Join Early Retirement Today
Rice Rations
Old 04-25-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado
Rice Rations

WTF is going on, this is just getting out of control, I could just imagine what is next....looks like sushi prices are going to go through the roof just like pizza and bread did after wheat jumped.....

Wednesday, Apr. 23 2008
Wal-Mart Rations Rice, Warns of "Supply and Demand" Concerns

Wal-Mart, the worlds largest retailer, said on Wednesday that it would ration the amount of rice each customer can purchase because of recent supply and demand trends.

We are limiting the sale of Jasmine, Basmati and Long Grain White Rices to four bags per member visit, the company said in a statement. This is effective immediately in all of our U.S. clubs, where quantity restrictions are allowed by law.

Wal-Mart (WMT: 57.15, +0.60, +1.06%) is the first major grocer to limit the purchasing of a commodity because of the recent run up in prices. The company said it is not limiting the purchase of other basic food products like flour or oil.

The price of rice, which is the primary foodstuff for the majority of the human population around the world, rose to $894 a metric ton according to the Thai Rice Exporters Association. Thats compared to the $327.25 a ton average price in the same month last year.

In Chicago, the price of export-quality rice rose to $24.745 per 100 pounds on Tuesday.

The run up in price in rice is primarily related to poor harvests and countries curbing exports. Thailand, Asias largest exporter of rice, said it may curb exports.

The World Food Program called the recent run up in prices of rice and other basic commodities a silent famine.

Wal-Mart did not say when the rationing would end, but it was working with our suppliers to address this matter to ensure we are in stock, and we are asking for our members' cooperation and patience.

godoftrading is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I'm not a moderator, and don't play one on TV, but "Forum Admin" is probably not the most pertinent place to be making posts about Apple or rice rationing.

Just a thought...

(Note by BSSC: Moved to off topic)

Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...
There is a very simple way for walmart to avoid rationing rice: raise the price.
"Neither my companion or I carry firearms on our persons. We depend on the goodwill of our fellow man and the forbearance of reptiles."

- English Bob
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
So people are trying to "time" their weddings until after the rice bubble bursts?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:30 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...
Rice is selling for $0.24 per pound (dry uncooked weight) on the CBOT. 1 lb dry rice = ~3 lb cooked rice (or 8 cents of rice per pound). How much rice is in a sushi roll? 1 pound maybe? So the rice input that used to cost $0.03 is now $0.08, and you are crying because your sushi roll just went up in price by $0.05?!?

Now to be fair, you are buying sushi, so the sushi restaurant will undoubtedly put up a heartfelt sign explaining that rice is now 200% more expensive than it used to be and as a result, all sushi rolls are $2 more expensive.
FUEGO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:07 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
So people are trying to "time" their weddings until after the rice bubble bursts?
I think now Bird Seed will be come the choice at weddings if this gets out of hand.

Vietnam Veteran, CW4 USA, Retired 1979
OAG is offline   Reply With Quote