Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-24-2008, 05:23 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Even easier, just fill your tub with ice and water, then sit in it with your spouse for a couple of weeks.

If that doesnt deter you, have an inch or two of ice frozen onto your car every night for a couple of months, and get up at 6am every morning to scrape it off.

I think the texas version is standing under a broiler with a 100mph fan blowing at you while someone sprays you in the face with a firehose and another guy throws buckets of chiggers and scorpions at you.

Tomorrow, the weatherman is forecasting 104 here in Texas. But...

I lived in New Hampshire during the 70s. I was proud of shoveling that snow. And you better have a garage with a heater if you were gonna change your oil. And when all the snow melted there was the garbage you just couldn't see under all that pretty white. And you had to wear a coat to run next door. And if you parked on the wrong side of the road, the snow plow got you. And summer was beautiful; both days. And jumping in the Atlantic made you shrivel up if you didn't have a cardiac event. And it was real easy to slip on the ice in your driveway and bust your you know what. I did that. And from November to April, DW dressed up to go to bed. And you went to w*rk when it was dark and you came home when it was dark.

Of course, NH is warmer than both Minnesota and/or Wisconsin. Enjoy.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2008, 05:33 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43 View Post
And when all the snow melted there was the garbage you just couldn't see under all that pretty white.
And the newspaper delivery guy that everyone thought just ran off somewhere.

Every bone I've broken except for one was the result of slipping on ice in a driveway or on a sidewalk in MA.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:18 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

and when you came out of work there was six inches of snow on your car and you forgot the scrapper !
Old 07-24-2008, 07:15 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

...gripping your american express card in ungloved frozen fingers and desperately trying to get the ice off the windshield...

...finally finishing and then stepping backwards into a 9" deep hole full of slushy water...

...the thrill of feeling it soak your sock on its way to filling up your shoe...driving home with one cold, bare foot with the wet sock and shoe under the heater on the passenger side...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:22 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
...gripping your american express card in ungloved frozen fingers and desperately trying to get the ice off the windshield...

...finally finishing and then stepping backwards into a 9" deep hole full of slushy water...

...the thrill of feeling it soak your sock on its way to filling up your shoe...driving home with one cold, bare foot with the wet sock and shoe under the heater on the passenger side...
Ahh!! The good old days. It brings a tear to my eye.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:28 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

REWahoo's advice is very key... no matter what place your husband relocates to, you should rent for a year before deciding to put down roots; especially if you don't have family in the area or other ties!

Winter really starts in early- to mid-December. Thanksgiving is generally nice but there may be some flurries between late September and December... still, we've gone geo-caching every Thanksgiving with nothing more than long-sleeve shirts or jackets and have been fine.

MnDOT's mission is to kill as many Minnesotan's as possible. Merging here is a sport.

If you work a standard 8-5, then for a good part of the worst part of winter, you'll be going to work when it's dark and coming home when it's dark.

Late January to mid-February can be miserable at times. There's a lot to do indoors, but still, it gets old after a while.

Summer in August can be as miserable as anywhere... Martha already mentioned this. 80's-90's with 40-60% humidity is pretty common.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:50 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
Ahh!! The good old days. It brings a tear to my eye.
I decided to leave out the part where after stepping in the slush hole you fall over backwards, soaking your long wool coat, your pants, and everything else from about the middle of your back on down.

Then you get to drive home in it. Because you know you're gonna get stopped by the cops for some BS item and you know they'll never buy a story about falling down in the slush as a reason for why you're driving around in january, naked from the waist down.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:05 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I decided to leave out the part where after stepping in the slush hole you fall over backwards, soaking your long wool coat, your pants, and everything else from about the middle of your back on down.

Then you get to drive home in it. Because you know you're gonna get stopped by the cops for some BS item and you know they'll never buy a story about falling down in the slush as a reason for why you're driving around in january, naked from the waist down.
This thread reminds me of how I felt when I moved from Boston to LA. My God, it was like I thought things had been copacetic in Boston, but suddenly I found a whole new definition of contentment.

Now I live farther north than any of these places we are talking about- but thanks to the Pacific Ocean it is a whole lot warmer than the rest of the North.

I was thinking the other morning, I've lived in a lot of places with a lot to recommend them. But the only US places I would even consider going back to are the LA beach cities, or Orange County (Huntington Beach). The rest of it I liked well enough while I was there, but the thought of returning is just depressing.

Ha
Old 07-25-2008, 09:44 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Interesting. We're relocating from Louisiana to Janesville, WI at the end of August. I've accepted a job in Janesville, which is about 40 miles south of Madison, as a QA guy in a manufacturing facility that does business with the government. I'm a federal employee, and will be there looking out for the interests of the govt. Never been to this part of the world before, and I know it's gonna be slightly different from Louisiana, especially in the winter. Any of you Wisconsin-ites know much about Janesville? I could possibly live closer to Madison and drive to the southeastern side of Janesville to work, but if Janesville is a decent place I'd prefer not to commute. Not ruling it out, though. We'll be holding up in a hotel for up to 60 days, or whatever it takes to locate our home. We'll definitely take our time scoping out the surrounding areas. Also, I'm planning to continue my military service by joining up with the Air National Guard unit that flies F-16's out of Madison. Anybody know anything about Janesville?
Janesvilles a nice quiet quaint town in Wisconsin. Their biggest claim to fame was having a large GM plant cranking out Suburbans, Tahoes, and Chevy pickumup trucks. However, GM is closing them down by 2010. There's very little crime, and it's a good place to raise a family. Madison is undoubtedly the nicest larger town in Wisconsin (250,000 people or so). You'll like Janesville if you like a less hectic lifestyle. Feel free to PM me if you want any more info about Wisconsin. I have lived here almost all my life..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:45 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And the newspaper delivery guy that everyone thought just ran off somewhere.

Every bone I've broken except for one was the result of slipping on ice in a driveway or on a sidewalk in MA.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote