Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Retirement jobs
Old 04-19-2007, 11:20 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Bummer. I was interested in hearing about your experience because I would like to do the same thing next year. But maybe Franz and Hilda won't be here.
I would hope not. Interesting that F & H have such good numbers (returns completed each year) that they get all sorts of accolades from the AARP as one of the best run programs in the state. Waaaaay to reminiscent of megacorp. :P

Quote:
I won't do my own taxes, but other people's sound like fun.
Some are very interesting, some are a real pain. Not surprising, but our happiest clients were those getting a refund, and the grumpiest were those who owed...especially those owing a penalty, which occurred much more often than I would have thought.

One thing I did gain from the experience is an appreciation of just how little income some people live on. I am truly a fortunate person. We had several show up that made too little to file, but we did get them to complete a 1040EZ-T to get their telephone tax refund.

Quote:
Law day is May 1 and I am going to sit at the mall answering legal questions for people. No training necessary and no one looking over my shoulder. Should be fun.
You can be your own Franz & Hilda...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2007, 11:27 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
I had several problems with the program, all centered around the sour old German couple who led the program.

I never heard Franz or Hilda ever said "thank you" to a single volunteer.
Same issue with a volunteer program I was involved with. "Zohar and Sara" were ego-maniacs taking constant credit for everything we accomplished! Just listening to them grated on me.........so one morning I decided I had better things to do with my time that day..........and that's turned out to be true.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:35 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Why in the world would they care about getting more computers or preparing a higher volume of returns? I would think that the important factor is accuracy.

Quote:
Call me an old grouch, but I don't think I'm going to continue to be involved in this program again unless they get some new leadership.
That's the whole idea of FI-- you don't have to spend time with people you don't like. (No, I meant financial independence, not family independence!) And you can't volunteer or participate when your emotional tank is empty.

I can see the phone call at the REW house this winter: "Volunteer again to prepare the tax returns? Why, I'd love to-- I really enjoy helping those people!! Say, will Franz & Hilda be there this year too? Oh, they will? Gee, I'm sorry... I just remembered that I have schedule conflicts during that entire time. I guess if neither of them can make it then maybe I can resolve the conflicts. But thanks for calling!"

Another factor in volunteering is liability/error/omissions insurance. I don't think I want to serve on a non-profit board ever again.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:40 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

Another factor in volunteering is liability/error/omissions insurance. I don't think I want to serve on a non-profit board ever again.
I'm currently on the board of a startup nonprofit (i.e. we're still working on our IRS paperwork). Between workload and interpersonal drama it's been much more of a drain than I anticipated, and I am really not sure I would do it again, even leaving aside the liability issues. I'm already on the lookout for a naive patsy replacement as soon as the paperwork goes to the feds.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:58 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKLibrarian
I'm currently on the board of a startup nonprofit (i.e. we're still working on our IRS paperwork). Between workload and interpersonal drama it's been much more of a drain than I anticipated, and I am really not sure I would do it again, even leaving aside the liability issues. I'm already on the lookout for a naive patsy replacement as soon as the paperwork goes to the feds.
Been there, took the finances through the IRS's five-year probation period to certification, and don't need to do it again. If you're the Treasurer then you have my deepest sympathy.

Here's a word of advice: Give your relief a great turnover and hope that they never need to call you ever again, but save a personal copy of all the records. (Don't let anyone know that you've taken this self-defense step.) That way if you get a call the following year from the President asking you to take over for your (recently resigned) successor, you can pick up the pieces without having to resort to forensic accounting or scavenger hunts.

Oh, yeah, and give 'em a few free phone calls-- but after that start charging at least $50/hour.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:10 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
I'm looking for a position as a lap dance inspector. I think that's a job that I can really get up for.
If you have any info on how to apply, please call me a 1-900-JOBLUST

I'm willing to put in, long hours and work, hard.

Dream job.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:59 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Been there, took the finances through the IRS's five-year probation period to certification, and don't need to do it again. If you're the Treasurer then you have my deepest sympathy.

Here's a word of advice: Give your relief a great turnover and hope that they never need to call you ever again, but save a personal copy of all the records. (Don't let anyone know that you've taken this self-defense step.) That way if you get a call the following year from the President asking you to take over for your (recently resigned) successor, you can pick up the pieces without having to resort to forensic accounting or scavenger hunts.

Oh, yeah, and give 'em a few free phone calls-- but after that start charging at least $50/hour.
Secretary, which is almost as horrible but not quite. we're currently on Treasurer #2, and I wouldn't be surprised if they chew through her too before too much longer. and I AM thinking about starting a p/t consulting business soon, so I'd even have the infrastructure together to bill them. :-)
Old 04-19-2007, 05:42 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I worked for a number of years in various volunteer positions and one of the things that really irked me was the total lack of fiduciary responsibility within the organization or any respect for the volunteers' time. Money that should have gone to support valuable programs was totally wasted because of carelessness and disorganization. Those who ran the programs should never have been in leadership positions. They were in it purely for ego.

It was worse than Corporate America and I decided I didn't need to spend any more time being stressed, especially without a paycheck!

That is why I am very leery of supporting organizations financially unless I am sure they are at least as fiscally responsible as I am with my money.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:39 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You can be your own Franz & Hilda...

Years ago on law day, two of us went to the university to answer student questions. Like how to get that deposit back from the evil landlord after trashing the apartment. Or get out of the underage drinking ticket. Or avoid eviction after being only two months behind on rent. I was young and took the questions seriously and would carefully explain the law. Today I would say: Pay your rent! Apologize to your landlord and fix the damage! Accept some personal responsibility, you're a big boy now!

We will see what the mall brings. . .

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:02 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
This is an old thread but I wanted to follow up with a summary of my adventures as a volunteer tax preparer for the AARP Tax-Aide program, part of the IRS-Sponsored Tax Counseling for the Elderly.

Thanks REWahoo for the feedback on your experiences.

After retiring in 2000, I also worked for HR Block, but for five years. I pretty much ignored all the crappy selling and did what I thought was right by the client. Tried to talk folks out of taking the loan, generally talked of IRA in a general sense. Yep, only one year did I get their "bonus". Loved doing the puzzle and meeting the folks that came in but finally had enough and did not sign back on last Fall.

I almost voluteered for the AARP program but a friend mentioned her CPA firm is always swamped at tax time. Sent a resume in and very quickly got hired. So just spent the last season figuring out how to handle K1s from trusts, partnerships, and S-corps rather than figuring out who can claim a child for EIC. Huge difference in clientel. Likely will go back to work for them again next season.....and the pay was 50% better than HR Block offered. Only downside was I didn't get to meet the folks I was doing taxes for, that was the partner's perogative. Sat in a cubby doing paper and data entry.

Sad to hear of your AARP experience as I was thinking of giving it a try some year.

RE2Boys