Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Retired college costs
Old 07-31-2005, 12:29 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
For the record, Mrs. Grumpy and I have two children. College expenses for our oldest child were a snap because we had been saving since his birth and he got a partial scholarship (50%) to a public university for swimming. Of course, we had lots of expenses prior to that flying him (and us) all over the country to compete in high level meets. During his college years we also made international trips to see him compete.

Grumpy
Swimming is the best competitive sport - indivdual and team...

My 3 started competitve swimming at age 5 (polliwogs!) and stayed with it through H.S. and all lifeguard qualified now..Wife and I really had a great time timing and watching...although sitting for all those hours on some pretty uncomfortable bleachers can really test your resolve...
DanTien

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2005, 01:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
Swimming is the best competitive sport - indivdual and team...

My 3 started competitve swimming at age 5 (polliwogs!) and stayed with it through H.S. and all lifeguard qualified now..Wife and I really had a great time timing and watching...although sitting for all those hours on some pretty uncomfortable bleachers can really test your resolve...
DanTien
I agree. We are a swimming family. I met my wife while I was the waterfront director of a camp for retarded and emotionally disturbed children and she was one of my swimming instructors. Both of our kids learned to swim before they could walk. I was the meet manager for their summer league team for many years and was a stroke and turn judge for high school meets. I swam in Master's competitions for many years and I still swim a mile several times a week. My son was Atlantic Coast Conference champ 4 times in the 100 and 200 yard breaststroke and was a finalist in the 200 breast at the 1996 Olympic Trials. It's a great sport that can be enjoyed your whole life.

Grumpy

Old 07-31-2005, 04:09 PM   #23

I have to say that I don't like swimming from the parent's perspective. Sit on bleachers for 8 hours in a humid, loud environment to watch 3 minutes of action. No likey.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:13 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
For the record, Mrs. Grumpy and I have two children.

Grumpy
Sorry Grumpy. Sounded like one. Glad to see you have managed two quite well.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I have to say that I don't like swimming from the parent's perspective. Sit on bleachers for 8 hours in a humid, loud environment to watch 3 minutes of action. No likey.
Yeah, have to be careful not to start gabbing with other parent and miss a race you been waiting an hour for and an hour before the next one.

"Dad, did you see what time I had?"

Old 08-01-2005, 09:29 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Those long hours in humid indoor pools were well worth it to see a poorly coordinated, shy child transformed into a confident young man and a world-class athlete. The memories and video I have of our son's triumphs and failures is priceless.

Grumpy