Required physical at work

scubamonkey

Recycles dryer sheets
My employer is requiring a comprehensive physical on Sr. Mangement by a health provider of their choice. They will be notified of the results.

I am uncomfortable with this issue. Is this normal procedures for Sr. Managment positions?

scubamonkey said:
My employer is requiring a comprehensive physical on Sr. Mangement by a health provider of their choice. They will be notified of the results.

I am uncomfortable with this issue. Is this normal procedures for Sr. Managment positions?

It is not rare, similar to "key person" life insurance. I would request from the doctor a note stating that you are medically fit to meet the duties and responsibilities of your job, nothing more. If they ask for more, you can decide whether or not you wish to comply. Your concerns about confidentiality are appropriate, IMHO.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
It is not rare, similar to "key person" life insurance. I would request from the doctor a note stating that you are medically fit to meet the duties and responsibilities of your job, nothing more. If they ask for more, you can decide whether or not you wish to comply. Your concerns about confidentiality are appropriate, IMHO.

I was thinking scubamonkey's company may be preparing a quotation request for life insurance for "key persons"?

justin said:
I was thinking scubamonkey's company may be preparing a quotation request for life insurance for "key persons"?

Could be, but those are usually done by midlevel health providers hired by the insurance company. They need your doctor's records to review, but usually he or she is not the one doing the insurance physical.

Martha said:
I would ask why.
The reason given was something along the lines of "it is important to the stockholders that there is no major interuption of business due to surprise health issues from key personnel, and of course if anything shows up it is easier to treat at the early stages".

I may just be paranoid, but sometimes I can see Catbert (the evil HR director) when this kind of stuff is presented. ;)

I get a physical annually. The cost is covered by our employer provided health insurance. I am glad to know that I have no problems ... yet.

So I am not sure the gist of your concern. If it's just a confidentiality issue, I'm not sure I can help. If there is something that you already know and they don't, then I'm sure I cannot help.

But if you are worried they will find something of concern that you don't know about,
maybe you could pay for a comprehensive physical and see the results and then decide what you want to do.

If there are exposures in the workplace they may need a base line physical.

I agree, ask who will be seeing the results of the physical and how will the information be used.

Give me a break on the "interruption of business" statement, that's balony. If they want a statement from your physician that you have had a physical and are complying with the MD's directions that should be sufficient.

scubamonkey said:
The reason given was something along the lines of "it is important to the stockholders that there is no major interuption of business due to surprise health issues from key personnel, and of course if anything shows up it is easier to treat at the early stages".

I may just be paranoid, but sometimes I can see Catbert (the evil HR director) when this kind of stuff is presented. ;)

BS detector is flashing red lights here. I bet there are all sorts of nasty consumer protection/privacy laws you could invoke if you have to.

scubamonkey said:

When I was eligible for executive perks, one of the companies I worked for offered a free, very thorough physical as part of the benefit package. You could take advantage of it and the results would be available to the company, or you could choose not to take advantage of it. :)

scubamonkey said:
Sounds like someone is wondering exactly what you alleged senior "managers" are smoking...

scubamonkey said:
The reason given was something along the lines of "it is important to the stockholders that there is no major interuption of business due to surprise health issues from key personnel, and ...

I just can't let this go, I know. When the moment is right :D the following comment is appropriate: "It is important to our stockholders that the firm have a succession plan that is implemented. Surely you have such a plan for key executives, and I am flattered that you evidently consider me among them. I am not aware that there is a plan for my department. Will you work with me on that??"

Setting aside age related risks, or risks from lifestyle issues, accidents must be considered. Key executives should never fly on the same aircraft, for example.

Are your peers receiving similar directions? If not, someone may be concerned about your health.

Back
Top Bottom