Join Early Retirement Today

Resisting cool new stuff
Old 03-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #1

Resisting cool new stuff

While looking online for some replacement sheer pins for the snow thrower (broke another one today) I stumbled across the fact that Ariens has a cool new feature on some of their higher-end snow throwers called auto turn. Now, the one I have works just fine but it is definitely an upper-body workout to repeatedly turn it around, especially if one is doing several driveways. It's not uncommon that I'll unzip my jacket or slide the jacket hood back to keep from sweating.

This auto turn thingie allows you to turn the snow thrower around with a light push to the side on the handle with one hand. My first thought was "Wow, I want that!" Of course that and the heated handles (another nice item!) adds about $600 to the price of the snow thrower over the more basic model.

The only possible justification for spending the money is if I can talk DW into doing the driveway which is not likely in this lifetime. But even she thought it would be nice. But since we're probably going to move sometime in the next 5 - 8 years it is probable we'd see limited use of it and if we got really lucky, not at all, meaning no more snow.

So I'm not going to buy it. But that initial emotional reaction to click the "buy now" button took me aback. (BTW, most sites are "sold out".) Anyone else find themselves having to make a conscious effort to resist something like that?

Look at the guy turning it around with one hand about 22 seconds in. Sweet!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sheesh. just so you can turn..

Back when I was young and cheap, rather than cheap and old, I picked up one of these beasts. Heavy as the weight of sin, solid as the iron it was made from, the starter pull cable was just that: a steel wire cable. Got it started for the first time in the asphalt parking lot of my VW shop and the thing took off towing me and I couldn't get it stopped or turned until parking it into the side of a VW bus. mine. Solid axle. great for going straight, but you really needed loose dirt and a bunch of determination to turn. even if you could get it out of it's square cut gear.

Image isn't me btw, but what a cool rocket ship gas tank and cast aluminum fan shroud that thing had.

calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Somehow I find it hard to categorize a snow thrower as "cool new stuff". I'd be more likely to categorize it as "self torture equipment".

Rather than resisting cool new stuff, I am constantly trying to identify cool new stuff that I really, really, actually, honestly want no matter what Madison Avenue says or doesn't say, and that would use and appreciate. So few things meet those criteria that I can afford most all of them, or else I can wait until my budget permits.

Like this month - - I spent a new record low amount in February, so I had money left over for my new gold iPhone 5s (my idea of cool new stuff!). I had it in the back of my mind since last fall, just in case I suddenly had some extra $$$.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gold-iphone-5.jpg (7.9 KB, 313 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Never had a snow blower. Never needed one. But if I ever do, I'd want me one of these! Of course, DW and I would have split if I were to find myself somewhere needing one!
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I avoid retail stores where I could be tempted by impulse buying. When I do need new stuff, I research it online. I decided I wanted a new iPhone so I waited several months till the phone company called me to offer an upgrade. Mine will be a yellow iPhone 5C, cost $80. I could have had a 4S for $0, but a girl needs a little sunshine! Of course I took the weekend to think it over. It should arrive in a couple if days. Then I will have a whole suite of Mac devices talking to each other.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #6

WOW, love the auto-turning and heated handle options. Our blower is fairly new and it has the triggers under the handles to assist in turning. Only problem is you need a large hand and I'm not that big, 5' 4". So I just throw my body at it to make the turn. You get a real workout!
Regarding heated handles, my husband's new truck has a heated steering wheel. With all the snow and cold this winter I've got steering wheel envy.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:05 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I avoid retail stores where I could be tempted by impulse buying. When I do need new stuff, I research it online. I wanted a new iPhone so I waited till the phone company called me to offer an upgrade. Mine will be a yellow iPhone 5C, cost $80. I could have had a 4S for $0, but a girl needs a little sunshine!
Same here, I could have had a 4S for $0 but wanted something better! After doing my online research I determined that the 5S was exactly right for me.

You are going to love your new iPhone 5C!

Like you, I avoid retail stores and do most of my comparison shopping online. I save potential purchases in a "wish list" folder in my MSIE favorites, and do not buy until a few weeks have passed. Often the need/desire for it has vanished by that time.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:28 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
WOW, love the auto-turning and heated handle options. Our blower is fairly new and it has the triggers under the handles to assist in turning. Only problem is you need a large hand and I'm not that big, 5' 4". So I just throw my body at it to make the turn. You get a real workout!
Regarding heated handles, my husband's new truck has a heated steering wheel. With all the snow and cold this winter I've got steering wheel envy.
I always look for ways to get the feature while paying less: Gerbing's make some gloves that would easily run off a non-heated handle machine's electrical system, but I admit the self turn has me baffled. Maybe it has individual wheel brakes or something?
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:50 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh man... I wish I had never seen that snow blower! I have been wrestling with that damn machine of mine all winter. It's like wrestling a blind mule into a trailer.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

The last cool stuff I got (needed and really wanted ) is a slick USB hard drive dock:

This replaced a vertical docking station that went kaput.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dock.jpg (9.5 KB, 254 views)
Old 03-03-2014, 10:05 PM   #11

I know this is going to sound dull, but I really don't get the kick out of owning cool gadgets that I used to. When I was earning (and had a higher income than I do now) I spent quite a bit of money on my hobbies, ham radio and photography - photography in particular. I spent a decent amount of cash on lenses, studio lighting and all sorts of modifiers, backgrounds and background supports, a graphics tablet, etc etc. It was fun owning all that equipment.

Nowadays, the only time I spend money on gadgets and gear is when there is a more practical need for it. I'm about to buy a couple of 3TB hard drives to increase my storage capacity for music. In a few years, I may be shopping for a used RV to live in, and will enjoy the process of doing all the research and looking for the right deal. When it comes time to get a new camera, that will be fun too. I won't be looking for any of this stuff until there is a definite need for it though.

As nutty as this might sound, I derive more lasting satisfaction and enjoyment from experiences than from owning any bit of gear and right now, the best value for money in terms of experiences are my 3 cats. I spend a lot of time at home, and they are a near-constant source of entertainment and joy. I really don't want to sound like a boring old Luddite, but these 3 kitties are better than any gadget.

If pressed to name an actual gadget then I'd pick the stuff I construct myself, for the sheer satisfaction gained from building something that works. This low-power ham radio transceiver I built a few months ago is a good example. All the parts cost in the region of $25 and provided a whole lot of fun -

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:17 PM   #12

do they make a snow blower into which one can plug their i-phone?

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:18 PM   #13

"sheer satisfaction gained from building something that works."

And looks damn good with the hood up, too!
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
"sheer satisfaction gained from building something that works."

And looks damn good with the hood up, too!
Why, thank you. Here's a little regenerative receiver I built for the 40M ham band 2 or 3 years ago -

A view with the cover of the home-built case on -

The same receiver as part of a complete station with a 2-transistor Morse code transmitter (on top of the receiver) -

Another receiver I built. All these projects have custom cases made from printed circuit board copper-clad laminate -

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:48 AM   #15

Sorry, but that snow thrower is a non-starter. No cup holders, for heaven's sake!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:07 AM   #16

I'm a gadget lover so I do find myself having to resist some items very hard. Having said that, there are a lot of things I don't resist but very few that I've regretted so I guess it works out.

I'm waiting for a small, ride on snow blower with heated cab that I can do our decks with. Last summer, I bought a new Bobcat to replace my old one, the new one has a heated cab- this year we've had more snow than I've seen in a long time and it has been great- I plow our over 1 mile long driveway/road in my shirtsleeves but it won't fit on the decks, lol.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:26 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I just replaced the drive wheel on my Craftsman snow thrower a few weeks ago. First time I've had to do anything to it and the replacement part was only $20. That machine has to be 15 YO and is likely to go another 10 years if I treat it right. Just sayin.
keegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittingduck View Post
Oh man... I wish I had never seen that snow blower! I have been wrestling with that damn machine of mine all winter. It's like wrestling a blind mule into a trailer.
Exactly my thought! The machine is neat, but I hate snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
I'm a gadget lover so I do find myself having to resist some items very hard.
That's me too. Camera gear is another weakness I have to make an effort to not overspend on.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:40 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Cool stuff? Snow blower?

I just got my son to mow the grass since it was green and growing too high. I think I'll make him climb up to get the last oranges off the tree.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:00 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

While I do get a kick out of running my ol' grandad's big 1971 Ariens....but autoturn?? Auto Turn?!!!

Oh yeah...now you've completely ruined my day! (and maybe put me in the hole for a few grand)