Join Early Retirement Today

resume advice for early-retired / semi-retired
Old 03-17-2017, 08:56 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

resume advice for early-retired / semi-retired

Jerry1, Im glad when I retired I didnt need another job. I dont even know how to download a resume. When I was youngster, both jobs I got in HS and college was by bugging the hell out of the manager until he hired me. Nowadays I guess they dont let you do that. In my professional career, it was the "who you know" game I successfully navigated. I might starve to death if I needed a job in todays world.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2017, 07:00 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadway View Post
Yes. And I will be walking away.

I was wrong. The room is 9' x 9' with the desk I was using squished into the corner. I was lucky I had a desk. Another temporary employee who has been there three weeks has no desk. They plan on dividing an office to give her an office. They have no office space for people they are planning to hire.

The things you learn and hear when sitting 3 feet from the plant manager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
This is one of my fears of leaving my current role with the belief that I will take a "lesser" position just to smooth out the finances. Face it, by the end of your/my career, you're likely being treated pretty good even if you describe your work life as hell. It's all relative. A 9x9 space shared with another person doesn't seem too appealing at all. I'd rather drive a delivery van.

My suggestion would be to look for opportunities that you can do from home or for a professional office environment.

As for the resume, there was a lot of good advice in this thread, but I would recommend getting a simple professional document together and call it good. What's going to get you a job is either a personal contact (wherein the resume will be perfunctory but not critical) or the cover letter which will highlight your skills in a way that relates very specifically to the job you're seeking. Sending our resumes and believing that you'll be picked from the pack because of the resume is not, in my opinion, realistic.

I've hired a number of people at a professional level and I've never picked a professional out of a pile. They find a way to contact me through a network. The only time I've focused on a resume or the paperwork in general is when I've hired new blood out of college.
I'm agreeing with what Jerry1 says. Earlier I suggested having a keyword section, with all of your experience (a CV). Then trim it to suit the interview. This helps filter out a lot of the less-desirable recruiters and jobs, as your extensive career is highlighted.

Anyways, good luck with the search. There are decent part-time and full-time jobs. It's much easier to try to directly connect, as Jerry1 mentioned
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:32 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Good for you, broadway, you're out there plugging. That first job was a 'loser' in more ways than one...they treated you like a number because they didn't recognize that you are a catch (which we can tell from your posts). Maybe they aren't capable of better treatment.

Keep at it. I agree with others that networking is the best way to find jobs, but if you lack a network, then it's door-to-door sales (your best pitch, to as many employers as possible).

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:12 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

+1

.. and be aware that your self-perception is likely to be lower than your actual worth (in the marketplace). It's a thing that tends to happen when you are sitting home for a while.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:12 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Good for you, broadway, you're out there plugging. That first job was a 'loser' in more ways than one...they treated you like a number because they didn't recognize that you are a catch (which we can tell from your posts). Maybe they aren't capable of better treatment.

Keep at it. I agree with others that networking is the best way to find jobs, but if you lack a network, then it's door-to-door sales (your best pitch, to as many employers as possible).

Amethyst
My manager who also happens to be the plant manager isn't a bad guy, but he lied to me about who created that Excel worksheet and "form" that he wants transitioned to an Access database table and associated form. He got the worksheet file someone in an earlier job. I had proof in the Excel macros.

I don't have a network, so I will keep plugging away at it.
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote