Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Repair Wii Game or CD for that matter? Advice and Rant
Old 12-22-2008, 06:25 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
Repair Wii Game or CD for that matter? Advice and Rant

So DW's family had drama (again) and the annual Christmas party got messed up, and wasn't going to happen. So DW and I volunteered our house. We spent all day decorating and cooking, and asked one of the Aunts to get the last minute invites out to the rest of the family who hadn't heard. She "forgot" to call her least favorite sister (and then showed up way late herself) causing more drama. But we weathered it, and kept our temper...until we saw what happened to our Wii.

We had set it up in the garage (which is more like a play room with nice flooring foosball table, chairs etc. - no car stuff) and as we were cleaning up we found that the tweeners had essentially trashed it - pieces on the floor, game cases bent backwards and covers trashed, drinks spilled on them. Now if we were talking about 5 year olds, well, shame on us. But these "kids" are between 11-20 now. The total disregard for our stuff really pi**ed me off. Those that slept over were forbidden today from playing (much pouting was involved) and I managed to calmly explain consequences rather than shake people until teeth fell out.


But to the point - one game ( Mario Kart - damn it, why that one?) was damaged beyond use. Nintendo says, "sure, mail it in and we'll repair or replace for $35 and get it to you in a few weeks". Does anyone have any tips for repairing it? I tried toothpaste, I even got 600 sand paper and polishing compound, used the buffer on my Dremel. It "looks" better, but still won't play. Any ideas?

I'm so mad. It's not the money, it's the disrespect.
__________________

__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2008, 06:43 PM   #2
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,905
You have every right to be furious!! Do you think that perhaps their parents would reimburse you?

I don't know of any way to fix it.
__________________

__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:54 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
CuppaJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: At The Cafe
Posts: 6,866
What's that about the unpopular sister?
__________________
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
What's that about the unpopular sister?
I'm reasonably familiar with Wii games but I've never heard of this one...
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
CuppaJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: At The Cafe
Posts: 6,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm reasonably familiar with Wii games but I've never heard of this one...
Sounds like a thing with the older generation.

Laurence, you now are in the "sandwich generation"?

How are you holding up with your own side of the family?
__________________
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:04 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 310
I'd let the parents of the kids know what happened and hope that one of the younger ones narc. If I was the parent of the kid/kids that trashed your games, I would be rushing for my checkbook and then looking for a big rock to crawl under.
__________________
shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:52 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Texarkandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,281
I know how you feel.

If you find a way to polish & make them work I'd love to hear. DD has a favorite $40 Wii game she can't play because of a scratch (apparently inflicted by a visiting cousin.)

Also a couple of visiting 4 / 5 year olds trashed one of our remotes a while back. Just had to spring for a new $40 remote.

__________________
Retired 2009!
Texarkandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:36 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
Unfortunately the kids learn from the parents. Next time they'll ask for it and I'll tell them why they can't play it and wait for the screaming from the adults.

I hear rubbing alcohol helps (I guess it dissolves a thin layer?)
__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:44 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.
jambo101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 940
If i were the arbiter of justice the play room would now be off limits to the suspected perpetrators of such a calous disregard for some one elses stuff.
As for the Mario Kart disc?buying a new one is your only option.
__________________
"Second star to the right and straight on till morning"
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:54 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
freebird5825's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Nowhere, 43N Latitude, NY
Posts: 9,017
I'm very sorry to hear about what happened to your Wii and room. Obviously these kids have no boundaries. From here forward, keeping your digital toys under lock and key is very appropriate.
Any complainers ? Simply invite them to bring THEIR equipment to be trashed by the horde.

Repairing a scratched CD - see Digital Innovations Skip Dr MD at StaplesŪ

The customer reviews are mixed for its effectiveness. In general, optical media with minor surface scratches can be repaired. If the scratch is deep, the recorded data is compromised and can be filed under "forget it".
__________________
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:43 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
So DW's family had drama (again) and the annual Christmas party got messed up, and wasn't going to happen. So DW and I volunteered our house. We spent all day decorating and cooking, and asked one of the Aunts to get the last minute invites out to the rest of the family who hadn't heard. She "forgot" to call her least favorite sister (and then showed up way late herself) causing more drama. But we weathered it, and kept our temper...until we saw what happened to our Wii.

We had set it up in the garage (which is more like a play room with nice flooring foosball table, chairs etc. - no car stuff) and as we were cleaning up we found that the tweeners had essentially trashed it - pieces on the floor, game cases bent backwards and covers trashed, drinks spilled on them. Now if we were talking about 5 year olds, well, shame on us. But these "kids" are between 11-20 now. The total disregard for our stuff really pi**ed me off. Those that slept over were forbidden today from playing (much pouting was involved) and I managed to calmly explain consequences rather than shake people until teeth fell out.


But to the point - one game ( Mario Kart - damn it, why that one?) was damaged beyond use. Nintendo says, "sure, mail it in and we'll repair or replace for $35 and get it to you in a few weeks". Does anyone have any tips for repairing it? I tried toothpaste, I even got 600 sand paper and polishing compound, used the buffer on my Dremel. It "looks" better, but still won't play. Any ideas?

I'm so mad. It's not the money, it's the disrespect.
Make a big deal about it, and see who comes up with the money........
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:51 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,617
I'd just give up and replace the game. Situations like this make me glad that it only cost a $35 harbinger to learn that I need a new family.

Are you guys able to start creating your own Family Laurence traditions that don't have to depend on extraordinary diplomatic skills & extended negotiations?
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:51 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.
Frugality_of_Apathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post

Repairing a scratched CD - see Digital Innovations Skip Dr MD at StaplesŪ

The customer reviews are mixed for its effectiveness. In general, optical media with minor surface scratches can be repaired. If the scratch is deep, the recorded data is compromised and can be filed under "forget it".

No matter how deep the scratch is it can be repaired by polishing the surface enough, the actual data is kept on a thin film under the label, a scratch to the label or using ammonia cleaners(windex) will destroy the data.

It sounds like you've polished out all the scratches and if it still won't play the CD probably has a thin crack on the inner ring from taking it out of the case. I don't know why thay make that little spindle in the case grab onto the cd so hard, unless it's to try and get you to buy a new one when that one breaks.
__________________
Frugality_of_Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:58 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'd just give up and replace the game. Situations like this make me glad that it only cost a $35 harbinger to learn that I need a new family.

Are you guys able to start creating your own Family Laurence traditions that don't have to depend on extraordinary diplomatic skills & extended negotiations?
Got a deal on a new boxed game with a wheel which we will re-gift to our friends in the Bay Area ( she doesn't know she's getting a Wii for x-mas, we contacter her husband so he doesn't buy a second wheel).

Nords, you mentioned that before and DW and I had discussed it. This week (this morning, in fact) we decided we'll be shaking things up next Christmas. We have bent over backwards for a decade, and this is only the latest of a line of "thanks". It's not vindictiveness on their part, just utter selfishness. I don't want Tori and Olivia to ever think this behaivior is acceptable. At 18 months Olivia already does more to clean up after herself and share nicely.
__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:07 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 310
We gave up hosting a Christmas gathering of DH's sibs about six years ago. When you buy all the food,(two meals) cook all the food, serve all the food, and then clean it all up, you begin to feel used. Although we enjoyed their company, it was clear that DH, as the oldest, was expected to foot the bill forever. I suggested that we rotate hosts and the silence was deafening.
__________________
shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:08 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
At 18 months Olivia already does more to clean up after herself and share nicely.
I'm amazed at how many kids in our neighborhood/school are blissfully ignorant of how to do a load of laundry, cook a meal, clean a kitchen, load/start the dishwasher, run a vacuum cleaner...

But their parents never hesitate to complain about their (over)workload.
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:14 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
freebird5825's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Nowhere, 43N Latitude, NY
Posts: 9,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe View Post
We gave up hosting a Christmas gathering of DH's sibs about six years ago. When you buy all the food,(two meals) cook all the food, serve all the food, and then clean it all up, you begin to feel used. Although we enjoyed their company, it was clear that DH, as the oldest, was expected to foot the bill forever. I suggested that we rotate hosts and the silence was deafening.
What time is dinner? I'll be right over!
Smart move on the rotating hosts.
__________________

__________________
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lovin' my Wii Fit! shoe Health and Early Retirement 50 03-24-2009 09:36 PM
Wheee.. a Wii Rich_by_the_Bay Other topics 78 09-14-2008 07:12 PM
Clock repair LeatherneckPA Life after FIRE 11 01-15-2007 01:23 PM
Crown Repair? BunsGettingFirm Health and Early Retirement 23 01-12-2007 09:52 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:08 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.