Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-17-2017, 01:53 PM   #41

Maybe we'd be better off reverting to a more established scientific paradigm.
Quote:
Phrenology is a process that involves observing and/or feeling the skull to determine an individual's psychological attributes. Franz Joseph Gall believed that the brain was made up of 27 individual organs that determined personality, the first 19 of these 'organs' he believed to exist in other animal species. Phrenologists would run their fingertips and palms over the skulls of their patients to feel for enlargements or indentations.
Gall's list of the "brain organs" was specific. An enlarged organ meant that the patient used that particular "organ" extensively.
PhrenologyPix.jpg
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2017, 02:03 PM   #42
Gone but not forgotten

Seems like the general opinion here is that the personality analysis is worthless.
Will have to try some of the alternate suggestions.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:37 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Since INTJs are found on this board at a rate roughly 10x the general population, I'd say at minimum there's a meaningful connection with FIRE.

I've taken the test at least five times the first time 30 years ago in a corporate setting. It's always comeback INTJ. Not only is the INTJ rate much higher on this board, but it was much higher on one of the predecessors to this forum, retire early FIRE forum on the Motley Fool. I'm also pretty sure it is more prevalent on the Mr. Mustache forum also.

So the psychologist can roll their eyes all they want, if you are INTJ you are a good candidate to both have the necessary long-term planning skills and self-sacrifice to achieve FIRE. Even more importantly, you'll be content enough to enjoy it and not get bored.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:59 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

I wonder how Myers-Briggs compares to the "are you a square/circle/triangle/squiggle" personality test that I have seen several Megacorps start to use.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:10 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

First took a MB test at my first employer then again about 20 yrs later at mega corp. Was INFP the first time (no dash anything was provided either time) and INTP the second time. INFP-A today. Always thought the P part was why i never had much respect for the decision making of upper mgmt (all INTJ) especially as regards personnel assignment. Anyway, to the OP's original musing mine does not seem to change much over a span of 40 yrs. (was always borderline 60/40) between thinking and feeling.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:33 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
I once worked at a fast-growing startup software company that had just completed a round of Myers-Briggs tests "for fun" on everyone.

Folks were talking about their personality types. Some were actually wondering if they should change departments because they were outliers in their current groups.

I was appalled and asked if we were going to bring in a phrenologist next.

The company went quickly downhill a few years later. I'm sure some Tarot cards or palm readings could have predicted it, but weren't consulted for some reason.

(Whenever I'm asked, I'm tempted to reply that my personality type is STFU.)

[emoji23] Love your post. STFU - too funny!!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:07 AM   #47
Gone but not forgotten

Way back at the start of this thread I got involved in a discussion in Quora and ever since, have received updates on the subject of INTJ's.

Thought you might enjoy this comment from one of the posters on the Quora site.

Quote:
Which MBTI type or types is hardest to get to know and why?

INTJ. There is no other possible answer.

They are lost in their own heads, furthering their own agendas, and doing their own thing. Alone. Intentionally. They don't want to be distracted. They typically don't need anybody for anything. Unless you are a workplace that offers something enticing to occupy their ravenous minds, they can not be distracted.

In spite of how dismissive that may sound, there is an underlying gem. The mental frenzy is not a selfish pursuit. Their goal is to continual improvement of everything imaginable, and they are doing it for tthe greater good of humanity.

The INTJ does not offer the slightest crack, weakness, or vulnerability for anybody to use as a means to infiltrate their concrete shell exterior. You will know nothing about them and have nothing to use as leverage.

If you can conjure something amazing and get any opportunity to penetrate that barrier.. there is a chance they will drop everything and make your happiness their plan, their goal, their priority. They will devise a way to put the universe (everything you have ever dreamed of) in the palm of your hands.. But, only if they deem you worthy.

And, to make matters worse, that offer only lasts for as long as you can continue to exhaust yourself by keeping them interested. If they don't see continual improvement, their priorities will be updated to rectify the inefficiency. They will go right back to doing their own thing leaving you to wonder if they even recognize you anymore.

Pretty tough to deal with, right? Impossible.

That was me from age 15-35. Lots of lessons learned along the way. Lots of soul searching. INTJs eventually outgrow that dreaded personality specific Insufferable Bastard Syndrome and tone down their eccentric nature.

Well, the smart ones do.

from an ENFP -A
Old 12-30-2017, 07:34 AM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Since I have retired, I believe my personality type has changed some. Less stress now and doing what I really enjoy with like minds has made me more outgoing and sociable. In Imoldernu's original post, I do think there are personality changes in life.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:00 AM   #49

Interesting description of INTJ. Not one I've seen before. Back when Myers Briggs classes were all the rage at my mega corp, it turned out virtually all senior, and many middle, managers were INTJ. Seemed they were uncomfortable promoting mentoring any other types. With this description, no wonder so many of us, especially the tech types such as myself were so very dissatisfied and frustrated with both mgmt style and personality. Glad that is all behind me. Although, even in other orgs such as churches and charitable entities, there seem to be quite a few INTJ in leadership roles.......hm
Old 12-30-2017, 11:51 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadogmamacat View Post
Interesting description of INTJ. Not one I've seen before. Back when Myers Briggs classes were all the rage at my mega corp, it turned out virtually all senior, and many middle, managers were INTJ. Seemed they were uncomfortable promoting mentoring any other types. With this description, no wonder so many of us, especially the tech types such as myself were so very dissatisfied and frustrated with both mgmt style and personality. Glad that is all behind me. Although, even in other orgs such as churches and charitable entities, there seem to be quite a few INTJ in leadership roles.......hm
INTJs managing INTJs - I always thought of the phrase the blind leading the blind. I tried really hard when I was a manager to overcome my inherent INTJ personality type and take Dale Carnegie type classes and have people like working for me. It paid off - they had a consulting company come in and do reverse performance reviews. As far as I could tell I scored the best. But it was a hollow victory - I don't think it helped my career long term to outscore my boss and her bosses up the line. And upper management solved the problem of their own abysmal scores by ignoring the results and never making the mistake of having the reverse performance reviews happen again.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:31 PM   #51

I remember those reverse performance reviews also Think they had some acronym for them that has faded from my memory They did not last long at my mega corp either. Less than a year before they were out of vogue. And for the same reason.
Just stray thought as i do keep in contact with a few still working there: there are a lot more independent contractors being hired and the relatively young and inexperienced are leaving at an even more rapid rate than the already fast pace i recall. So, in another generation, say 15 to 25 yrs, maybe less, will there be only contractors and to the extent feasible, robots of various types and complexities? In that environment, perhaps INTJ's are the best for leadership anyway.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:48 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadogmamacat View Post
So, in another generation, say 15 to 25 yrs, maybe less, will there be only contractors and to the extent feasible, robots of various types and complexities? In that environment, perhaps INTJ's are the best for leadership anyway.
There were mostly contractors at my last job initially. Most the smart people went into contracting and got paid by the hour, which was my goal. I took a full-time job so to make it easier to get a mortgage than being self employed. My promotion into management discussion went like this:

Me: I don't really want to be a manager.
Megacorp: You have to - we don't have anyone else.

They were really growing at the time and didn't want contractors managing contractors and I had to pay my mortgage so I didn't have a lot of choice, but I did leave eventually and go into 1099 kind of work, made more per hour and was a lot happier.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote