Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-25-2018, 08:22 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
OP here, gosh I can't believe these problems with the newer Lexus RXs. We have had hardly any problems with our 2006 and the paint still looks great. I have loved this car. Maybe we should just replace the hoses, fix the power steering and keep going another 100,000 miles. I really would like the rearview camera, maybe get an aftermarket camera installed?
This is what I would do. I'm driving a 1993 Lexus GS300 with ~164K miles and after next week I'll have driven it on about 60 hours of road trips across six western states this summer. It is showing some wear and tear but I still consider it trustworthy for long trips.

Also, I would consider hoses to be a maintenance item just like windshield wipers, tires, brakes, batteries, etc. Once you replace them that part of the car will work just as well as a new car, probably for that additional 100K miles you're hoping for.

Whenever I have something done on my car, I ask if the thing lasted as long as it should have and if there is anything maintenance-wise I could have done to extend it. So far with the Lexus (and the Toyota before it), the answers are "Yes" and "Nothing".

In the first four years I've owned this car, I've spent $2,790 on repairs. Of that amount, $1,733 is from stupid mistakes I've made that were not the car's fault. So basically $250 a year in repairs, which I consider very reasonable for a car that is 25 years old this year.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2018, 08:54 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
This is what I would do. I'm driving a 1993 Lexus GS300 with ~164K miles and after next week I'll have driven it on about 60 hours of road trips across six western states this summer. It is showing some wear and tear but I still consider it trustworthy for long trips.

Also, I would consider hoses to be a maintenance item just like windshield wipers, tires, brakes, batteries, etc. Once you replace them that part of the car will work just as well as a new car, probably for that additional 100K miles you're hoping for.

Whenever I have something done on my car, I ask if the thing lasted as long as it should have and if there is anything maintenance-wise I could have done to extend it. So far with the Lexus (and the Toyota before it), the answers are "Yes" and "Nothing".

In the first four years I've owned this car, I've spent $2,790 on repairs. Of that amount, $1,733 is from stupid mistakes I've made that were not the car's fault. So basically $250 a year in repairs, which I consider very reasonable for a car that is 25 years old this year.

Yes, hoses are a maintenance item.... I have taken in a couple of cars and had all hoses replaced... around 100K.... I do not want to lose a hose, get it replaced, lose another in a month or so, repeat...

BTW, I was really pissed once when I did this.... I was driving to the airport and I got a busted hose!!! REALLY, I just paid to have them all replaced 6 months earlier... well, the guy did NOT change one small hose that was a bit hard to get to and that was the one that blew... when I say ALL, I mean ALL....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:10 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Please elaborate. I have a 2007 ES 350 and love it. It has 160K miles and seems to have no problems so plan to keep it as long as I can. But I’m interested in hearing what you don’t like about the 2017.
We also loved our 2009. It was at the point of needing ~$1.5K in work and since it only had a backup camera, we decided to upgrade to a current model with all the safety features. What I don't like:

1. Scratches all over the car. Clearly a sub-par paint job.

2. Blind spot warning is visual only and no way to get an audible warning.

3. Will not recognize when you are in reverse and a person walks behind your car. Yes, I know I really need to look and not rely on technology. Lexus says this is normal.

4. The redundant joystick that takes away from any additional small areas on the console for your stuff. It's hard enough to remember how to access what I don't access on a regular basis so give me that OR the joystick...I don't need both.

5. Coffee cupholder area sucks. Give me a place, with easy access, to stow my kleenex.

6. Whoever designed the seats (a former airline seat designer ) has a special place in h**l. They are 1" thinner than our 2009 and have 3 seams instead of the 'usual 2'. As a result, due to my ongoing hip bursitis, I am unable to drive this car w/o excruciating pain. Unfortunately, the hip pain manifested itself a few weeks after we bought the car . DH also finds the seats not as comfortable as the 2009 or our 2016 Acura RDX. Neither of us are obese, however, the seats were designed for a size 2 person weighing 120 lbs. Obviously this issue is not the fault of Lexus, but if I have to live with the hip pain (other medical issues are causing it and I may have to live with a certain level of pain), we'll be getting rid of the car.

I have never hated a car as much as this one. You asked .
TrvlBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:46 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Interested in this discussion! I have a 2005 RX 330, that I love. Not sure what I would do if something happened to it. The new ones are too BIG!
CountryGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:50 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

2001 to 2006 was the "prime" engineering years for Lexus. I think they are coming back, but there was a dip in quality.

We still drive a 2001 and 2004 LS 430. Hard to find nicer riding/better built cars. Just beautiful cars. The 04 has 72k miles now.

I would put $1,000 into some repairs and keep driving the RX 330. $1,000 or $2,000 pales in comparison to paying $30k+ for a new/used one that may have issues too.

My kids drive an 05 ES 330 and 07 ES 350. I think the 05 is a better car. The 07 has a different design and some different features, but the build quality doesn't feel as good.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
We also loved our 2009. It was at the point of needing ~$1.5K in work and since it only had a backup camera, we decided to upgrade to a current model with all the safety features. What I don't like:

3. Will not recognize when you are in reverse and a person walks behind your car. Yes, I know I really need to look and not rely on technology. Lexus says this is normal.

4. The redundant joystick that takes away from any additional small areas on the console for your stuff. It's hard enough to remember how to access what I don't access on a regular basis so give me that OR the joystick...I don't need both.

5. Coffee cupholder area sucks. Give me a place, with easy access, to stow my kleenex.

6. Whoever designed the seats (a former airline seat designer ) has a special place in h**l. They are 1" thinner than our 2009 and have 3 seams instead of the 'usual 2'. As a result, due to my ongoing hip bursitis, I am unable to drive this car w/o excruciating pain. Unfortunately, the hip pain manifested itself a few weeks after we bought the car . DH also finds the seats not as comfortable as the 2009 or our 2016 Acura RDX. Neither of us are obese, however, the seats were designed for a size 2 person weighing 120 lbs. Obviously this issue is not the fault of Lexus, but if I have to live with the hip pain (other medical issues are causing it and I may have to live with a certain level of pain), we'll be getting rid of the car.

7. The seat assignment and key don't talk to each other. By that I mean we have to press the assigned seat position number in order for the seat to adjust to our input preferences. In my Acura, the system automatically adjusts to the driver's assigned position; no pressing the appropriate button is necessary.
TrvlBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:50 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I have owned an RX-300 and an RX-350. Still have the 350, but I bought new Outback Limited. It has all the luxury features of the RX-350 and more. And the new ones are much cheaper than the Lexus. The outback and lexus are about the same size parked right next to each other, too. Since both are Japanese cars, the controls are practically all the same, too.
Interesting.. we have a Subaru Outback Limited and really like it.... I think it is a great value but never thought to compare it to an RX-350... though it probably is Subaru doesn't have the cachet that Lexus does.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:03 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a 2001 RX 300 that has about 220k miles on it that we bought brand new. It runs great, but there are a few other things that need work, like electric door locks not working properly. Our son is in drivers ed, and this will be his car while still here. In November, we replaced it with a 2017 RX 350 (the "Luxury" trim) and absolutely love it. According to my wife, the only draw back is it doesn't have Apple CarPlay, which we recently had in a rental car and really liked. Hopefully it will last 200k+ miles as well. I also have a 2010 HS 250 hybrid which I really like as well. We've never really had any problems with Lexus as far as service or quality goes.
kevdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:16 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

We have both of these but we bought the top of the line RX350, so maybe they are upgrades. BTW - we have never paid so much for a car before ($60k+), but it was nice to finally splurge on something nice.
kevdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:38 AM   #30

Quote:

Thanks for sharing. We aren’t in the market right now but these are things I’ll look for whenever we do decide to buy again.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:22 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Yes, hoses are a maintenance item.... I have taken in a couple of cars and had all hoses replaced... around 100K.... I do not want to lose a hose, get it replaced, lose another in a month or so, repeat...

BTW, I was really pissed once when I did this.... I was driving to the airport and I got a busted hose!!! REALLY, I just paid to have them all replaced 6 months earlier... well, the guy did NOT change one small hose that was a bit hard to get to and that was the one that blew... when I say ALL, I mean ALL....
At 200K, it's probably also time to spring for a new radiator, as well as anything else with plastic content that comes in contact with engine coolant.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:08 PM   #32

The new Lexus RX AWD would be at or near the top of my list to replace my 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel) except I cannot stand the look of the thing. Friends and relatives have various Lexi and I respect the company but just cannot buy a vehicle whose looks irritate me so much.
Right now I'm waiting on a Volvo XC40 but may go back to a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. Love the look and the functionality (4WD) of the Jeep but don't like its repair record.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:11 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I have owned an RX-300 and an RX-350. Still have the 350, but I bought new Outback Limited. It has all the luxury features of the RX-350 and more. And the new ones are much cheaper than the Lexus. The outback and lexus are about the same size parked right next to each other, too. Since both are Japanese cars, the controls are practically all the same, too.
I too had an RX330 and am now an Outback Limited convert. Our 2016 model has about 30K miles of flawless performance so far. Comfortable and lots of safety features, some of which took getting used to. But now I cannot imagine driving without them.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:50 PM   #34

I am surprised to hear from disgruntled Lexus owners. I had always thought of Lexus as a class company with excellent products. I bought a 2015 Highlander, not the absolute top of the trim line, but the 2nd from the top. I really like it, very comfortable for me. So far, approaching 3 years, and 36K, no issues, but I realize it's still a baby. Would have loved to have bought the Lexus version, but didn't want to spend the extra $, and the dealer is way farther away.

I was also surprised to hear someone reference their 2010 Highlander as "the car from hell". Was that a categorically bad year for Highlanders, or just a bad apple?

I can't get comfortable in an Outback. DW, DS, and DD all have or had them, and I find them very tough on my hips, and back.

DW's Outback was not a very reliable car, which I found surprising since I thought Subaru had a reputation for reliability, but all of the issues that plagued hers were common. We didn't even get a 100K miles out of it before we got tired of throwing money into it.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:57 PM   #35
gone traveling

Quote:
I own a 2006 Lexus RX 330. I LOVE the car, .
Interesting to me that you refer to it as a "car" which to me is a sedan or smaller. Just me I guess.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:02 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
I am surprised to hear from disgruntled Lexus owners. I had always thought of Lexus as a class company with excellent products. I bought a 2015 Highlander, not the absolute top of the trim line, but the 2nd from the top. I really like it, very comfortable for me. So far, approaching 3 years, and 36K, no issues, but I realize it's still a baby. Would have loved to have bought the Lexus version, but didn't want to spend the extra $, and the dealer is way farther away.

I was also surprised to hear someone reference their 2010 Highlander as "the car from hell". Was that a categorically bad year for Highlanders, or just a bad apple?

I can't get comfortable in an Outback. DW, DS, and DD all have or had them, and I find them very tough on my hips, and back.

DW's Outback was not a very reliable car, which I found surprising since I thought Subaru had a reputation for reliability, but all of the issues that plagued hers were common. We didn't even get a 100K miles out of it before we got tired of throwing money into it.
We have a 2012 Highlander that is my DW's daily driver with a little over 70K miles. We haven't had any issues and it seems to be built very well. You would think that Lexus would be of similar quality.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:30 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I am thinking of getting a newer RX 350 with lower mileage and the newer safety features like a back up camera. I don't like the new front grill so I am looking at models before the new front which is I think around 2016.

You are not alone on the front grill of the new models - what is that, a scowling face? My wife drives a 2012 RX350 and I told her to keep it until they fix that horrible appearance on the new ones.
bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:50 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, back 8-10 years ago I thought sure that an RX350 was going to be my next SUV, but that front end really turns me off. I don't need the most stylish vehicle, but I can't take ugly. Like someone else mentioned, I didn't like that joystick taking up valuable center console space either, but my impression is that it is optional? Anyway, when it came time to buy 4 years ago, I went with the Forester and have no regrets.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 01:29 PM   #39

OP should repair their vehicle.

Backup camera and blind spot monitor can be added, though the latter requires professional installation.

My in-laws love their slightly used RX350, but they paid through the nose for their CPO model.

And while it's great for the two of them, we found the rear seat room lacking.

I'd pick a new Outback/Forester any day of the week over a new/CPO RX350.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 03:41 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
I'd pick a new Outback/Forester any day of the week over a new/CPO RX350.
To be fair, our 2011 CPO RX350 bought in 2014 cost thousands of dollars less than our 2018 Outback.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote