Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Residency...as it relates to college
Old 06-28-2009, 09:00 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Residency...as it relates to college

Our current plans have us moving to Florida from Texas when we retire in a few years. We have a son will have just graduated when we make the move.

The plan will be for him to go to college in Florida (possibly a community college the first year or two).

I know in most states you have to be a resident for a year to get the in state tuition rates. Does that mean that we would get the lower rates from year 2 going forward even if he is at the same school as he was the first year? Or does he have to be an in state resident when he starts school to avoid out of state rates for the entire enrollment?

In other words, would he have to change schools after the first year to avoid the higher rates for the final 3 years if he stays at the same school?
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Florida Admissions Residency Guidelines

See SECTION 5.0 – PROCEDURES FOR RECLASSIFICATION
Old 06-28-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks alot for the link. The way I read it, we can apply for reclassification after we have lived there for one year but we have to prove we didnt move just so our son could go to college as an in state resident. I read all of the requirements to prove that and since we wont be working or buying a house, the only one that applies to us is that we do have many relatives there (hence the real reason we are moving there) so hopefully that is enough.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:36 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

(oops - I didn't realize there was a category of "initial classification" items and a separate category for those reclassifying residency)

Looks like your best bets are showing the family connections, buying a house, and getting welfare benefits.

My guess is severing as many ties as possible with Texas (selling house, closing local bank accts if any, etc) would further evidence residency in FL.

My state has similar requirements. I have also heard of people retaining an attorney to appeal denials of residency. It could mean big bucks, so sometimes paying an attorney would be worth it. Good luck!
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote