Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
When I'm at PetSmart and they ask if I want to donate to the homeless animals I tell them that I already did my part, I adopted a wonderful cat from their own adoption center.
We adopted our dog (see avatar) from one of their locations when they were having an adoption event there one day.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Noticed the hustle trend a while ago. Since there is no way to know where that money goes, I never give at the cashier. Used to be polite about it, then it got real tiresome. Now I just say no. In a few places I noticed they mostly did not ask women, but always hassled the men. That did tick me off.

And stopped going to these places of business unless absolutely necessary. I see it the same as car dealers selling etched serial numbers in car windows. If they are already etched, why pay for them? They can always un-etch them.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ziggy every time I look at your avatar, it seems as if you are holding your dog and it's looking over your shoulder. But, I suppose the dog is on a couch?

Regardless the pic makes me go..."Awwwwww".
Old 02-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Great post! I LOVE IT when you "get on a roll".

I hear ya loud and clear. It annoys me too to be bugged about donating.

Try this next time..."turning the table" as they say...
"I'm on a fixed income and I can't afford to do that this month."

Enjoy the silence and the rapid disappearance of "the look".
Old 02-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #25

I don't think the people at the register receive any training in 'strong arming' people into donating. Nor do I think they are intentionally following a script or being rude.
They probably have been told that customers have the opportunity to donate, and here is how to do it and run it on the register.
Most younger people I have met are more idealistic. And if they get a simple 'no' or 'no thanks' their mind probably jumps to the assumption that the customer doesn't want to help. They don't think about people donating far more through their own research.
I agree with talking to the manager, as checking out at a store should not make anyone uncomfortable or feel like they need to explain themselves.
And the managers, instead of simply putting out the boxes and explaining how to ring it up should instruct their employees NOT to give 'THE LOOK' or take any 'attitude' with customers.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:42 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Regardless the pic makes me go..."Awwwwww".
Yeah, her eyes got us, too, as soon as we saw her. She's probably about 7 years old now or close to it. We adopted her late in 2005 as a Katrina rescue when we were in Houston. To this day she is terrified of hard, stormy weather, especially with thunder and lightning.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #27

I do realize the poor cashiers are doing the management's bidding. I talked with a few few local sore managers. Usually it is a corporate decision.

It is a management problem. AKA how to pi$$ off customers.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:59 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Yeah, her eyes got us, too, as soon as we saw her. She's probably about 7 years old now or close to it. We adopted her late in 2005 as a Katrina rescue when we were in Houston. To this day she is terrified of hard, stormy weather, especially with thunder and lightning.
Bless her little heart.

Thank goodness y'all found each other.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
We adopted our dog (see avatar) from one of their locations when they were having an adoption event there one day.
Yep. we got a pooch from a Petsmart "adoption day" with folks from a local animal rescue about 8 years ago. She was an older poodle and had obviously seen some rough times. DW is allergic to many types of dogs, but not to poodles, and she wanted to adopt this sad case.
So, not wanting to bring a lot of grief into our lives, I got her to agree that we would take the dog to a local vet and have her checked out before we adopted her.
Vet: "As you can probably tell, her irises are damaged, and she's blind. I'm not sure about her hearing, but she appears to be deaf. I think after you give her a bath, a lot of this dermatitis will likely clear up. She's just 11 years old, but I think she's the product of some irresponsible breeding and has a lot of issues. I haven't done an X-ray, but you can see that her back has some fairly advanced arthritis. Her hips are okay, but she's got some popping in her knees and I think one is unstable. I can't tell if she's got heartworms right now, but I hear some valve damage and a murmor, so she's definitely got some heart problems.
DW: "So, other than these things, is there anything seriously wrong with her?"

I couldn't stop laughing, and we still get a chuckle over it. We adopted the pooch and had her for 5 years. The meter at the vet's office was running the whole time. Worth every penny.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:11 PM   #30

Rarely do I make checkout counter donations, however a few months ago when buying a Sunday paper at Plaid Pantry I agreed to donate $1 to the Salvation Army. When I looked at my receipt later it was listed as Salvation Army so I'm sure I could use the receipt and take it as a tax donation.

I'm kind of wondering if some businesses are setting up quotas that their checkout clerks must meet as that could explain some of the aggressiveness people have experienced in pushing donations.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #31
gone traveling

When I get asked for a contribution from a cashier or even on the phone, I simply ask them if they would like to contribute to my favorite charity, the Autism Society of America (my adult son is autistic).

They usually don't know how to respond to that one, and just continues the checkout process without comment, or end the telephone call immediately...
Old 02-05-2010, 12:23 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Ahhh...damn Sam. Your post made me laugh and cry at the same time.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
I'm kind of wondering if some businesses are setting up quotas that their checkout clerks must meet as that could explain some of the aggressiveness people have experienced in pushing donations.
Might they be getting a commission on the $$ they gather?

Ha