Join Early Retirement Today

Retirement in a 3rd World USA
Old 08-02-2006, 08:46 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Retirement in a 3rd World USA

How will your retirement plans fit into this scenario?

http://www.almartinraw.com/public/column269.html
Hydroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Retirement in a 3rd World USA
Old 08-02-2006, 08:58 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'd build my own tin foil hat instead of buying a pre-made one.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:07 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I'd build my own tin foil hat instead of buying a pre-made one.
That's no way to LBYM! Didn't you know that tin foil hats were on sale at Sam's this week??* :
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:09 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I was going to use the foil that my chicken came wrapped in.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:12 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I was going to use the foil that my chicken came wrapped in.
Now, that's a different story! At this rate the Greater Pacific LBYM Society may even forgive your Lexus in another couple of years*
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:24 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

WOW!!!!

I did not read the whole thing... why waste my time...

I just have a question... who wastes time even LOOKING for this kind of stuff
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 03:57 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I dunno.. the parts about 'customer service', food packaging down-sizing, and pharmacy shortages were pure CFB!*

The article is couched in extremist terms, but when you have the Bush dynasty itself promoting "a New World Order" and the "Project for a New American Century" and you look at where this has actually brought us, what our costs have been and will be... well, that, too, is extreme.

Don't forget Enron and the induced power shortages in CA.. then Bush at Lay's funeral, where Kenny Boy was compared to MLK and JESUS CHRIST, for f**'s sake.

I used to think the US was a 'normal' place... not any more.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in620626.shtml

Quote:
"He just f---s California," says one Enron employee. "He steals money from California to the tune of about a million."

"Will you rephrase that?" asks a second employee.

"OK, he, um, he arbitrages the California market to the tune of a million bucks or two a day," replies the first.
Quote:
...traders deliberately drove up prices by ordering power plants shut down.

"If you took down the steamer, how long would it take to get it back up?" an Enron worker is heard saying.

"Oh, it's not something you want to just be turning on and off every hour. Let's put it that way," another says.

"Well, why don't you just go ahead and shut her down."
Quote:
Before the 2000 election, Enron employees pondered the possibilities of a Bush win.

"It'd be great. I'd love to see Ken Lay Secretary of Energy," says one Enron worker.
If you think 3rd World means living in grass huts.. no. If you think it means having a pluto-kleptocracy similar to that of, say, Nigeria, yep, I'd say we're already well on the way there.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:36 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Pick any era of the USA. You will always have people spouting their conspiracy mumbo jumbo. There is no Bush new world order simply because hes on his last term. Now if somehow they extend his term, then be worried
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:16 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I go to the pharmacy and buy a three month supply of asthma drugs. In the last year or so often they can't give me three months worth. They will mail me the stuff when it comes in.

I am unconfortable with pharmacies doing such tight inventory control. My insurance company doesn't let me stockpile drugs. I can get a three month supply but I can only refill that supply near the end of the three months. What if there was a disruption in the supply chain? Isn't there a risk people could be without life saving drugs?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:01 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge
At this rate the Greater Pacific LBYM Society may even forgive your Lexus in another couple of years
Hey, in ten years when I get 2/3 of my money back on that car, the LBYM society will crown me king...

The article had within the conspiracy theorist wrapping some reasonable points. The causes and effects were pretty dang odd though.

One big giant hairball...invisible inflation and economic pressures are signs that bush and cheney will be seizing dictatorial powers via the patriot act. Maybe he should have put that stuff nearer the end and tried building some credibility up front before foaming at the mouth.

Martha...dontcha love the 'new drug' policies? For asthma meds, try blue cross's precisionrx. They supply 60 day supplies for the 30 day co-pay and its all mail order...you click on 'refill' on the web site and you get it 2-4 days later. I've ordered double refills for my wifes asthma meds (120 day supplies) and they've sent them, no problems. Sign up at the web site, print out the prescription form and have your doctor write it up for 60 day supplies with 6-12 refills, and fax it to precisionrx. Pain in the butt to start up, but realllly easy after that.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:10 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwsinron
There is no Bush new world order simply because hes on his last term. Now if somehow they extend his term, then be worried
I remember some pin heads in the pre-watergate 70's who were absolutely convinced that Nixon was going to declare marshal law, suspend the constitution, and stay on indefinetly as a dictator.

Bush isn't related to Nixon, is he
Old 08-03-2006, 04:03 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Well, I have it on good authority that neither one is a crooks. It helps if as you read the end of that last sentence you flash some peace signs and flap your jowls around as you say it.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:44 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Funny story about Tricky Dick, I think Hunter Thompson told it in one of his books/reports. Nixon was standing around with the narrator between airplanes, and neither one said anything for a bit. Nixon, who was extremely "socially challenged" and had very little idea of what Joe American was really like, tried to make some small talk and keep things comfortable. So he turns and asks, "did you and your wife do any fornicating this weekend?"
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Now if somehow they extend his term, then be worried
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1605895.shtml
Quote:
President Bush suggested Wednesday that he'd like to see his family's White House legacy continue, perhaps with his younger brother Jeb as the chief executive. The president said Florida Gov. Jeb Bush is well-suited for another office and would make "a great president."
... Former President George H.W. Bush told CNN's "Larry King Live" last year that he would like Jeb Bush to run one day and that he would be "awfully good" as president.
Brrrrrrrr
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:55 AM   #15

How about Neil Bush or Marvin or Dorothy--or Laura--why must it always be Jeb ? And what about those twins? :