Replacing a hot water heater yourself

Back to original question, I just saw OP's introduction post. It sure looks like affording the cost of install and removal is not an issue.

It really isn't.....the issue is my cheapness mindset and my strong sense of independence/self sufficiency/enjoying a challenge.

Last edited:
Wait a minute, back up.. people clean behind their fridges ‽

Consider yourself fortunate that you are not married to my DW or one of her relatives. Yes, they clean up the dust that accumulates under the refrigerator.

No one knows why.:confused:

A couple of the mysteries of life.... how dust ends up under the fridge and how constantly moving ceiling fan blades collect dust.

It took me 2 hours on Sunday to remove my brother's old tank, remove old fittings and put it by the curb for trashman/ scrappers, put new tank in place, reattach old fittings, fill with water, check for leaks, light the pilot, check for leaks again, clean up my mess and put tools back in my truck.

I did have to cut, and resolder a fitting because clearance was different for the hot side and the fitting on the cold side lined right up. Can't figure that one out......

It took him longer to back up the operating system to DVDs on my new laptop and install Office 2016 for student and home/business.

I've actually opted to not replace the floor. The old vinyl that now shows has a few stains and spots, but the kitchen looks much bigger (it's small) and brighter without the dark laminate.

I love sheet vinyl.

Earlier this year I had new vinyl installed over the old (original, builder grade) for under $500, which included the installer running several more screws through the subfloor to eliminate squeaks, plus moving the appliances, plus new quarter-round.

Nice and "giving" underfoot, glass/ceramic has a fighting chance if dropped. :)

Winemaker you done good! I replaced mine today and it took 6.5 hrs.
Mine was electric 50 gal, two of the hours the old one was draining.

This thread inspired me to check ours it was 19 yr old the previous one died at 21 yrs.
Since I had recently re-tiled the laundry room floor I decided to change it out before it failed.
New 50 gal tanks are a little taller so I guess they have more insulation. So I went with a 40 gal tank ($350 at HD)

so it would fit under the inlet/outlet and since all our kids are moved out. I replaced all the fitting and installed quake straps.
I had to replace the conduit and wires since it was about 10" lower than old one.
Electrical specs were pretty much the same as the old one. The new tank even came with 3/4 nipples already
mounted on the top and insulation to cover the inlet/outlet pipes. The new one also has the relief valve on the top
whereas the old one had it on the side so I have to redo the piping for that.

Last edited:
Wait a minute, back up.. people clean behind their fridges ‽

In all the houses we've owned/rented over the last 20+ years I don't recall moving the fridge once. Ever.

What are you doing behind there that requires clean up after... :LOL:

I clean behind the fridge every time I get a new refrigerator.

Ice maker water lines and washing machine water lines are notorious for flooding.

Sorry to get off topic, but here is a washing machine hose I just came across. It was in my rental that my tenants just moved out. I did not install the machine, not had I ever seen the hose until this day.

Luckily I caught it...

I have had MANY braided stainless steel lines fail on water heaters. Do not use a braided stainless steel hose on a water heater to make things easier. A pin hole would develop and spray water at a pretty fast volume.

Attachments

• 0811171412.jpg
    0811171412.jpg
    605.2 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom