Join Early Retirement Today

Easy Brown Rice cooking
Old 12-21-2011, 09:39 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Easy Brown Rice cooking

This is the easiest method I've found. I've used it a couple times and it worked great. Essentially, boil the rice in a LARGE amount of water (proportions not critical at all) until just done (~ 30 minutes), drain, return to pan off the heat to steam for 10 minutes and you are all set.

Nothing critical at all with the water amount, so it takes all that guesswork and adjustments out of the picture. I've used much less water, and it was fine. And no special equipment.

I need to try this with white rice.

Perfect Brown Rice Recipe - Saveur.com

Quote:
Cooking brown rice, or at least cooking it well, is tricky. The goal is to soften the texture of each grain's fibrous bran coating―a process that takes longer than that called for in the cooking of white rice―without causing the rice to become mushy. Unfortunately, the labels on most packaged brown rice recommend an ineffective method that suggests boiling water and rice in a two-to-one ratio, then allowing the mixture to simmer for 40 minutes or more, until all the liquid is absorbed. We followed those directions and ended up throwing away more than a few pots of unsatisfying rice. What we ultimately found is that brown rice looks and tastes the best when it has been boiled and drained like pasta and then steamed in the small amount of moisture that remains in the pot. The boiling cooks the rice, while the subsequent steaming allows the grains to retain their integrity and come out light and fluffy.

1 cup short, medium, or long-grain brown rice
Kosher salt, to taste

1. Rinse rice in a strainer under cold running water for 30 seconds. Bring 12 cups water to a boil in a large pot with a tight-fitting lid over high heat. Add the rice, stir it once, and boil, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Pour the rice into a strainer over the sink.
2. Let the rice drain for 10 seconds, then return it to the pot, off the heat. Cover the pot and set it aside to allow the rice to steam for 10 minutes. Uncover the rice, fluff with a fork, and season with salt.

MAKES 2 CUPS
ERD50 note FEB2011 - this turned out great. I added sauteed mushrooms, scallions, and toasted pecans, but the rice itself was fine by itself. Nicely done and nutty tasting.

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Cooking brown rice, or at least cooking it well, is tricky.
Ah, but cooking it perfectly is easy. Just throw it in my rice cooker along with water up to the line, and go watch TV.

Honestly, I never had brown rice that was as tender and delicious before.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:20 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
This is the easiest method I've found. I've used it a couple times and it worked great. Essentially, boil the rice in a LARGE amount of water (proportions not critical at all) until just done (~ 30 minutes), drain, return to pan off the heat to steam for 10 minutes and you are all set.
Don't drain it! You're going to pour the nutrient down to the drain if you do. That is a big no no. Texture is one thing, so is nutrition. Brown rice is not difficult to cook at all using the regular rice cooker. I usually soak it in water for a couple of hours (4-8) beforehand. The water height ratio between well soaked brown rice and water in rice cooker would be around 1 : 1-1.5, which is very easy to eyeball using index finger.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:00 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratto View Post
Don't drain it! You're going to pour the nutrient down to the drain if you do. That is a big no no. Texture is one thing, so is nutrition. Brown rice is not difficult to cook at all using the regular rice cooker. I usually soak it in water for a couple of hours (4-8) beforehand. The water height ratio between well soaked brown rice and water in rice cooker would be around 1 : 1-1.5, which is very easy to eyeball using index finger.
According to one of the posts there (and I can't vouch for it's accuracy), the remaining husk of the brown rice tends to retain nutrients better, so draining does not result in much lost nutrition. Also something about the germ retaining the oils and the nutrients are bound up in the oils rather than drained away?

At any rate, we don't eat white or brown rice all that often (maybe 2-3 time a month?). The loss of nutrients would have a near zero effect on our total nutrient intake. Which is also why we don't have a rice cooker (we did have one, it worked well, but we didn't replace it after it broke). I don't care to take up that much cupboard space with something that we would use so seldom, when we have reasonable ways to cook it with general purpose cookware. Just a personal preference, the rice cookers certainly make good sense for others.

Cooking brown rice, or at least cooking it well, is tricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Ah, but cooking it perfectly is easy. Just throw it in my rice cooker along with water up to the line, and go watch TV.

I went back and edited my post, I forgot to use the quote tags. May not be important, but just to be clear it was Saveur.com saying that about cooking brown rice, not me.

-ERD50
Old 12-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
According to one of the posts there (and I can't vouch for it's accuracy), the remaining husk of the brown rice tends to retain nutrients better, so draining does not result in much lost nutrition. Also something about the germ retaining the oils and the nutrients are bound up in the oils rather than drained away?
One thing I do notice is that brown rice does not puff up as much as the white ones after being well soaked, so its retaining husk does function pretty well.

I have never tried pressure cooker for rice in my adult life. I still have vivid memory about a pressure cooker explosion when I was a bambino. I think some type of sticky rice used by my grandma gave too much foam which subsequently blocked pressure release. The safety valve was probably too old and didn't open in time either. It was a quite experience and mess afterwards. That's why I was initially a little bit uneasy when I first started canning by using a pressure canner.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
I went back and edited my post, I forgot to use the quote tags. May not be important, but just to be clear it was Saveur.com saying that about cooking brown rice, not me.
Oh!! I completely misunderstood. Thanks. That's much clearer now.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I also don't have any trouble getting brown rice cooked right in our rice cooker/steamer. But I tend to cook it much longer than it is supposed to take and I use a little less water than suggested.

I have also noticed that Chipotle Mexican Grill has started offering brown rice and when I get it, it is pretty awful because it is not cooked right.

I am not sure of the chemistry/physics but I wonder if brown rice is much more sensitive to storage conditions, altitude, or something similar. I can't imagine that Chipotle did not test their cooking recipe thoroughly at some central test kitchen. But whatever they are doing in the restaurants near me is not working! Their white rice though is always perfect. Anyway, maybe that could explain why your cooker is not doing it right.

Why not just experiment yourself until you find the combination of rice, water, cooking time, and holding time that works for you?
Old 12-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

brown rice will go bad quicker (rancid), making it into white rice makes it much more shelf stable.

I love my rice cooker, especially that I have one of the really fancy ones with teflon coating, and a timer. The teflon makes it super easy to clean. I can set it at night and have fresh hot rice in the morning, or set it so I have rice cooked when I get home.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Same here! Except that I use standard measuring cups to measure the rice and water.

Audrey
Old 12-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Same here! Except that I use standard measuring cups to measure the rice and water.

Audrey
Aren't good rice cookers great? I keep the non-standard rice cooker measuring cup that came with it out and on top of my microwave, though it would be just as easy using a standard measuring cup. Using the non-standard cup I dip out a half cup of rice, dump it in, then water up to the line (the same as a full cup using that cup, for white rice). Dump! Dump! Push the button! and I'm done and zooming off to watch my show.

- - H. Melville, 1851