Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Sounds to me like the kind of things that happen to cars parked in certain parking lots, while the driver is not present. I always tried to park as far from my office as possible to minimize the scratches and dings.

Yes...that is a possibility as she does admit hitting the truck hitch....

I did not believe her when she said her old car would just accelerate on its own... until I got in it and it happened to me... and it went up to 70 mph without me touching the gas... she bought a new car the same day...

And that is the rub... IS she at a point where she should not drive I do not know. She seems to be aware of traffic etc. so I can not say she is a danger... and she has passed the test the state gives.... the next one comes up in Oct... we will see if she passes...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Me too.

Those rubber bumpers are a nice feature for my future driving.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent

Those rubber bumpers are a nice feature for my future driving.
If the self driving cars continue to develop as they have been lately I may be lucky enough to not have the problem myself.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:55 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52andout View Post
I was reading in NY state you can anonymously contact the DMV and they decide if they call someone in to be retested.
Heck, I'd call in the license plates of half a dozen drivers that I see just going home from town.

But maybe that's what they're doing behind the wheel-- texting the license plate numbers of the unsafe drivers to the DMV.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:10 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

So far my 88 yr old FIL seems to be doing ok - max speed 45 mph, no night driving, only to his girlfriends house and to the grocery store, all on back roads. Any longer or more complicated trips we drive him. It helps he lives next door to us.

Also, suspicious dents and scratches on the rear quarter panel can be caused by the baseball bat bouncing back against the car after hitting the mail box from the back seat window.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #46

Update on this. His driver's test is tomorrow, and no one (except perhaps FIL) thinks he's going to pass it. The thing that grates is that as far as I can tell he's not even thinking about what to do next if he can't drive!

So this will hopefully force him to confront the reality that he cannot stay where he is. In the longer run it may be a good thing as he's been pretty isolated as it is and if he moves to a continuous-care facility he'll be around a lot more people.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Update on this. His driver's test is tomorrow, and no one (except perhaps FIL) thinks he's going to pass it. The thing that grates is that as far as I can tell he's not even thinking about what to do next if he can't drive!

So this will hopefully force him to confront the reality that he cannot stay where he is. In the longer run it may be a good thing as he's been pretty isolated as it is and if he moves to a continuous-care facility he'll be around a lot more people.
Let's hope that he gets a tester that will do their job...

Since we have confronted our mother, she has at least started to think about a plan B... she still thinks she can drive OK, and passed the driver test a little over a year ago, but knows that it comes up every two years...

Since we are not fixing her car, at least the tester will see the dent in the fender...
Old 04-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Not yet but will have to sometime in the future. Dad's eysight is getting worse, but he is clearly not ready to let go of the independence. He does use the golf cart for most errands now, but he still drives the car a couple of times a week.

I feel for you and wish you luck with this.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #49

To everyone's complete astonishment he passed! Barely, but he passed.

So the chips will fall where they may. I can say I did what I thought was right but I'm going to stop
Old 04-20-2012, 08:09 AM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

So the chips fenders, bumpers and broken headlights will fall where they may.
FIFY.

Scary.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

So the chips will fall where they may. I can say I did what I thought was right but I'm going to stop

Well, now you do not have much grounds to stand on.... he can pull the 'I passed the test' card....

I agree with you ... stop...

Just hope that when something happens, someone is not killed or hurt badly...
Old 04-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #52
Administrator

Quote:

Great! You did the right thing, but apparently the state thinks he is OK to drive.

Still, obviously you have seen some deterioration in his driving skills, even though he can still pass the very minimal test conducted by the state. Even though his driving wasn't quite bad enough to yank his driver's license, were I you I'd still keep an eye on him when possible, and continue talking to him about alternatives.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote