Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Retirement Coming Up
Old 08-16-2005, 01:46 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm 37, DH is 44.

Our target date is January 2010, or about five years. *We'll have around $500k in interest-bearing assets and no mortgage, if all goes according to plan.

I expect it will be more of a semi-retirement than a full retirement, because DH does enjoy his work--he just wants not to be bound by the need for a paycheck.

I can't say I enjoy my work, but I have a range of other interests and such that may provide some income. *(Though if I sell the novel I'm working on and it makes me millions... neither of us will complain. LOL)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2005, 02:26 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Monday, though I'm taking leave so I don't have to come in. That makes Friday at 2:30PM PDT my effective "never going back to work" retirement date.

cheers,
Michael

Old 08-16-2005, 02:34 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Michael
Monday, though I'm taking leave so I don't have to come in. That makes Friday at 2:30PM PDT my effective "never going back to work" retirement date.

cheers,
Michael
Congratulations Michael!
Feel a little different... a little lighter?
Old 08-16-2005, 03:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Monday, though I'm taking leave so I don't have to come in.* That makes Friday at 2:30PM PDT my effective "never going back to work" retirement date.
Michael,
Congratulations. It is a wonderful feeling once you realize next week that you are not on vacation....you are retired. It may take a while to sink in but once it does you will be walking on air. My wife did it and she was a very very happy camper while it lasted. My turn will come again; not now but soon and I will be out for good this time.

Enjoy the rest of your life.....you worked for it.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:01 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Retirement Coming Up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
My goal is to retire at 50 (36 right now). Unfortunately, I didn't get ER religion until a couple of years ago, so I wasted all of my 20's...
I think this is where you're supposed to say "Ah, but what memories!!"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 04:03 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Michael, congratulations on your upcoming retirement. *My husband retires in October so we are happy campers. *I take it day by day at this point. *One wrong move by management or more dump jobs on my desk, I am out of here! *
Enjoy your new found freedom come next week. *On to a new adventure in your life!
Old 08-16-2005, 04:50 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger
One wrong move by management or more dump jobs on my desk, I am out of here! *
I feel the same way.* How many of you ERs just ignored the dump jobs the last few months of your working lives, knowing that management couldn't do anything to you since you were leaving anyway?

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 04:59 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

July 1, 2007, is "Retirement Day" for both me (and my wife, I think). Also, almost my 60th birthday, which isn't all that early, but my wife and I have decided to wait until then in order to get our youngest child out of college.

I semi-retired myself a year and a half ago, but I find that I'm just as busy as previously (in part because this part-time job should be full-time). My wife and I could just call it quits now, but two years isn't all that long. Now that people know I'm "available," I'm amazed at how many projects keep popping up -- most wanting pro bono help but some actually willing to pay for my "extra" time.

Old 08-16-2005, 09:08 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
I feel the same way.* How many of you ERs just ignored the dump jobs the last few months of your working lives, knowing that management couldn't do anything to you since you were leaving anyway?* *
That rarely happened-- most of them were ignoring me because they couldn't do anything to me...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:39 PM   #30

I have always planned on age 55. I am CSRS under Fed Civil Service System. However, we have had big changes in management and their style of management. They seem like nice people, but they are way into micro managing everything and when you are not used to that (read: we had a manager who knew that we knew what to do and did it, so he had a very laid back approach) it is very hard. Also, we had 4 people retire last year and another 3 are retiring this year and our office only has 13 people. Dealing with so much change and so much work, morale is getting very low. I am seriously considering taking the early out next August (they said they are anticipating giving early outs at our agency again next year-I just passed on the one this year, because I want a higher pension). I need to get serious about tracking our money and making sure that I can do this. If I go next year I will be 53 and my daughter will be starting her senior year in high school. I told DH to seriously think it over and if he has any doubts at all to let me know soon, because once I retire it is over! I have 32 yrs in with the gov.

Dreamer
Old 08-19-2005, 08:47 AM   #31

Quote:

cheers,
Michael
Have a ER Independence day!
Old 08-19-2005, 10:52 AM   #32

This October at 43 for me .
Old 08-19-2005, 11:50 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't slacked off (any more than usual) as I didn't want to leave my coworkers stuck with extra work (over and above what they'll have to do because I won't be around).

I've had what is probably viewed as a "bad" attitude for years, though I see it as just being realistic. But what does reality have to do with work?

The other three of my remaining old timer compatriots (still doing programmatic stuff where I made the switch to systems fulltime a few years back) will all be gone by 03 Jan 2006, meaning that there won't be anyone their side of the branch who worked here during the 70s/80s.

Institutional memory? Who needs it? It just gets in the way. At least that appears to be the attitude of management, as they haven't shown any concern about 70 years of top-notch work history in this specific job (my coworkers) walking out the door.

Two of them already had their plans made and announced for retirement. The other one came out of a training session for a new review yesterday and announced she was calling HR to get a retirement package. The handwriting on the wall had suddenly became very clear for her.

Thanks for the last day good wishes. I'm looking forward to more people getting them.

cheers,
Michael
Old 08-19-2005, 12:27 PM   #34

Michael,

Just a couple more hours. I remember my last day the first time I ER'd. ( I know, don't go there). The instanity and inhumanity of modern megacorp is beyond what most people not in that arena can possibly imagine. I left just after lunch on my last day (had to attend my final party you know) and then Elvis left the building.

I know many others I used to work with that bailed out before they lost the rest of their common sense, their humanity and their minds. Life in megacorp is unbelievable. I have seen a shift from common sense and using your brain and creativity to get things done to a herd mentality where HR and a disconnected management class call the shots without a clue as to the real target.

Brain Drain or historic intelligence is being lost in a big way. Management has no idea what they are losing because they did not live through the times where that shared knowledge was learned and why that may be important in the future. They would rather learn it all again and waste the time and money in doing so instead of being proactive and finding a way to capture at least some of this knowledge.

Anyway, enjoy your new life.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:32 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

End of April 2006 for me - on 57th birthday. Already getting very impatient. Trying to stay the course through end of 2005 as a normal employee and then shift into cruise mode come Jan 1.