Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-06-2014, 06:04 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There used to be bare-knuckled fighters, too.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
How about those barefoot runners in parts of the world where they can't afford shoes or tribal people chasing cattle all day with bare feet. Weren't feet adapted for walking long distances? Maybe wearing these high end shoes is the problem, just curious.
There is a famous running book...I can't remember the title at the moment, but it discusses a study where barefoot running was compared to running with traditional running shoes. The rate of injuries was much higher with shoes than barefoot. And the study concluded that the more padding the shoes have, the worse off they are for you. The flat shoes with no padding are better than the $150 Nike's with all kinds of pumps and layers of cushion.

I used to walk several miles a day in running shoes. About three months ago I stopped wearing running shoes and now I only walk barefoot when exercising. My feet feel far better, and I now find that when I wear running shoes my feet hurt because they can't flex nearly as much as when I walk barefoot.

If barefoot walking is not for you, you may want to try to shoes with no cushion, where you can see each toe individually. They allow a lot more flexing of your foot muscles and are supposed to be very similar to walking barefoot. And if you don't like those, then just buy the cheapest running shoes you feel comfortable in. There is no proof that the extra expensive stuff adds any value beyond cosmetics.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:24 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Our bodies were designed to walk and run barefoot, but we've spent years and years in padded, cushioned, and shaped shoes. While protecting our feet, the shoes have also made them weak. I agree that barefoot running is a good thing, but one must ease into it and give the feet time to get strong gradually, otherwise risk major injury.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
EXACTLY! Although I include my running shoes in my Clothing category, not Medical Expenses, still, I regard good shoes not as a luxury, but as a medical necessity. This has become much more important to me after age 50 than it was during my first half century.

And MichaelB, if you have a good, comfortable shoe, you are in good shape and you shouldn't have too much trouble finding it or something like it. Once you find a shoe that works for you, it's worth the extra effort and expense to find that same shoe or as close to it as is presently being manufactured by the same manufacturer.
I understand and agree completely. New Balance, in all it's wisdom, chose to discontinue the line I used and not replace it. So far no luck finding another. One nice thing about being retired, I have time to look.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:36 AM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm very lucky if I can make it 400 miles in a pair of shoes. Seems like the soles wear out more quickly these days. Makes me feel like the shoe companies aren't using the same quality materials they used to use. I replace just about every other month and have been averaging 2K per year. Gets expensive, but keeping the feet happy is well worth it.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:13 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
If barefoot walking is not for you, you may want to try to shoes with no cushion, where you can see each toe individually. They allow a lot more flexing of your foot muscles and are supposed to be very similar to walking barefoot. And if you don't like those, then just buy the cheapest running shoes you feel comfortable in. There is no proof that the extra expensive stuff adds any value beyond cosmetics.
Even though I run primarily on hard surfaces I use to buy trail running shoes for the extra cushion thinking it would be better for me. I recently bought a pair of very light weight and flexible running shoes that I planned on using only in the occasional 5K races I run in but found that my feet/legs feel so much better with these that I now use them all the time.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:22 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I imagine the number of miles before switching off depends a lot on one's weight. Heavier people are going to stress shoes more.

I too have read 500 miles is a good change off point. I mark my shoes with a sharpie (small print in the back of shoe above heal) with month/year. Then I keep a running log. Once I forgot to change off and got a bit of pain in the knee area at about 550 miles.

After maybe 475 miles I wash them up and use them as walking shoes. They look remarkably spiffy after a decent hand washing with just warm water and scrubbing. I also keep a pair around for gardening work.

Running is a cheap sport. Your feet will appreciate good foot protection.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:31 AM   #28

I'm curious how everybody keeps track of the number of miles on your shoes. I'm not trying to be funny, but do you keep track in your head or keep some kind of log? I have no idea how many miles are on my shoes.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:35 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
I'm curious how everybody keeps track of the number of miles on your shoes. I'm not trying to be funny, but do you keep track in your head or keep some kind of log? I have no idea how many miles are on my shoes.
I log my miles on a desk calendar. Total them every week and month.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #30

Quote:
I expect most people know the distance they cover and the numner of times per week the go out.

Another question: do shoes wear down on an elliptical at the same rate as if walking? My guess is the they would last much longer because there is no pounding.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #31

There is something real about old shoes an shin splints according to my daughters running coach. I wish I new about the barefoot thing, would have saved me a bunch of money!
Old 04-07-2014, 09:56 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I guess you skipped over my post
Old 04-07-2014, 09:58 AM   #33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I understand and agree completely. New Balance, in all it's wisdom, chose to discontinue the line I used and not replace it. So far no luck finding another. One nice thing about being retired, I have time to look.
What a drag! I am so lucky that New Balance continued the line I use. They just add 1 to the model number of my shoe when they tweak it, but basically it is the same shoe that I have been wearing since 2002. If they stopped making it, I would be devastated and it would take me a while to find just the right shoe. I would probably start by doing an internet search to find out what other devotees of that model have switched to. It might even help to shoot off an e-mail to New Balance to ask them what they recommend.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:04 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Another thing that affects shoe cushion is the surface you run on. I run on hilly terrain and am light weight for a male. Heavy guys on asphalt will probably need to change shoes more often.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I guess you skipped over my post
Who reads posts from a bear? Blue rabbits are much more interesting.

Seriously, there is so much skim reading going on in these threads. Sometimes I think I've made a good point (or 2) and find that nobody seems to have noticed. Genius is underrated on the Internet.