Retirement Police Poll

Where do you draw the line at the term, Retired?

• I don't have an opinion, I just enjoy voting. Show me the results!

Votes: 18 10.4%
  • If one considers themselves Retired, fine. No skin off my nose.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • Low-stress, part time work can count as retired. If one is retired from their career/profession, th

Votes: 34 19.7%
  • As long as the work is enjoyable, at your leisure, and the extra cash is nice but not needed, then t

Votes: 45 26.0%
  • If a hobby generates money as a happy by-product, well, that certainly doesn't count as work. You'r

Votes: 45 26.0%
  • Gardening is hard work. Eating vegetables you grew in your bay window means you're a subsistence far

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • One who does Due Diligence in their Active Investing or any frequent research, fiddling, or fine tun

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • If thou pickest up any object greater than a fig, thou art doing work. Thou shalt not call thyself

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • Other opinion. I may or may not say in comments below.

Votes: 7 4.0%

• Total voters
When I don't have to commute to the sweatshop any more, I will be retired from being an engineer. No more hardhats or steel toed boots.

But since DW won't be punching out until several months after me, I'm not sure whether to identify my new profession as Househusband, Kept Man, Gigolo or Toy Boy. In any case, it will call for a different wardrobe! ;)

You are going to have to study up on retirement, it's called: Boy Toy :cool:

Happy to be a fugitive from the retirement police.

I still go into the office a few days a week, mostly because it's a productive place to get non-work things done. Having an office and a secretary in the CBD is convenient. The small amount of money I get from doing consulting work I find interesting and enjoyable is irrelevant to me. It doesn't really matter whether self-appointed retirement vigilantes consider me retired or not.

I call myself semi-retired because 7 months after I retired I was asked to teach an online college class. I have been doing it for 5 years and love it. A teacher friend of mine occasionally does some tutoring because it is fun. They definitely don’t need the $.

Attachments

• being-bored-is-an-insult-to-your-intelligence (1).jpg
    being-bored-is-an-insult-to-your-intelligence (1).jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 37
I just retired 6 months ago. But what I am sure to make clear is the fact I retire with my current bills being paid. If I want to travel the world, or something else just as costly, I work some contract jobs here and there to pay for the endeavor.

Incidentally, I have had my blood pressure checked multiple times in the last 6 months, and I am happy to report it is normal. When I was working and supervising others, it was considered "pre-hypertension".

At least some of the more famous ER bloggers are encouraging others to take on ER risks they themselves are not subject to, and I think that it is good to shine the light of day on their fables. One guy encouraged others to retire on a shoestring, while really his wife was working full time and then he went back to work full time as a quant. Another has Canadian citizenship for a backstop for healthcare, still works full-time making 6 figures, leaves half or more of his expenses off his "budget" (home repairs, health insurance, travel, taxes), misstates the 4% "rule" and refers to but misstates significant portions of the advice in The Millionaire Next Door. One ER blogging family says they are retired yet readers found a public filing from the husband's employer showing he was still working and making over $200K a year, not including their book and blog income.

So, no, I would not say these type of ER bloggers are really retired.

I'm soooo glad that I, as an ER blogger, didn't make this list! :D

Not so fast. Pull over and show us your retirement license.

I will gladly do so in a month when I get back from our summer trip to the Bahamas in mid-July. :D In the meantime I'll bask in the glory of knowing I'm a fugitive from (internet retirement police) justice. :D

I have been retired for 30+ years, My Wife who is 37 is planning to start a new career in a few years and will probably work for another 20-30 years. I should probably stop calling myself "retired" and just refer to myself as "happy".

Maybe happy house husband? Congratulations. It seems that the Expat life has been working out well for you?

when I get back from our summer trip to the Bahamas in mid-July.

I have to say that the week I spent in the Bahamas in mid-July was one of the most miserable weeks I've ever spent. So hot with that unrelenting sun beating down that even unlimited Kaliks couldn't dull the discomfort.

The diving was fabulous and I remember that part fondly, but the part on land was dreadful. Hope you have a better time than I did.

I have to say that the week I spent in the Bahamas in mid-July was one of the most miserable weeks I've ever spent. So hot with that unrelenting sun beating down that even unlimited Kaliks couldn't dull the discomfort.

The diving was fabulous and I remember that part fondly, but the part on land was dreadful. Hope you have a better time than I did.

We're half way through our stay right now. The heat isn't bad. 80's during the day and a decent amount of humidity. We're right on the ocean so there's always a breeze. We go out first thing in the morning (which is 9 am for us late risers :) ). Then chill inside during the day and head out for a few minutes here and there, or stay in the shade on the patio or the covered areas by the beach. Then go back out right after dinner and enjoy a couple hours as we watch the sun set while floating in the ocean.

It's pretty bad-a$$ here. Can't complain :) Nowhere near as hot as North Carolina this time of year, though we did fear it would be really hot in the Bahamas.

It helps that we have a half mile of undeveloped beach all to ourselves. And the water is crystal clear and shallow several hundred feet out, so snorkeling is AMAZING. Most days there's nobody out here or maybe 1-2 other couples from our partially occupied 20 unit condo complex. All the other condo developments and houses nearby appear to be smashed up and destroyed by the 2016 Hurricane Matthew. Not that there's much development here anyway.

We also found some great beer here (better than Kalik anyway). The Bahamian Brewery, maker of Sands, also brews a good stout called "Strong Back". Reminds me of a better version of Guinness (which I don't particularly like) or a German Schwarzbier. They import everything from Germany including their Brewmaster.

Attachments

• Justin-RootofGood-bahamas2018-couple.jpg
    Justin-RootofGood-bahamas2018-couple.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I make a simple distinction between retired and semi-retired. Retired = no (or very little) paid work. Semi-retired = have dialed back (e.g., to PT) but still doing some paid work.

Awesome! I've been retired 6 months now. Sent out a few resumes for online college training, but no bites yet. I love being retired early, but honestly, starting to get bored.

You know, boredom is something that comes up from time to time for me too. I think it's natural when a life situation changes and one has more time on their hands. For me, I think it's a signal to myself that some changes have to be made. I usually will take that cue and reach out to make adjustments, and it usually makes the difference.

Back
Top Bottom