Join Early Retirement Today
Old 01-24-2011, 11:19 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Is it wrong that when I answer the phone and it's either that momentary dead silence or a telemarketer and I'm feeling a little cranky that I immediately put the phone on speaker and mute and enjoy their discomfort as they either keep up the pitch or just keep repeating our name?

We only get calls from overseas for pharmacy products (go figure). Being on the do-not-call list is very effective otherwise.
My sister, has a phobia of telemarketers and she screens most of her incomming calls with her answering machine. When she does pick and senses a delay she immediately hangs up. So much for calling her on Skype (Delay reference )

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2011, 11:44 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
Yeah, its not exactly a telemarketer call but my Thai cell provider has started sending me "promotion" offers, so maybe it's tele creep, as in a foot in the door
OHH, I get those too.... but at least they do not cost me anything (I am a pay as you go phone, so just answering cost me )

Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:00 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I once heard that when you get a call with some dead air and no speaker on the other end of the line (meaning that it is a computer calling you to figure out when there is a good time for the actual telemarketer to call you another day or night), you should hit some combination of the # and * keys to "confuse" the computer into thinking there is something wrong with the line so it will tell the telemarketers not to try to call you. Is this some not-so-old wives tale or does it actually work?

I have tried it few times over the years but can't really be sure if it works (can't measure a negative).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:08 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
........... Is this some not-so-old wives tale or does it actually work?............

Oh definitely. And if you punch in "666" it will send a 10,000 volt surge into their computer, totally destroying it.
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:49 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...
I blame the telemarketers for global warming, the housing meltdown, and my cat's hairballs.

I purr therefore I am.
Purron is offline   Reply With Quote