Retirement Speech

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Coming up soon, time to announce retirement. Have a couple of groups to talk to.. first, peer group at upcoming company meeting, then announcement to about 70 employees that I lead and oversee.

Any advice, do's, don'ts, thoughts, one-liners that I could use?

I made mine pretty short and upbeat. Do NOT risk boring the audience.

Remember that most people would really rather hear about themselves than you, so my suggestion is to thank everyone repeatedly for all their help and cameraderie over the years, blah blah blah.

Another suggestion to make the speech more upbeat is to mention some possible new activities that sound like fun. I think I said something about golf, and gardening, although I have actually done neither since retirement. Mentioning these fun-sounding activities allowed them to visualize what I might be doing, and thus reassured everyone that I would be fine in retirement.

Congratulations!

Any advice, do's, don'ts, thoughts, one-liners that I could use?

For a few bits of humor, try starting out with some activities that sound like a workplace, but will be your retirement life:

"Unreasonable demands of my time...last-minute flights to far away places...people thinking your time has no value and is to be used for free...being asked to justify what you do all day: these are the things I have to look forward to being retired w/ my spouse!" :)

I made mine pretty short and upbeat. Do NOT risk boring the audience.

Remember that most people would really rather hear about themselves than you, so my suggestion is to thank everyone repeatedly for all their help and cameraderie over the years, blah blah blah.
+1

I told a modified version of "The Chauffeur and the Professor" story and pointed out the audience that night was filled with those who had been my 'cheauffeurs' throughout my professional career, a major reason for my success, and thanked them profusely.

My final email and speech were both short, concise. I had the speech written down, it was just over half a page, if I spoke off the top of my head it would have taken longer and said less. I wanted to say thanks (though I pretty much knew it verbatim when the time came), but mostly to leave them with as positive a message as I could - to give credit to everyone else (none of us succeed on our own) and wish them all the best personally and professionally. On a personal note, I wished them:
  • Good health (without it, the rest doesn't mean as much)
  • Prosperity (spend less than you make, the more the better)
  • Real happiness (the kind that can only come from within)

FWIW, best of luck...

I will be tempted to point out to everyone who'll listen that from this day forward, they work for ME.

Amethyst

A thread from a few years back might have some useful advice http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/speech-at-my-swan-song-52423.html

Thanks, I knew I posted something on this in the past. Whew my Alzheimer's must be in remission.

Just remember Lincoln's words.
The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here

So make it funny and upbeat, and most importantly be compassionate toward your co workers so keep it short. Only your speech stands in the way of the bar and the food. Remember they are still working stiffs so they'll need the drinks more than we do.

Not being very far up the management chain I did not make a broad announcement or speech. I did visit certain individuals to tell them in person of my decision to ER before they heard it through the grapevine, which usually turned into a 30 minute discussion about how I knew I was financially ready. Most were appreciative I took the time to tell them individually.

On my second-to-last day, I sent a concise farewell email to a broad audience, thanking them for their collaborations with me over the years, telling them briefly of my retirement plans (hobbies), and wishing them and the company all the best, and signed with contact information. No more than 4 or 5 sentences. I've seen and skipped over other people's farewell emails that droned on for many paragraphs; I did not want mine to go unread by everyone.

Mine will be very short and mostly off the cuff in response to whatever was said about me. I've always hated waffle, so I'm not going to start now. Three and a bit weeks to go until I deliver it!

I most likely will not have a retirement speech, and that's fine with me. The founders of the company retired recently and had no retirement celebrations or speeches at work. So as a former part owner and current part time worker, I will not have one either. And I may do some consulting for the co after my current part time gig ends April 1, so its not like I'll be severing all ties as in a normal retirement.

Last edited:
Speaking of points to be made at retirement speeches, where can I find the cartoon where the man is thinking "Time = Money," and the grave stone says "Time > Money"?

Thanks,

Amethyst

No, I'm not that mean, really :angel: Hey, I work in a strange place where people actually talk about retirement like it's gonna happen (and often have a second career all planned out, unlike lazy old me). I've described the cartoon to people of various ages, who all seemed to "get it." I think it will have even more impact if I can show it.

Amethyst

Are you sure you want to rub salt in any wounds out in the audience?

Speaking of points to be made at retirement speeches, where can I find the cartoon where the man is thinking "Time = Money," and the grave stone says "Time > Money"?

Thanks,

Amethyst
This one?

Attachments

• WhyRetire.gif
    WhyRetire.gif
    60 KB · Views: 78
Keep the retirement speech short, positive and upbeat. Mine was less than 5 minutes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom