyone have any tips for repairing it? I tried toothpaste, I even got 600 sand paper and polishing compound, used the buffer on my Dremel. It "looks" better, but still won't play. Any ideas?

I'm so mad. It's not the money, it's the disrespect.
Make a big deal about it, and see who comes up with the money........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:51 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I'd just give up and replace the game. Situations like this make me glad that it only cost a $35 harbinger to learn that I need a new family.

Are you guys able to start creating your own Family Laurence traditions that don't have to depend on extraordinary diplomatic skills & extended negotiations?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:51 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post

Repairing a scratched CD - see Digital Innovations Skip Dr MD at Staples®

The customer reviews are mixed for its effectiveness. In general, optical media with minor surface scratches can be repaired. If the scratch is deep, the recorded data is compromised and can be filed under "forget it".

No matter how deep the scratch is it can be repaired by polishing the surface enough, the actual data is kept on a thin film under the label, a scratch to the label or using ammonia cleaners(windex) will destroy the data.

It sounds like you've polished out all the scratches and if it still won't play the CD probably has a thin crack on the inner ring from taking it out of the case. I don't know why thay make that little spindle in the case grab onto the cd so hard, unless it's to try and get you to buy a new one when that one breaks.
Frugality_of_Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:58 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'd just give up and replace the game. Situations like this make me glad that it only cost a $35 harbinger to learn that I need a new family.

Are you guys able to start creating your own Family Laurence traditions that don't have to depend on extraordinary diplomatic skills & extended negotiations?
Got a deal on a new boxed game with a wheel which we will re-gift to our friends in the Bay Area ( she doesn't know she's getting a Wii for x-mas, we contacter her husband so he doesn't buy a second wheel).

Nords, you mentioned that before and DW and I had discussed it. This week (this morning, in fact) we decided we'll be shaking things up next Christmas. We have bent over backwards for a decade, and this is only the latest of a line of "thanks". It's not vindictiveness on their part, just utter selfishness. I don't want Tori and Olivia to ever think this behaivior is acceptable. At 18 months Olivia already does more to clean up after herself and share nicely.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:07 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

We gave up hosting a Christmas gathering of DH's sibs about six years ago. When you buy all the food,(two meals) cook all the food, serve all the food, and then clean it all up, you begin to feel used. Although we enjoyed their company, it was clear that DH, as the oldest, was expected to foot the bill forever. I suggested that we rotate hosts and the silence was deafening.
shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:08 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
At 18 months Olivia already does more to clean up after herself and share nicely.
I'm amazed at how many kids in our neighborhood/school are blissfully ignorant of how to do a load of laundry, cook a meal, clean a kitchen, load/start the dishwasher, run a vacuum cleaner...

But their parents never hesitate to complain about their (over)workload.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:14 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe View Post
We gave up hosting a Christmas gathering of DH's sibs about six years ago. When you buy all the food,(two meals) cook all the food, serve all the food, and then clean it all up, you begin to feel used. Although we enjoyed their company, it was clear that DH, as the oldest, was expected to foot the bill forever. I suggested that we rotate hosts and the silence was deafening.
What time is dinner? I'll be right over!
Smart move on the rotating hosts.