Retirement nearly 3 weeks in ..

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
6:45AM A few seconds before DD asked me to ‘lock her out’ the old pooch scratched on the front door. The little dog bell hanging from the handle did its job and amplified the ‘scratch’. It would be her second walk of the day, the first was about 4:50AM. My fault I got up to use the facilities (Late night big mug of warming tea) and I woke her. Not a big deal, I was awake anyway. We, Dusty and I followed DD out the door and watched her quickly load up and pull away. Even though it was 10 degrees out her remote starter had the car already warmed up. A well used gift from Mom and Dad.

While the dog took care of business I could see my neighbors getting into their cars, warming them up and driving off. Although I always liked my job and was an early riser by nature, this was the time of year I dreaded the most. That cold uninviting car, the frozen windshield and for many years the freezing wind standing on the platform waiting the my Long Island Rail Road train. Of course the cold often delayed the train.

The disbelief has turned into accepted reality, I don’t have to go to work, not today, not ever. Silly, but I and manny others, have an affliction we are programmed to work and not doing so causes guilt. Take an unnecessary sick day - never. Before my knees went I probably took 10 sick days in 30 years. A week for a blown disc in my back and the occasional dental issue- Other than that nada. Some people consider sick days fungible with vacation days- unfortunately I wasn’t so constructed.

So nearly three weeks in and I’m starting to get into the swing of retirement’. There’s my obligatory nap - heck I was up before 5AM you know. My walk, yep 16 degrees and I was still out there and my commitment to add 1 post to my consulting website each day. I give myself three days for more complex posts of what I call ‘my master class’ demonstrations.

A funny thing happened this morning one of my posts poped up when I was googling something. That is a very good sign. I suspect I’ll continue to improve the site and I may see a job or two in a few months. If I don’t that will be fine too.. I am after all retired.

Oh, it's SO delightful not having to commute in this bitter cold! I didn't drive out anywhere yesterday, and if I go anywhere today, it'll be in the afternoon. I just peeked out to see one of my neighbors scraping the windshield, along with having his hood up. I do have to fill the birdfeeders a little later.

6:45AM A few seconds before DD asked me to ‘lock her out’ the old pooch scratched on the front door. The little dog bell hanging from the handle did its job and amplified the ‘scratch’. It would be her second walk of the day, the first was about 4:50AM. My fault I got up to use the facilities (Late night big mug of warming tea) and I woke her. Not a big deal, I was awake anyway. We, Dusty and I followed DD out the door and watched her quickly load up and pull away. Even though it was 10 degrees out her remote starter had the car already warmed up. A well used gift from Mom and Dad.

While the dog took care of business I could see my neighbors getting into their cars, warming them up and driving off. Although I always liked my job and was an early riser by nature, this was the time of year I dreaded the most. That cold uninviting car, the frozen windshield and for many years the freezing wind standing on the platform waiting the my Long Island Rail Road train. Of course the cold often delayed the train.

The disbelief has turned into accepted reality, I don’t have to go to work, not today, not ever. Silly, but I and manny others, have an affliction we are programmed to work and not doing so causes guilt. Take an unnecessary sick day - never. Before my knees went I probably took 10 sick days in 30 years. A week for a blown disc in my back and the occasional dental issue- Other than that nada. Some people consider sick days fungible with vacation days- unfortunately I wasn’t so constructed.

So nearly three weeks in and I’m starting to get into the swing of retirement’. There’s my obligatory nap - heck I was up before 5AM you know. My walk, yep 16 degrees and I was still out there and my commitment to add 1 post to my consulting website each day. I give myself three days for more complex posts of what I call ‘my master class’ demonstrations.

A funny thing happened this morning one of my posts poped up when I was googling something. That is a very good sign. I suspect I’ll continue to improve the site and I may see a job or two in a few months. If I don’t that will be fine too.. I am after all retired.
Congrats and enjoy in good health. - ER'd in Sept 2018 at age 51.

Most of the people I worked with and almost all people I would do things with are still working. I think about that a lot and see people hustling in the morning to get o work. I have a hard time thinking of doing that again, on a regular basis. The place I worked for went to 4/10's year around so those people get a 3 day weekend every week. Of course that nice work schedule came after I retired. LOL They kind of get the taste of more time for themselves.

Much of my work was completed outside in Tow lots and residences. When the weather is cold, 9 degrees here yesterday, I really appreciate not having to go to work. When there was severe winter weather, I was covered up with work. I didn't mind the hard work, just the cold temps.

Good for you Ray, you're getting into the right mental state. If it helps, consider all those previous early morning commutes as justification for why you do not have to do that today or in the future.

Two words: move south.
You can walk the dog barefoot (at least until you acclimate!).

Yes, crappy weather makes retirement much sweeter. It has been fairly warm here the last couple of days, so I have been able to mess around in the yard. Now, a cold front is coming through and the temperature will drop 30 degrees in the matter of a few hours...but that's OK...I will get the fireplace going and I won't have a worry in the world. :)

Yes, crappy weather makes retirement much sweeter. It has been fairly warm here the last couple of days, so I have been able to mess around in the yard. Now, a cold front is coming through and the temperature will drop 30 degrees in the matter of a few hours...but that's OK...I will get the fireplace going and I won't have a worry in the world. :)

Life is good on this side of retirement.

5°F this morning. FIVE degrees! That's inhuman. Should be unconstitutional or something.

I love this retirement gig! Oh, and when we retired we moved and bought a house with an attached two car garage. Wow, did that spoil us fast! No more scraping ice, frost and snow off the cars. Push the button to open the garage door, start the car up and go.

5°F this morning. FIVE degrees! That's inhuman. Should be unconstitutional or something.

I love this retirement gig! Oh, and when we retired we moved and bought a house with an attached two car garage. Wow, did that spoil us fast! No more scraping ice, frost and snow off the cars. Push the button to open the garage door, start the car up and go.

We used the garage at our Georgia home just as that...the cars were parked there. As a bonus, because it was below grade, it was almost always 60'ish degrees in there. When we moved out west, we had to use the garage in our short term rental to store stuff (that's the American way, right?) and the cars sat outside. The few times I had to go anywhere, it was painful to deal with the elements...boo!

It's all good now, as we have settled in our new home and both of the cars are safely and snugly tucked away in the garage...where they belong. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom