Join Early Retirement Today

Rhubarb coming along nicely
Old 05-17-2019, 02:55 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rhubarb coming along nicely

It's is a rainy/snowy/cold next few days and can't go fishing to muddy to get in there, so decided to harvest some rhubarb and cut/bag/freeze for winter. Last winter I made a few wide bladed knifes and they work very well for the slice/dice of veggies and such.

Anyone a rhubarb fan? So, many recipes for rhubarb and we are going to try rhubarb beard. Lol Interesting!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2346.jpg (98.2 KB, 37 views)
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2019, 04:26 PM   #2
Administrator

We have a nice rhubarb plant in the garden. It started to flower this week and I cut the flower stalk off to encourage leaf growth. I think I'll cut some this weekend and try to make rhubarb sherbet.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:28 PM   #3

I remember visiting a friend many years ago and we went to see his uncle who made rhubarb wine. It was surprisingly good.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:01 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My rhubarb plant is already full grown. I've got enough for a pie already.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:02 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I haven't had rhubarb pie since I was a kid. One of those acquired tastes.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:58 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
It's is a rainy/snowy/cold next few days and can't go fishing to muddy to get in there, so decided to harvest some rhubarb and cut/bag/freeze for winter. Last winter I made a few wide bladed knifes and they work very well for the slice/dice of veggies and such.

Anyone a rhubarb fan? So, many recipes for rhubarb and we are going to try rhubarb beard. Lol Interesting!
Forgot to mention earlier - that's a really nice knife, street.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:04 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I never had rhubarb until recently, although for a long time I meant to try it.

Then, in my Alaskan RV trip last year, we ran across some huge and beautiful rhubarb plants by the side of the road. They looked good enough to eat, and so we tried.

Not knowing how to cook with it, we decided to make a fish soup. It came as a surprise to us that it had a sour taste, because I kept reading about it being used in a pie, and weren't pies supposed to be sweet?

We did not throw the soup away and ate it. But I have not tried rhubarb again.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:22 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I am laughing at the idea of fish soup. I am glad you tried it before me!!!

But I love rhubarb. We live in Edmonton and actually had snow last week. All gone now. Our lawn is full of dandelions!!! So I dug some out of the flowerbeds and my husband and I mowed the lawn to catch them before they seed.

As I was mowing I noticed our rhubarb just starting to shake off the winter blues and start sprouting. I think in next week it will be high enough to harvest.

I love rhubarb in a nice square recipe my best friend gave me. I also make it into muffins with a nice cinnamon sugar strusel.

Yes, it is a bit sour if you eat it plain...but like lemons...there are a million wonderful recipes where a nice tang is desired.

Happy baking...and yes....you have a great knife.

Here is a recipe for muffins
https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/c...hubarb-muffins

And here is the recipe for my friend's rhubarb squares...one of the nicest ways to eat rhubarb.

Rhubarb Squares with Strawberries and cream cheese
Sharon Hart, (June, 2016)
Bottom:
2 cups flour
1/2 cup chilled butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder slightly heaping
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Mix flour, sugar, salt and baking powder together. (I usually sift mine together) Add butter, and cut into flour mixture just like for pie crust. Remove 1 to 1¼ cups of flour mixture and set aside for the topping. Add in beaten egg to the remaining flour mixture and mix with a fork until mixture is moistened. Pat into the bottom of a lightly greased 9X13 pan.

Cheese layer:
Bring 1, 4 oz. block of cream cheese to room temp. I use about 5 - 6 oz. Cut cheese into thin strips and layer across the base. Using a tablespoon that has been dipped in very hot water spread the cheese out evenly across the base (you will need to heat it several times). You can also try softening the cheese in the microwave for a few seconds to soften to make it easily spreadable but the spoon in hot water works best for me.

Filling:
4 cups rhubarb chopped fairly small. I also add enough strawberries cut small to make 5 cups of fruit. I use my 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup and fill it to the top
1 1/2 c sugar from which you remove 1 good Tbsp sugar to use on topping. I use a bit less sugar in the fruit.
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla
Mix together the flour and sugar. Add to it the beaten egg, butter and vanilla. Mix well. Add in fruit and mix till coated. Spread over cheese base.

Topping,
1/2 -3/4 tsp cinnamon to add as topping which you mix together with the reserved sugar.
Spread the remaining flour mixture (that has no egg in it) over the fruit and then sprinkle the cinnamon /sugar mixture generously over the topping.

Bake in a 350 deg. oven for 50 – 60 min. (depending on your oven) Chill before serving.
spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:59 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Spirt >> Thanks for the recipes I copied and gave to wife, we are going to do the muffins tomorrow. Lol

NW-Bound >>> Now, I have not heard of rhubarb soup. You may have started something. Lol Good to hear from you.

As far the knife goes I made a few like that last winter when the weather was stormy. They really do work great for chopping/dicing.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:43 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Treasure trove of recipes here: https://www.rhubarb-central.com/

My rhubarb plant does great until the blast furnace heat in late June/July comes in. Strawberry rhubarb jam is a staple in our house.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:55 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

brewer12345 >>> jam is very good from rhubarb. Yes, I believe it is more of a spring time vegetable. You are totally right in July it isn't as good. I like to pick early and freeze some for winter.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:05 PM   #12

My grandmother would make rhubarb pie. Not sure the ratio, but a lot of sugar and strawberries. Not something I’d make for myself today, but if grandmother was here, I’d enjoy some. She also made some great no bake cookies, but that’s another thread.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:12 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

^ most recipes call for a lot of sugar. We use 1/3 of the sugar they call for and is just as good with less.
Crisp
Old 05-17-2019, 10:43 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Crisp

Oh...please don't forget this oldie but goodie. Rhubarb crisp with oatmeal and vanilla icecream. Such a nice treat and healthy too!!!! Ok...maybe not totally healthy but so good.
spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:17 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

We were not the first who stumbled on "Rhubarb Fish Soup".

A Google search with these 3 words came back with 8,730,000 hits. Omit the word fish, and it was 18,400,000 hits.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-18-2019, 01:54 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I harvested a few stalks from my rhubarb plant yesterday and I will be making a pie. My garden is at an altitude of 3,000' and it snowed there as late as May 4th this year.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:42 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

NW-Bound >>> that is interesting!

FIREd >>> it snowed here yesterday and last night. The rain has melted it over night but it sounds like some more today. Lol May 18th, and snow.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:17 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

People eat a lot more weird food, or rather dishes than one can imagine.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:21 AM   #19

Not a fan, was a thing when I was a kid in the UK.

Side note, in drama classes, (can't remember if this was US or UK) we were taught as a trick to mouth "rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb" when part of a crowd scene, or background folks, to look as if we were talking to one another naturally.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:26 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Ugh, just learned something about rhubarb. It contains very high level of calcium oxalate, of which the usual kidney stones are made.

Nope. That Alaskan rhubarb is definitely the first and also last time for me.