Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Replacing an iPhone Battery...
Old 06-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Replacing an iPhone Battery...

What happens when the battery in your iPhone nears the end of its life?

You replace the whole phone...

That's right. I had the chance to experience Apple's "battery replacement program". Basically, you turn in your iPhone with a dying battery to the nearest Apple store and... they give you a new iPhone (same model and color as the original iPhone). All for about $80. It may sound expensive for a battery replacement, but considering that you get a brand new iPhone out of the deal, I think it's pretty good stuff.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There are third-party services which will swap out batteries.

Apple will probably try to fix and then put it in their refurb stock. Or if it needs to be recycled, make sure it's done right, we hope.

At this point though, most people would be upgrading to iPhone4 if they could? You can even reduce your monthly payments by downgrading to new data plans which allow less data. But you can check to see how much 3G data you were using.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:58 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You may be able to replace the battery yourself. I just replaced the battery in an iPod Mini and the seller on ebay sells replacement batteries and parts for many Apple products. My battery was $3.49 and the shipping was free.

Here's his eBay store -
GadgetTown items - Get great deals on Blackberry, iPod Accessories items on eBay Stores!

IPhone replacement batteries, all under $10 -
http://stores.ebay.com/GadgetTown_iPhone-Accessories_W0QQ_fsubZ1491290014QQ_sidZ769594574?_ nkw=iphone+replacement+battery&submit=Search

Fast shipping.

When I researched doing this online I found easy instructions and videos. The battery I bought on eBay included the plastic prying tools but no instructions so I used the instructions from online.

The hardest part was getting the thing open and it wasn't all that tough. The whole thing took me 15 minutes and then I had to wait for the unit to fully charge before I checked if everything worked ok. Now my husband has his own iPod!
Old 06-21-2010, 01:43 PM   #4

AFAIK replacing an iphone battery requires soldering. This can be done but its not just clip in a new battery.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
AFAIK replacing an iphone battery requires soldering. This can be done but its not just clip in a new battery.
according to the links above that's not the case with 3G phones. Worth taking a sub-$10 flier on the experiment for me. All it takes is a youtube video, an itty-bitty screwdriver, a prystick (eying you, butterknife), and a medium sized hammer.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #6

Cr@p, 1st Gen iphone here.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Well here you go - read this while looking into the links - $200 credit for a working 1st gen phone..
Rapid Repair - iPhone 3G Take-Apart-Guide Repair by RapidRepair
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
according to the links above that's not the case with 3G phones. Worth taking a sub-$10 flier on the experiment for me. All it takes is a youtube video, an itty-bitty screwdriver, a prystick (eying you, butterknife), and a medium sized hammer.
Videos show that you can use a suction cup on the glass face instead of prying it open with a butterknife.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I've heard claims that people are selling used iPhones, at least the 3GS, for like $500-600 on Craigslist and eBay.

I guess people jailbreak them so the buyers would be able to use T-Mobile, even though you can't have a good Internet experience using their network for data. But certainly T-Mobile plans cost a lot less or you could use their prepaid plans.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote