Replacing Basement Vent Screens

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Related to the mouse issue from another thread, I have a number of these vents on the foundation of our house.

Vent.jpg

On two of them the screen has rusted through. I don't think I can remove and replace the whole vent assembly, since it's essentially cemented into place. I can't easily attach a new screen on the outside, unless I drill into the cement. Same thing for the inside.

One idea would be to attach a wood frame around it with bolts into the cement, than attach screen to that.

Gluing doesn't seem robust enough.

Any suggestions?

I like your idea of a (pressure treated) wood frame. I'd use Tapcon screws to affix it to the concrete. You could remove the frame in the future to change out the screen again if needed.

Crawlspace ventilation is controversial. There's a good case to be made for permanently closing up the vents, laying plastic (or even a thin 1.5" "rat slab" of concrete) over any exposed soil, and insulating the inside of the crawlspace walls (rigid foam or spray-on foam). Some experts even recommend making such a sealed up crawlspace part of the building's conditioned air envelope. The payoff is reduced energy use and improved indoor air quality (through lower moisture levels). Just in case you are looking for another project.

"New Light on Crawlspaces"
Top Ten Dumb Things to do in the South--No, this isn't about NASCAR, and your house isn't in Dixie, but it is in a humid area that is not unlike the Southern US in some respects. Take from this what you like.

idea

I think I would cut a patch to the size of each side out of hardware cloth from the home depot. Then I would buy a hog-ring kit from there also and attach it to the existing screen.
Cheaper, quicker and easier.
helios

.........Crawlspace ventilation is controversial. There's a good case to be made for permanently closing up the vents, laying plastic (or even a thin 1.5" "rat slab" of concrete) over any exposed soil, and insulating the inside of the crawlspace walls (rigid foam or spray-on foam)............

I did this on my (now) DW's house and it made a world of difference. No more musty smell in the summer and no more cold floors in the winter. The linked articles explain the rationale well. I did find a mummified 'possum under there while I was laying the plastic sheeting.

Thanks for the suggestions. I went with the frame idea. Today I made and installed one

NewVent 001.jpg

and tomorrow I'll go into mass production and make eight more.

Back
Top Bottom