Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-08-2008, 05:55 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

will this help?
List of lakes in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ocean proximity of course will be very expensive.

good luck!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2008, 05:59 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
DW and I want to live near water, either ocean or substantial lakes, so we can enjoy boating (though we probably won't be boatowners in retirement). Ideally within a half-hour if not closer and moderate weather (ie, not Florida/Georgia and not New England) and a reasonable COL. We could afford more, but to us, $350-400K for a home is our emotional upper limit - we're in the Midwest where that would buy a spectacular house. And we don't want a big house anyway, probably 1100-1500 sqft. (Ross Chapin designs appeal to us). We're thinking middle Atlantic (MD or Carolinas) - but suggestions would be most welcome. Nothing against the Left Coast, it just looks too expensive unless you go well inland, which we don't want. Hope to visit and decide in the next 2-4 years.
These Ross Chapin houses and neighborhoods look like wonderful designs. I like their philosophy of "quality over quantity, to simplicity as a means to personal freedom, to neighborhood as an extension of the family." The reduced square footage should make for a more economical lifestyle. The neighborhood as part of the family part sounds great, but I have lived in townhouse developments that are equally densely packed. The closeness didn't actually lead to any more neighborly feeling because people almost always had their shades drawn just to get some privacy. I would like hear from people who have lived in Ross Chapin neighborhoods.

With everything said, I'd rather live in one of the Ross Chapin neighborhoods or in Cambridge or Somerville and be next to the coffee houses, bars, and Salsa classes then in some super-clean, super-boring suburb.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:33 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
I have family in MD ... 350-400k is a condo even after the "correction". Probably need to push further south for a better buy.
There are Lots and lots of areas in MD that could be had for that money. They are NOT the fancy, well known, highly desireable areas, more like working class areas that are being renovated into fancy condos. they are not the easiest to find.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:53 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
There are Lots and lots of areas in MD that could be had for that money. They are NOT the fancy, well known, highly desireable areas, more like working class areas that are being renovated into fancy condos. they are not the easiest to find.
Oxford MD is on our list, and we're not interested in the "fashionable" areas with their premium prices & taxes. And for you Puget Sound folks, Port Townsend or thereabouts is on our list. So is Wilmington NC. I love Austin TX, but DW say no way too hot (and we did live in Dallas for 3 years so she does know first hand). Obviously we are still narrowing the field. Thanks...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:57 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Chesapeake Bay area Chesapeake Bay Guide
might be somewhere to look into.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:10 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Smith Mountain Lake in the blue ridge mountains of Virginia might be worth a look Smith Mountain Lake: Jewel of the Blue Ridge Mountains
Old 03-09-2008, 11:33 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texarkandy View Post
Dallas Fort Worth is surrounded by lakes.
And sometimes they even have water in them...

Southcentral Kentucky and northcentral Tennessee have Lake Cumberland and Dale Hollow Reservoir. Living on the lakes would be expensive, but the small towns surrounding them are less so. Don't expect much in the way of culture or amenities...

But then, Louisville, Nashiville, Knoxville, and Lexington are only a few hours away.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:38 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

You can own your island, as this article in TIME shows:

Your Own Private Island - TIME
Old 03-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
DW and I want to live near water, either ocean or substantial lakes, so we can enjoy boating (though we probably won't be boatowners in retirement).
You have received many suggestions. What I don't quite understand is how you plan to "enjoy boating" without being boat-owners? Volunteer as sailing crew? Buy beer for a boat-owning neighbor? Go out on fishing charters?

While all these things will work, they will only work in some places. Can you give more detail on this?

Ha
Old 03-09-2008, 02:36 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
And sometimes they even have water in them...

Southcentral Kentucky and northcentral Tennessee have Lake Cumberland and Dale Hollow Reservoir. Living on the lakes would be expensive, but the small towns surrounding them are less so. Don't expect much in the way of culture or amenities...

But then, Louisville, Nashiville, Knoxville, and Lexington are only a few hours away.
Land Between The Lakes | HOME

Land betwee lakes is the best choice IMO. About 45 min-1 hr from Nashville. Not too expensive. Great boating/fishing. Easy shot back to Chicago if you ever have to go.

I have lived north/south of the Mason Dixon. Going to extremes either way is a tad much for me in terms of weather. I think in the humidity soaked portions of the US, the upper south is pretty decent.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:47 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

re Buy beer for a boat-owning neighbor?

i have a small boat and a large cooler. LOL
Old 03-09-2008, 02:55 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
You have received many suggestions. What I don't quite understand is how you plan to "enjoy boating" without being boat-owners? Volunteer as sailing crew? Buy beer for a boat-owning neighbor? Go out on fishing charters?

While all these things will work, they will only work in some places. Can you give more detail on this?

Ha
Offering to buy gas and/or Beer always worked on Lake Ponchartrain.

I DO NOT recommend volunteering - some of 'my sailing friends' at least wanted you to train for race days, got super competitive and real grumpy.

Too much like work. Culling thru the sailors to find 'the right attitude' was harder than gas and beer in my humble 25 yrs on the lake.

heh heh heh -
Old 03-09-2008, 03:29 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

If you like Austin, you might check out the hill country lakes west of Austin. A bit higher elevation keeps them from getting quite as hot, and you'd still have reasonable access to Austin.

The Wilmington suggestion sounded reasonable too, unless you are really worried about the hurricanes, then you might as well be upfront and say you are looking for lake property, not ocean.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:36 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
re Buy beer for a boat-owning neighbor?

i have a small boat and a large cooler. LOL
I have a large boat but I only drink wine ! and bring some cheese and crackers along !
Old 03-09-2008, 03:36 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
If you like Austin, you might check out the hill country lakes west of Austin. A bit higher elevation keeps them from getting quite as hot...
Heh. Yep, away from the 'heat island" of big city asphalt, concrete and air conditioning exhaust, temps in that area can be up to 4 degrees cooler than in Austin. Not that you can feel much difference between a temp of 98 and 94F...especially when the humidity in the lake area runs 60 to 70%.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
I have owned sailboats for 19 years and I love it. But it's a very expensive pasttime, and my intent is to sell mine and go out on OPB, charters, etc. in retirement or shortly thereafter.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:25 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Offering to buy gas and/or Beer always worked on Lake Ponchartrain.

I DO NOT recommend volunteering - some of 'my sailing friends' at least wanted you to train for race days, got super competitive and real grumpy.

Too much like work. Culling thru the sailors to find 'the right attitude' was harder than gas and beer in my humble 25 yrs on the lake.

heh heh heh -
I've raced sailboats for many years as skipper and crew, so I am used to 'grumpy.' But not all boats are that way, in fact the better ones tend to be quiet, it's the hacks that tend to be yellers.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
If you like Austin, you might check out the hill country lakes west of Austin. A bit higher elevation keeps them from getting quite as hot, and you'd still have reasonable access to Austin.

The Wilmington suggestion sounded reasonable too, unless you are really worried about the hurricanes, then you might as well be upfront and say you are looking for lake property, not ocean.
Actually my Dad had a boat on Canyon Lake, and then moved to Lake Travis. But DW says she won't go for Austin, too hot. Austin is a wonderful place though, wish it wasn't so hot...

Old 03-09-2008, 04:39 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... And for you Puget Sound folks, Port Townsend or thereabouts is on our list.
Port Townsend is cute, and if you love restoring wooden boats that is the place to be. It is the perfect place for the sail-boat crowd, always a breeze.

There are several communities in more sheltered areas you should also explore.

As you approach the time of decision I recommend you rent for a year in any area where you want to live. What seemed perfect from a distance often doesn't live up to your expectations.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:47 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Port Townsend is cute, and if you love restoring wooden boats that is the place to be. It is the perfect place for the sail-boat crowd, always a breeze.

There are several communities in more sheltered areas you should also explore.

As you approach the time of decision I recommend you rent for a year in any area where you want to live. What seemed perfect from a distance often doesn't live up to your expectations.
Actually Port T itself is probably too small and expensive, that's why I said thereabouts. The time of decision is 2-4 years, so we're planning some trips beginning this year, but we're trying to plan those trips at the worst time (weather) of the year at those places, most likely winter months for Pac NW.