Join Early Retirement Today

Retirement Bonus...Leaving bad people behind
Old 06-03-2017, 06:06 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have been retired a little over three years now...the Class of 2014. I am still constantly aware of how great it is to not have all those bad people from work in my life anymore. You know the type...the malcontents, gossipers, hypochondriacs, smoozers, parasites, and such. I no longer have those bad people in my life! That's one of the best things about being retired. I am now surrounded by people of my own choosing all the time and it is really nice. Now, every day is a sunny day! Have you guys noticed that after being retired, too?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2017, 06:12 AM   #2

Took me a while. Maybe 5 minutes or so.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:14 AM   #3

I actually miss most of the folks I used to w*rk with. I don't miss the office politics, or the crazy MegaCorp rules, or the constant cutbacks in budgets and health care benefits, or the constant increases in "expected" free overtime by salaried employees.

I think we all fall into gossiping or complaining when at w*rk. I'm trying to wean myself of those habits, which is why I fight the urge to post on the threads about gripes or pet peeves. Although admittedly, if you search, you'll find I've broken my own rules a few times here

I can't avoid becoming an old guy, but I can try not to become a grumpy old guy!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:46 AM   #4

Been almost 11 years for me. I'm way over the work thing. Really only think about how it was while on this site. Some advice? Move on.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:53 AM   #5

It's been 7 months for me and it has surprised me how little I think about my former work life. While I was w*rking, I was very engaged in my career, but I've had no trouble moving on. I've talked with or had lunch with a few former colleagues, but have found I really don't like hearing about what's going on there now. It's not part of my life any more and I especially don't enjoy hearing about negativity there.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:13 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I worked with a lot of great people over the years- just got back from a meeting of my professional society in Toronto and had a great time reconnecting and attending only the sessions I wanted since I was on my own dime and didn't need continuing ed.

I did leave my last job due to toxic politics- fortunately none of the "toxics" was in Toronto. I also compete in the local corporate athletics competition for my employer before that- I have a mile run and 1/4- mile run next week. I hear about how HQ in Switzerland is pretty much trying to empty out the local office in favor of Switzerland or Westchester County, which is WAY more expensive than this area. One former colleague posted on FB that she just left after 20 years. She never said where she was going but said we'd catch up at the track meet. I think I know what her story will be.

It was a good career and an interesting business but these encounters do make me count my blessings.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:41 AM   #7

I always enjoyed the company of my coworkers and industry colleagues. I still engage with them since I'm still in the industry part time and I still enjoy the interactions. Many have become good friends.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:08 AM   #8

Not in my conscious anymore, but I wouldn't call them bad people.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:24 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I worked with basically good people. Most of them I had no desire to hang out with outside the office, but I do have a few I keep in touch with. Of those few, some of them I met with outside the office, as I would call them friends.

What I was most happy to be rid of was the commute, something I am endlessly reminded of when I see how the Long Island Rail Road has nearly daily problems going into and out of Penn Station, my destination on the LIRR but not my final destination (Jersey City, New Jersey), which would make my commute even more miserable.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:32 AM   #10

Oh God, yes!
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:44 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
I have been retired a little over three years now...the Class of 2014. I am still constantly aware of how great it is to not have all those bad people from work in my life anymore. You know the type...the malcontents, gossipers, hypochondriacs, smoozers, parasites, and such. I no longer have those bad people in my life! That's one of the best things about being retired. I am now surrounded by people of my own choosing all the time and it is really nice. Now, every day is a sunny day! Have you guys noticed that after being retired, too?
For sure, although there really were few malcontents at my work, and while there was office politics, as there is in any organization, it was never malicious. I think for me it was mostly no longer having to be "on performance", acting motivated, handling different bosses, managing people, meetings etc.

That was all quickly forgotten.

I think what I relished the most was no longer having to commute!!! I think that celebration lasted a few years.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:44 AM   #12

Before I left the building
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Been almost 11 years for me. I'm way over the work thing. Really only think about how it was while on this site. Some advice? Move on.
I'm only on my 2nd year of ER, but I almost never look back. I had a good job with generally reasonable people and didn't leave because I "just couldn't stand it anymore", but simply because I was at the point where I could afford to retire, and since nobody knows how many years they have left on the clock, I decided to leave and write my own script. Smooth transition, absolutely no regrets, but also no undue "shackles coming off". Just enjoying the ride
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

I think what I relished the most was no longer having to commute!!! I think that celebration lasted a few years.
Oh yes, I forgot about the commute!!!! (well, there you go: I've DEFINITELY moved on )
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:03 AM   #15

Retirees from my former w*rkplace have had an "alumni" group for many years -- in fact, the group is having a mixer next week. There's usually four such events a year. I don't attend them often, but I will go to the upcoming one. When I took part in a similar event shortly after retiring nearly four years ago, about 100 people were there.

I've counted myself fortunate in having a career that I shared with interesting people and one that enabled me to speak my mind more or less freely. (While knowing the times when I should keep my mouth shut!) I'm looking forward to catching up with old friendships.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:48 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
For sure, although there really were few malcontents at my work, and while there was office politics, as there is in any organization, it was never malicious. I think for me it was mostly no longer having to be "on performance", acting motivated, handling different bosses, managing people, meetingsx etc....
Yes! I was really happy to shed all my work personae (which varied, depending on the person I was dealing with). Nothing to do with "bad people" in general.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:31 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As I wrote, I'm still celebrating the elimination of the commute! Every time I see a LIRR train or hear a transit report on the radio or TV, or hear about the LIRR or PATH fares going up again (I'd be paying $27 per trip if I were still working 2 days a week), I tell myself, "I am SOOOOOO glad I don't have to deal with that crappola any more!"
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:40 PM   #18

I was apparently lucky with the people I worked with. While there was of course some griping, generally I worked with a good group of people and didn't have any really "toxic" ones that I read about here. A few were definitely "half a bubble off center" but they were good folks.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:55 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Now if I could rid myself of the malcontents, gossipers, hypochondriacs, smoozers, parasites we call my family.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:17 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Now if I could rid myself of the malcontents, gossipers, hypochondriacs, smoozers, parasites we call my family.
I hear you there.

The folks I worked with for over 30 years were much easier to be around. I really don't have any memories of work people that were hard to deal with or "toxic"(?).