Join Early Retirement Today

Reviews please—Self-Scooping Cat Boxes
Old 11-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Reviews please—Self-Scooping Cat Boxes

Does anyone here have an automatic litter box? I'm thinking of buying the Litter Robot. It's expensive, but made in USA (unlike some other well-known brands that are stocked at my local pet supply store). If you have one, how do your cats like it, and how do you like it? What should I know about it before buying?
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2009, 10:22 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I really wanted it to work. We had two of them (4 cats). One of my cats would not go in it at all. The other 3 cats did. However, both of them broke after awhile. They were under warranty and could have been shipped back but they are huge and very expensive to ship. I did like the concept though and it has been about 4 years so they may have improved them.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:05 AM   #3

Hi Katsmeow, was that the Litter Robot or one of the other brands?
Old 11-08-2009, 01:12 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Litter Robot but it had to have been no later than 2004, probably 2003 so don't know how the models have changed since then
Old 11-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #5

We use a LitterMaid. Seems to work well. Have had as many as three cats and it did fine. The first one lasted six years. The second one is six years old now.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I have a friend with one, which they like a lot. When the box goes through its scoop routine one of their cats always runs over to watch.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
We use a LitterMaid. Seems to work well. Have had as many as three cats and it did fine. The first one lasted six years. The second one is six years old now.
One cat but he can piss up a storm creating large clumps making the Litter Maid I bought at WalMart jam.

Went back to manual.

heh heh heh - plus it made a lot of noise when cycling.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I had a littler robot about 5 years ago, but at the time, I had two cats - one cat with renal failure so way too much pee for it. The other cat was fat - barely fit through the whole.

I gave it to someone who had just one smallish adult cat.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:58 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Although I realize some of this sound a bit discouraging I will probably try one of these again (not sure which brand). The thing is that when it works it really is great so if your cat will use one and it functions properly then it is so worth the money. If it doesn't work for your cat, then so be it, but on the chance that it will I would try it.

The litter robot when we used it was huge. The pictures don't do it justice. Theoretically because it is enclosed you don't get smell and there is no litter outside of it. (In practice, litter still sticks to their paws so they still track some of it out). The litter maid is probably less likely to spook the cat. I don't know which one actually works better though.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:18 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a link with photos of cats inside, they look like they are wearing space suits. The one-star reviews are informative, the device is too tall to fit under a standard sink and requires a lot of space so I'll stick with putting two standard litter boxes under the sink, giving "Fluffy" a choice. Hope the neighbor cats don't tell her about it.

Amazon.com: Litter Robot LRII Automatic Self-Cleaning Litter Box, Beige: Kitchen & Dining
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41HCzmopvCL._SL500_AA280_.jpg (9.4 KB, 54 views)
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Here's a link with photos of cats inside, they look like they are wearing space suits. The one-star reviews are informative, the device is too tall to fit under a standard sink and requires a lot of space so I'll stick with putting two standard litter boxes under the sink, giving "Fluffy" a choice. Hope the neighbor cats don't tell her about it.

Amazon.com: Litter Robot LRII Automatic Self-Cleaning Litter Box, Beige: Kitchen & Dining
Thanks for the link. I read all 18 pages of the reviews, and they seem to run pretty heavily on the positive side, with many glowing "how did I live without it". I will have to check if where I was planning to put it is actually large enough.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:03 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I'd like to hear your thoughts on it if you get one--I've toyed with the idea but think my grown cats would be opposed to a change. Mine are indoor/outdoor, so at least I have a chance that all but the darned tortishelle will not actually come back in the house to take a pee!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:33 PM   #13

Before we got the LitterMaid we had a litter box inside a cabinet base in the garage. The cats accessed the litter box through a kitty door in the wall between the utility room and the cabinet base in the garage. This allowed "servicing" of the litter box from the garage.

The LitterMaid is in the house. As I recall we just showed them where it was and they instantly knew what it was for.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have gone back to the low tech method of litter disposal. The Littermaids work great in the beginning but die after a while because of the litter clogging the tracks and the motor. It is also not easy to keep the device clean. They are just too expensive to keep replacing.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:00 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Cattus, that is how I felt about my beloved Roomba. Same problem keeping the hair out of the wheels. I loved it, but in the end when it died, I did not replace it.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote