Join Early Retirement Today

Retirement and losing the interaction with business colleagues
Old 10-30-2007, 09:55 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Retirement and losing the interaction with business colleagues

Having been retired for over a year now, I've had some time to reflect on the person I am today, versus the (boss, subordinate or business colleague) person I once was.

I still have no where near the amount of social interaction I once had, but most people I had interacted with at the office were not people I included in my social life. Subjects discussed were mostly job related, as it was difficult for me to really be 'social' with most of my colleagues.

I can also admit that losing the status and recognition of no longer being the 'boss' initially was a blow to my ego, but I have gotten over this with time, as I believe most people do.

After my father was retired for a number of years, I remember joining him with a group of his retired close friends for a social event. I was naturally curious about what each of his friends had done 'for a living', i.e. the typical opening question asked when meeting for the first time. Although my father was likewise a former business executive, I was surprised to find out that he didn't even know in many cases, or cared. These people no longer defined themselves or others by the former job or title. This was a positive lesson to me to which I can now fully understand and relate to.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2007, 11:00 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Having been retired for a year now, I see losing the interaction with business colleagues
as one of the primary benefits of retirement - not that they were bad people, just that I
prefer to choose the people I hang out with.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:00 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Didn't I read it here somewhere about retired execs who describe themselves as PIPs (previously important people)? For a while when people asked "what do you do," I used to mention what I used to do when telling them I am ERd. I no longer bother unless someone asks or it is otherwise relevant to something we are talking about.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:31 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
Having been retired for a year now, I see losing the interaction with business colleagues
as one of the primary benefits of retirement - not that they were bad people, just that I
prefer to choose the people I hang out with.
What he said.

Except one was a bad person.

Interacting with people is stressful (for me).
Old 10-30-2007, 01:55 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My past w*rk buddies and associates are very diverse. Some jerks, some just another face I had to deal with, some true, respected friends who I will always feel indebted to for their help and support in making it through some challenging times. Keeping in contact with them is a privilege for me which I treasure.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:39 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Boy! do I ever relate to the blow to the ego remark. I was an owner and had about 13 +/- employees at any given time. When I closed the business from burnout and an elderly parent's needing help, and moved, it took me about 2 years to realllly wind down.
I was used to going the max speed limit all the time. I look back, and am amazed I didn't have a heart attack with the hours I kept and stress I put myself under. May start some small biz again...but never will do the crazy work hours and stress to myself next time around. It just was not worth it in terms of my stress level.
It has been almost 5 years now, and I still hear regularly from about 4 or more people who used to work for me even tho I am very far away from them physically (they are down south, I am way up north). I enjoy those relationships.
But, yeah, it is hard to wind down and quit being the "boss."
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:59 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Whenever I meet teaching associates and students I always have time to talk and see how everyone is doing.

I don't seek out former colleagues, and I do not belong to any organizations.

Like OP Grandpa, "I are a Grandpa too", and family was, is, and always will be my #1 priority.

I do have great neighbours on our court however, and being the only retiree (10 years) I am the unofficial mayor doing my best to help out where I can.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote