Join Early Retirement Today

RFID Theft Concerns and Prevention.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:11 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

RFID Theft Concerns and Prevention.

Just curious what the crowd thinks about RFID theft. Saw this pop up on Amazon today and since DW has been suggesting I need a new wallet, thought I might just try one of these things out. I know of one person, a lady who was ripped off (RFID theft) out in Vegas awhile back.

What say you oh wise denizens of the ERF ?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2KDS4GLUM0J1B
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2016, 05:48 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A piece of aluminium foil the size of a dollar bill kept in the folding wallet should take care of snoopers. Some walletts have a liner which can hide the foil.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:54 PM   #3

My DH and DS have RFID protected wallets. I have sleeves that fit around each chip card. We have RFID sleeves for our passports.

AAA has all these products. Worth it IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Just curious what the crowd thinks about RFID theft. Saw this pop up on Amazon today and since DW has been suggesting I need a new wallet, thought I might just try one of these things out. I know of one person, a lady who was ripped off (RFID theft) out in Vegas awhile back.

What say you oh wise denizens of the ERF ?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2KDS4GLUM0J1B
Read the Amazon review from the guy who holds his wallet up everyday to get into his lab and it has no problem reading his ID (Aug 27, 2015).
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:49 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Here's a decent article on the subject.

Card shields protect against low risk of RFID theft
Old 07-24-2016, 07:49 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I don't worry about this.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:37 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

You're probably confusing your chip-and-signature or chip-and-pin card with an RFID card. Chipped cards that have to be inserted into a reader to work are not RFID-capable. RFID cards would be cards you could just bring near the reader without inserting or swiping the stripe. The only RFID card I've ever had is the access card for my workplace.
niven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:02 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by niven View Post
You're probably confusing your chip-and-signature or chip-and-pin card with an RFID card. Chipped cards that have to be inserted into a reader to work are not RFID-capable. RFID cards would be cards you could just bring near the reader without inserting or swiping the stripe. The only RFID card I've ever had is the access card for my workplace.
That would be any of the "tap and pay" type cards. If all you've got is magnetic strip/chip reader cards, no need for the RFID blocker. And if you have one of the tap and pay cards, still no need, IMHO. Getting your CC info stolen the good old fashioned way (hack the server) is much much more likely.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:13 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
That would be any of the "tap and pay" type cards. If all you've got is magnetic strip/chip reader cards, no need for the RFID blocker. And if you have one of the tap and pay cards, still no need, IMHO. Getting your CC info stolen the good old fashioned way (hack the server) is much much more likely.
Right, thanks, I didn't remember the "tap and pay" name. I think in the US at least, "tap and pay" is mostly being used with people's smartphones, although cards are available. Your card would have the contactless symbol on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg contactless.jpg (2.2 KB, 92 views)
niven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:01 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

The Citi Costco card and my passport and global entry cards are the only RFID things I own.

I haven't worried about it too much although I'm more inclined to protect my passport. The Global Entry card was sent with an RFID shield sleeve to keep it in.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:02 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I read once you can stick your RFID card into the microwave for 10 seconds to fry the circuits.
Probably cannot do this anymore with ones that have chips as well.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:03 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Problem I see with these wallets is how do you know it works ?
How can you test it so you can return it if it fails, or be happy with the tinfoil solution ?
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:44 AM   #13

FWIW, the last time I was in an REI store they had a staggering array of wallets, card sleeves, passport wrappers, etc., etc. with RFID protection.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-25-2016, 09:59 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
Read the Amazon review from the guy who holds his wallet up everyday to get into his lab and it has no problem reading his ID (Aug 27, 2015).
^This.

I w*rked with a dude who was all about the latest and greatest technology. He came in one day with one of these "blocking wallets" that he paid about $70 for. I took my flightline badge, stuck it in there and went to access the flightline. I didn't even have to put the thing outside my car window to open the gate.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:00 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

what is rfid?

if it's something that can steal my credit card info I'm not too concerned - after I had my ID stolen in 2014 those kind of things don't bother that much
Old 07-25-2016, 10:02 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
what is rfid?

if it's something that can steal my credit card info I'm not too concerned - after I had my ID stolen in 2014 those kind of things don't bother that much
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio-...identification

In the case of a credit card, it would be the touch-pay system.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:08 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
^This.

I w*rked with a dude who was all about the latest and greatest technology. He came in one day with one of these "blocking wallets" that he paid about $70 for. I took my flightline badge, stuck it in there and went to access the flightline. I didn't even have to put the thing outside my car window to open the gate.
+ 2, double this.

I have a supposed RFID blocking wallet. I didn't get it for that feature, it just has it. I put my Megacorp badge in it as a test. Fail. The reader had no problem letting me in.

As someone else mentioned, the real problem isn't RFID, the problem is server hacking.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote