Join Early Retirement Today
Old 04-01-2016, 10:14 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
We have a friend in Ramona who's neighbor's house burned down in the Cedar fire - they think the flames got inside the house when the vinyl melted, panes fell out, and flames had ingress to the house. That said - they didn't have a fire zone landscaping near their house - and a shrub was right outside the window in question. So you have to be careful on many fronts... Landscaping, screen size (smaller mesh = better) in the eaves and vents, avoiding shake shingle roofs....
I am doing the fire zone landscaping. It will be pretty easy. A major fire went through here about 13 years ago. The major landscaping effort was removing all of the down tree trunks. I have enough fire wood to last the rest of my life. I will be using rocks for 10 feet out around the house and limited vegetation out to 200 feet. The siding is made out of mostly concrete.

Hermit is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2016, 11:39 PM   #22
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
R40 in the ceiling yes. In the wall - no. Most of California is recommended at R13 in the walls. That is standard fiberglass in 2x4 walls.
We don't all live in CA, although perhaps we wish we had the weather

Here we can go R60 in attic, and if you have 2x6 walls you get more R value, without going crazy with an R2000 standard.

Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:28 AM   #23
We have a 160 year old house in a designated historic district. About 6 years ago, we replaced all 33 of the original 6 over 6 double hung windows with these

Ultimate Double Hung Windows | Marvin Windows

Yes, they were expensive - about $1000 per window installed - but they are the closest in appearance to the originals (key if you live in an historic district) and, because they are double-pane, we were able to get rid of the aluminum storm windows for a better look. We have been very happy with them.
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:04 AM   #24
We had the windows replaced in our house, when we had the house remodeled last year. We bought Pella, double hung, double pane, low e, argon windows. It is so nice to be able to open and close them by myself. Our contractor that remodeled our house installed them.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:46 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I replaced 20+ windows in our place last year with Infinity from Marvin. We preferred the fiberglass widows to other that we looked at. So far so good. The cost was under $18K.

Part-Owner of Texas

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote