Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Retirement Personality type
Old 02-17-2005, 10:47 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, it may be the cart or the horse in this case.

Lets look at who makes a good early retiree:

- Makes a lot of money
- Probably doesnt spend a lot of it on yachts and airplanes
- Doesnt need the 'work social scene' to be happy
- Probably hates structure and "dilbertian big business"
- Hence wants to start own biz or find a way to stop working altogether

Sounds like predominately nerdy professionals with a good income, relatively strong willed and self motivated/driven.

And probably a bunch of wise-asses too

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2005, 12:56 PM   #42
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm almost afraid to come out...I'm an ESTJ. Is there a 12 step program for this? And...to make matters worse...I'm both left handed AND a computer science professional.

I might as well just shoot myself now...

Old 02-17-2005, 01:11 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nope

You are a treasured commodity - hang around and keep posting - to keep all us INTJ cats in balance.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:15 PM   #44

Quote:
I'm almost afraid to come out...I'm an ESTJ. Is there a 12 step program for this? And...to make matters worse...I'm both left handed AND a computer science professional.

I might as well just shoot myself now...
You're the only other ESTJ I've seen on this Board. Jarhead claims to be an EST something and he Fly Fishes too.

Something is Fishy - Maybe there is a connection
Old 02-17-2005, 04:07 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

You're the only other ESTJ I've seen on this Board. Jarhead claims to be an EST something and he Fly Fishes too.

Something is Fishy - Maybe there is a connection
Just like my hero
Old 02-17-2005, 05:39 PM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado

ISTJ - compassionate yet analytical?? Probably would have been straight INTJ until a serious accident a 6 or so years back landed me in the hospital for a long-term stay. I learned a lot about how much bad luck and circumstance play a role in life, and am grateful every day to have my health back. I now "seek first to understand" the lives of others before judging.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:57 AM   #47

Right-handed INTJ here, yet also have a very strong passionate/emotional side as well.

According to
http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

I have the following 'scores':
89.0 I
89.0 N
44.0 T
33.0 J

I absolutely LOVE numbers, crunching numbers, analyzing numbers, playing with numbers...technically, degrees in engineering and business, but can't stand engineering. Can't wait until I switch jobs next year to get something finance-related.

I think the large number of INTJs on this website is partly due to the 'foward-thinking' nature of many INTJs: many people just focus on the today's feelings and wants, rather than thinking "long-term, I want to do X when I'm 30, be doing Y when I'm 40, etc.". By looking at the long-term goals, they are able to see what is required to do that, and the FIRE awakening is much more likely to happen, rather than the 'I'll wake up tomorrow to go to work, so I can buy X, so I can enjoy tomorrow. The day after tomorrow, I'll go to work so I can buy Y...", which doesn't have as much potential to think far into the future to see that they are on a never-ending path to eternal wage slavation.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:04 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

I guess I just don't fit, or maybe I wasn't being honest with myself when I took the test. Even though I came out ENFP, I too am a forward thinker and recognize too many people get enslaved by their objects that society says you should have. Fight Club, Brad Pitt's character: "We work jobs we hate to buy sh** we don't need." That movie had a profound affect on many of my friends and me.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:39 PM   #49

Quote:
I guess I just don't fit, or maybe I wasn't being honest with myself when I took the test. *Even though I came out ENFP, I too am a forward thinker and recognize too many people get enslaved by their objects that society says you should have. *Fight Club, Brad Pitt's character: "We work jobs we hate to buy sh** we don't need." *That movie had a profound affect on many of my friends and me. *
Hi laurencewill,

Honestly, don't take that study too seriously. Let me list just a few of the reasons why:

- The MBTI has been largely ignored by the professional community because it is based on . . . well, on almost nothing. It assumes that the personality of all people can be defined by four independent traits. There is no proof of this and no proof that the four traits the test defines are the right four or that they are independent. It assumes that those traits can be measured by asking questions that will reveal dichotomous preferences, rather than choices on a continuum. Again, there is no reason to believe this is true for all people.

- The actual test instructs that optimum use of the test requires a thorough understanding of the 16 personality types by the person who administers it and it describes the importance of getting the person who takes the test in the right frame of mind. With those kinds of controls, the test is deemed reliable only about 75% to 85% of the time. The test most people take on the internet (without the aid of a knowledgable administrator) is consistent with the full test only about 65% of the time. Do the math. Half of the people who are reporting their personality type may be wrong.

- The study that is cited is based on only 134 responses and only 32 of those respondants were actually retired. The sample is not a scientifically selected group, but just a bunch of folks who shared an internet discussion board. The study group's personality types are not even a poor approximation to that of the general population or even to the typical web user. For example, 52% of the general population and 19% of web users are type ESxx. But in the study, this group was represented by only 5% of the sample.

If there is anything to the study results, I'm guessing that people who score INTJ are typically crusty curmudgeons who don't play well with others and are convinced that the only solution is to drop out of all organized activities including the workplace. :P

Relax, guys. My toungue is firmly in my cheek.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:38 PM   #50

ENTP

Just looked around on some websites for some typical characteristics for my species. This is just a selection:

Bright and capable
Natural leaders, but do not like to control people
Resist being controlled by people
Highly value knowledge and competence
Dislike confining schedules and environments
Dislike routine, detailed tasks

Mmmm, and I wonder why I am so annoyed with the incompetent hierarchical mega corporate environment controlled by a bunch of dumb asses....

vicky
Old 02-21-2005, 04:03 AM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Fight Club, Brad Pitt's character: "We work jobs we hate to buy sh** we don't need." *That movie had a profound affect on many of my friends and me.

I haven't seen that movie. I like that line. I think I'm going to soften it when I pass it along to "to buy junk we don't need." It's a nicely concise way of putting things, though.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:14 AM   #52

I prefer "Spending money you don't have, to buy things you don't need to impress people you don't like."

I have not seen the movie. I think Brad Pitt is a "wuss"

JG

Old 02-21-2005, 06:37 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

LOL JG!

I would usually agree with you about Brad, but in that movie he is one crazy, agro dude. I won't ruin it for you, but if you can handle "colorful" language and some graphic content (adult?) then I think you would enjoy the movie. Of course, I'm betting you wouldn't agree with much of it's philisophical/political bent, but enjoyable, nonetheless!
Old 02-21-2005, 08:33 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
... but in that movie he is one crazy, agro dude.
I haven't seen either flick, but I sure hope the "Fight Club" cast doesn't end up on the wrong end of "Million Dollar Baby"'s euthanasia scene...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote