Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-24-2009, 04:57 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I guess later has figured it out since she hasn't been back.....
Well hey, it's her first post. She hasn't had a chance to get hooked on the forum like many of us are
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2009, 05:36 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

'tis true......
Old 01-24-2009, 06:28 PM   #23
Gone but not forgotten

My late husband retired before me and the only problem was I had to let go of some of my standards . He would do the laundry but not fold it and that would drive me crazy . He also did not cook but would get take out . I am now retired and my SO still works part time . When I retired he stopped cooking ( He used to do a third of the cooking ) and at first i tried to stall him out to see who would cook . Now I just accept that I am the cook except when I go on strike .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:57 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
My late husband retired before me and the only problem was I had to let go of some of my standards . He would do the laundry but not fold it and that would drive me crazy . He also did not cook but would get take out . I am now retired and my SO still works part time . When I retired he stopped cooking ( He used to do a third of the cooking ) and at first i tried to stall him out to see who would cook . Now I just accept that I am the cook except when I go on strike .
I love this. Most men and women won't admit to these little games. When we were both young, my ex would sometimes try to stall me out on sex, to get me to do some chore or other. She hated that she would usually cave first because she had a more driving need than I.

Yikes! Tales from a broken love.

Ha
Old 01-24-2009, 07:23 PM   #25
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I love this. Most men and women won't admit to these little games. When we were both young, my ex would sometimes try to stall me out on sex, to get me to do some chore or other. She hated that she would usually cave first because she had a more driving need than I.

Yikes! Tales from a broken love.

Ha
Tales from another broken love:

EX decided that once we were married, I would become a good wife (and do housework).

Thing was, I had a higher tolerance for squalor.

I have recently rehired a housekeeper.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:34 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I guess later has figured it out since she hasn't been back.....
Let's not let that slow us down.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:29 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
...I have recently rehired a housekeeper.
This is excellent news! I know Khan has some limitiations with respect to manual tasks, as do I. I have a once a month cleaning done top to bottom, then I just have to maintain it in between.
A hybrid approach......my living space is well kept up by the cleaner and I am not under obligation to do the full set of cleaning duties on any schedule.
Some people may look at having a housecleaner as an indulgence. If so, then this is by far the best indulgence you can treat yourself to. Housecleaning, is, well, too much like w*rk!
It violates the spirit of FIRE.

I have assumed duties of financial cop, laundry slave, and cookmeister since I FIREd. It was the sweet spot of the deal I worked with dh2b prior to my early exit from the high stress life of a rabid c*reer girl. I am so much happier. He gets home cooked meals all ready when he gets home and folded underwear. Life is good.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:03 PM   #28
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
This is excellent news! I know Khan has some limitiations with respect to manual tasks, as do I. I have a once a month cleaning done top to bottom, then I just have to maintain it in between.
A hybrid approach......my living space is well kept up by the cleaner and I am not under obligation to do the full set of cleaning duties on any schedule.
Some people may look at having a housecleaner as an indulgence. If so, then this is by far the best indulgence you can treat yourself to. Housecleaning, is, well, too much like w*rk!
It violates the spirit of FIRE.

I have assumed duties of financial cop, laundry slave, and cookmeister since I FIREd. It was the sweet spot of the deal I worked with dh2b prior to my early exit from the high stress life of a rabid c*reer girl. I am so much happier. He gets home cooked meals all ready when he gets home and folded underwear. Life is good.

A small piece of my brain tells me: "You can't justify this. You are retired and have the time to do housework; you have only a small pension; it's a small house; a woman should be able to maintain her house..."

%^&* all of it. I don't like housecleaning. I'm not good at it. It hurts.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:15 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A small piece of my brain tells me: "You can't justify this. You are retired and have the time to do housework; you have only a small pension; it's a small house; a woman should be able to maintain her house..."

%^&* all of it. I don't like housecleaning. I'm not good at it. It hurts.
Justify?
Baloney salami pepperoni!
Justify it as one of those great deals of being FIREd. And right now, with families struggling with expenses, it is your good deed to help your housekeeper make her ends meet a little easier. How's that?
I used to houseclean myself for extra cash when I was on a starving college student's budget. The money I earned from my retired and still w*rking customers was used for books and room and board at school.
Sending it forward and all that good stuff...
Old 01-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I would gladly be a househusband..... I am a good cook, my mom taught me how to clean, and I press clothes like noone's business. However, I will NOT wear any French maid outfits.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:09 PM   #31
Gone but not forgotten

?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I would gladly be a househusband..... I am a good cook, my mom taught me how to clean, and I press clothes like noone's business. However, I will NOT wear any French maid outfits.......
Will you take your shirt off to wash dishes?
Old 01-25-2009, 07:27 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
IHowever, I will NOT wear any French maid outfits.......
Well, I for one, would love to see you in a French maid outfit
Old 01-25-2009, 07:36 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Well, I for one, would love to see you in a French maid outfit
Make that two!
I can't post it here and stay within forum rules, but go to YouTube and search on "The StripTease in the Full Monty". Warning - the video clip is not for the faint hearted.

You can leave your hat on!
Old 01-25-2009, 07:50 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How about an American "made" outfit?
Old 01-26-2009, 09:16 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Make that two!
I can't post it here and stay within forum rules, but go to YouTube and search on "The StripTease in the Full Monty". Warning - the video clip is not for the faint hearted.

You can leave your hat on!
I just youtubed the Full Monty clip. It made my day
Old 01-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Tales from another broken love:

EX decided that once we were married, I would become a good wife (and do housework).

Thing was, I had a higher tolerance for squalor.

I have recently rehired a housekeeper.
I have recently been awarded the Princess of Squalor designation in my house. Not just one man, but a second man has now deemed my ability to avoid sweeping the floor to be so profoundly squalorly that he broke before I did!

I always knew I could out-squalor my husband, but our friend who moved in with us between jobs and/or girlfriends had what I thought was a much higher squalor tolerance. I have officially defeated both of them.

I am very proud.

Now where's that old forum toilet story about the King of Squalor-ville?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:26 PM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW being a SAHM for many years (& having grown up German) has always kept things pretty clean around here, but I've had to pitch in a bit more since her re-entry into the workforce this past year.

Hopefully, I'll be a house-husband/kept-man in 2010 though & take care of it all. Looking forward to it in fact after 29 years. (Now where do I get those french-maid outfits?)
Old 01-27-2009, 08:11 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Here are two uniforms. I just can't make up my mind which one I prefer....
Old 01-27-2009, 10:14 AM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sit your hubby down and have a talk about potential scenario's, there is only one i can think of and it goes something like this, basically he will become responsible for all housework and related chores(cooking.cleaning,shopping ETC) and you will become irate if he doesnt conform because your new favorite saying will be "well i had to work all day" When both partners are working an unspoken routine sets in whereby the housework is divided but once he retires its all over ,he's now the house slave so tell him that the dishes and laundry better be done before you go off golfing,fishing,biking etc.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sit your hubby down and have a talk about potential scenario's, there is only one i can think of and it goes something like this, basically he will become responsible for all housework and related chores(cooking.cleaning,shopping ETC) and you will become irate if he doesnt conform because your new favorite saying will be "well i had to work all day" When both partners are working an unspoken routine sets in whereby the housework is divided but once he retires its all over ,he's now the house slave so tell him that the dishes and laundry better be done before you go off golfing,fishing,biking etc.
I guess you may be joking. I wonder where in the US could a man with an English speaking wife get away with this sort of attitude? For OP's DH's sake, perhaps he may want to delay his retirement.

Ha