Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How long have you been registered on this board?
< 1 month 6 5.66%
< 3 months 6 5.66%
< 6 months 5 4.72%
< 1 year 12 11.32%
< 1 year 6 months 15 14.15%
< 2 years 21 19.81%
< 2 years 6 months 8 7.55%
< 3 years 19 17.92%
< 3 years 6 months 4 3.77%
< 4 years 7 6.60%
< 4 years 6 months 1 0.94%
< 5 years 2 1.89%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Retirement Board Posting Tenure
Old 01-05-2007, 06:48 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
And speaking of Ted, wasn't he the guy who couldn't seem to get past the thought that anyone who retired early was a drag on humankind? Any wonder the forum took him to task?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
I don't think anybody chased him away, though. He had mentioned that he was repeating himself too often, and he was planning to work as fee-only FA. My memory is bad enough that I can't remember when I'm repeating myself, so that keeps me around here singing the same old song over and over....
Yeah, I can see him building up a big crowd of happy customers as a retirement planner.

"What?!? You're too young to retire-- now get the #$%^ out of my sight, get a haircut, and get a job!! Oh, wait, here's my invoice for $250. Now have a nice day."

I think he threatened to leave the board just to hear the posters beg him to return. That must've been a real surprise...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2007, 08:35 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been here a whole 2 weeks! Register 12/22/06, but had lurked a week or 2 before.

I'm a bit daunted by the knowledge flow here, but keep plugging away. I think it's a great forum & really appreciate having found it!

Every step of the journey is the journey.
Bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:17 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

for most of my life i pushed buttons before actually knowing what they would do. in fashion, i stumbled upon this amazingly informative forum after i quit but before i made any unrepairable blunders.

february 27th will be my 1st year anniversary. you will find me registered at your local ferrari dealership.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spyder.jpg (49.4 KB, 8 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb spyder.jpg_thumb (50.5 KB, 0 views)

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:25 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo
Now who the hell would do something like that?
Only a sick mind would engage in this sort of behavior.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:54 AM   #45

Once upon a time I was at Mega-Corp and bored. Sensing my supervisor would soon assign a task to me, I googled retirement. Voila, there was a forum with neat guys and gals discussing retirement, and investing, and travel, and food, and well, you know. I spent many happy hours lurking, whilst at work. In January 2004, I followed the forum's advice and retired. One year later, Jan 05, I joined the forum and lived happily ever after.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:21 AM   #46

I've been here since Feb 2003. Stuck my nose into the inner workings in May 2005, migrated the forum software to great effect and have been unofficial database guy / substitute admin / gratuitous-adder-of-smileys-and-avatars ever since. When dory36 delegated moderation to suckersmoderators he snuck me in as a moderator, but I lucked out and got the easy board. If something is off-topic in my board I just push it to Martha's board. And my topic is very narrow.

Link to my "hi" post here.

Link to some user statistics in late May 2005.

I was at The Motley Fool REHP board since 2000. I knew I needed to change my personal financial situation and at the time TMF had some good articles and lots of good contributors in the discussion boards. When they went for-pay I didn't get comp'ed and didn't pay. I was on a posting hiatus anyway, but I eventually found my way here after trying another board or two. This one was better in content and attitude. (Yeah, hard to believe . )

It seems like the really divisive debates here started prior to the 2004 election cycle, but things eventually calm down which is still rather better than many sites I've seen.

I'm still around but haven't posted much lately. My finances are more or less on autopilot for a while, so I haven't had a lot to say about money.

The board has grown continuously since I've been here (and probably before, too, but, you know, I wasn't here to witness it). In early 2005 the board glitches were increasing, and I think it was Cut-Throat that started asking about upgrades to fix the glitches. I went into geek mode and prototyped and demonstrated free upgrade options and we wound up with this software which looks and acts a lot like the old one but can handle a much higher load.

Somewhere later in 2005 Google started indexing the site. At first it was because we enabled the "search engine friendly" URLs, but later they were turned off because some users objected to being listed on Google. But Google now indexes the board anyway even with all the "?"s and ";"s in the URLs.

Between Google and media mentions of FireCalc the board has really exploded since then. Or maybe it's just the compound percentage growth that finally caught momentum. Either way this is a really busy place now.

Oh, an example of growth: The board was started (apparently) in June 2002. Around the start of 2006 the site had 100,000 posts. By the end of 2006 the site had 200,000 posts.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:35 AM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the background, Big MoneyJim

That is very interesting and helpful for a newbie like me!

I very much like the current atmosphere & dialog here. I have seen the grousing that it is pretty quiet controvery-wise, and not super dooper technical every thread, and has a fair amount of peripheral stuff not 100% related to FI/RE.

I say there are other places to argue about which specific investment vehicle is the penultimate to the final degree, so this board needn't be that,

that there are plenty of places to point people to for highly technical matters,

that the periphral-looking stuff may not be 100% FI/RE related itself, but knowing how people approaching FI/RE are doing it/thinking about it (travel, home downsizing, tax managment, storing goods, getting mail forwarded, etc) is very useful in my eyes.

I guess my point is, it seems a lot of FI/RE interest people - those in it, those approaching it, or those curious about it, are all meeting here to discuss generalities, questions, ideas. Sometimes those are heavy tehcnical, often not.

I for one, think the mix is just right. The value to me is having those who have done it/are doing it, available for those thinking about it.

Thanks again!
DRiP Guy
Old 01-09-2007, 07:52 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRiP Guy

I say there are other places to argue about which specific investment vehicle is the penultimate to the final degree, so this board needn't be that,
Where do you go to find the absolute second best?