Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Lovely worms.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

RE: Worm farms - so you do you just grab a few handfuls of the worms and casting (that's just a nice name for worm poop, right?) and throw them down on the flowers, trees, veg. plants, etc. - worms and all or just the castings?

After reading this thread, I think I'm going to look into building a worm farm whenever I can borrow the book Nords referenced from the library.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I use the LOL method at my old family place. We toss everything in a pile off in the trees about 50 yards from the house (to avoid rodentia, raccoons, etc near the house).
We do something similar.
  • We just cleared a spot at the edge of the woods behind our house,
  • accumulate stuff in a small bucket in the garage,
  • dump it at the compost spot when the bucket is full (every 2-3 days),
  • and put some leaves on top each time.
  • Turn it whenever,
  • and add to the garden at the start of each Spring.
Not sure what the downside is, not in the trash or the disposal. YMMV

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I wrote about how to make a DIY Rubbermaid tote-based worm bin (what we use, we have three of them) here. Comment #41 is the one you're after.

We do vermicompost citrus. No problems. Avocado skins, on the other hand, take forever.

And we got our inoculation batch of worms from a local organic feed and seed store, but you can also order them online.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Can these worms survive a northeast winter? Been spending a tidy sum on garbage and trout worms up at the lake ....
Old 08-28-2010, 06:00 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
Can these worms survive a northeast winter? Been spending a tidy sum on garbage and trout worms up at the lake ....
Sorry, the subject hasn't come up around here...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:38 PM   #27
Administrator

Our composting is very low tech. I bought a 10 foot roll of 3 ft wide hardware cloth, connected the ends together to form a 3 ft high, 3 ft diameter cylinder and set it on the ground next to the garden shed. We have a ceramic, covered container in the kitchen into which we throw vegetable scraps, coffee grounds and eggshells. It is lined with cornstarch-based little disposable bags. When the container is full, we dump the little bag and its contents in the compost pile. We also put in garden scraps and leaves. Occasionally, I aerate with a pitchfork, but mostly it just sits there. Sometimes we water it as we water the garden. When we want compost, we lift one edge of the wire circle and scrape some out from the bottom of the pile with a hand trowel. It takes minimal effort, never smells and makes enough compost for our square-foot gardening needs.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:04 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Is there a garage or outbuilding at your lake house that stays above freezing? I think they would be OK if you moved the bin in there for the winter. Or just keep it in there all the time—they don't mind not freezing.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:46 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When I first joined the site here Nords was talking about vermiposting. I did a lot of research on it. I'm pretty secure in saying they will not survive even a Mid Atlantic winter outside. But supposedly they don't have any odor issues, so a garage will work unless it gets really really cold in there. We decided not to go with the worms because we are traveling so much, we weren't sure we would be able to add enough garbage to keep them alive. I'm considering reconsidering, because we aren't having much luck with our regular composting due to our HOA making us keep our bin in a cool shady area. I've got 2 year old debris in there that hasn't composted yet. I'm a little lazy about turning it, and the idea of getting annelids to do the work for me is attractive.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:24 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
But supposedly they don't have any odor issues, so a garage will work unless it gets really really cold in there. We decided not to go with the worms because we are traveling so much, we weren't sure we would be able to add enough garbage to keep them alive. I'm considering reconsidering...
Ah, I have answers for these issues.

No odors. We actually kept ours in the kitchen for a couple years-- very convenient. Even in a lush tropical environment with all sorts of other critters running around the kitchen, we had no problems.

At the scale of a Can-O-Worms, the population regulates itself pretty well. It takes several months for them to work through a full tray, and as they start to run low on food then the worms begin to die off. If you add more food then the population obligingly explodes to handle the new load. If we were leaving for a month I wouldn't do anything to our bin (it usually has several inches of fruit waste in a tray). If we were going to be away for two months I might toss in a few bananas and a shredded newspaper-- worms consider newsprint to be yummy.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:57 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

You can buy worms for fishing online and make your own worm farm in a 20 gallon or bigger tote and just keep that in the garage if it does not freeze as that is what we did. Plans are available online. We did this for years and just feed them coffee grounds as they like them and the grounds do not give off an order. Through in the paper filer also if you use them. We had to collect the grounds from a few other people to keep them feed at times. We used a drain on the bottom of the tote to collect the tea for plant watering and would take the rich dirt out as fertilizer as needed for the potted plants. The worms will multiply pretty fast to provide bait.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:50 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

We use Rid X to treat the septic tank at the lake house. We also used it at our previous house. Our current home is on city sewer. We have never had a tank pumped but we also have not had a home with a tank much over seven years. Does anyone know if treating the tank is worth it for sure?
Old 08-29-2010, 03:54 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Does anyone know if treating the tank is worth it for sure?
I asked the guy at the septic tank inspection/cleaning company, and he said that treatments were a waste of money.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:10 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I asked the guy at the septic tank inspection/cleaning company, and he said that treatments were a waste of money.

I have wondered that but I also wonder about his motives. Time will tell as I am not going in to check the buildup level!
Old 08-29-2010, 04:16 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
If you want to get into serious knock-down brawls online, start asking about septic tanks and additives.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:46 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
Does anyone know if treating the tank is worth it for sure?
My septic guy (inspects/repairs aerobic systems) says treatments are a waste. His comment was that septic systems work because of bacterial action and the human body dumps (his term) plenty of bacteria into the system. No need to add more by buying additives.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:45 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

But I did find this advice online:

Never add dead chickens, roadkill, raw hamburger, or other poultry or meat to your septic tank.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:10 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
If you want to get into serious knock-down brawls online, start asking about septic tanks and additives.
Or, fresh farmed fish vs. frozen wild fish.

nm

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I had an extremely slow septic tank and getting it pumped was expensive. I used an additive- can't remember at the moment what it was, and never pumped again for 10 years and the tank righted itself and continued to function well.

IMO, much cheaper than the pumper truck.

And as far as arguing, be my guest, use additives, don't use additives, eat fat, don't eat fat, use Crest, use Colgate, it's all the same to me as long as YOU are happy.

Because happiness is the goal.

Ha