Join Early Retirement Today

Rich people really are different
Old 09-11-2009, 07:55 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rich people really are different

They buy stuff like this:
BBC NEWS | In Pictures | Day in pictures

It looks like something from Pier 1, and it isn't even very old. $5.4 million?
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2009, 07:58 AM   #2

Guess you wouldn't throw loose change in it.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Wow! Absolutely perfect, not a silly millimeter of crazing on it.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I like the cheaper (probably Pier One) version of it much, much better. I have had one and was able to actually USE it without worrying about dropping and breaking it.

It is very pretty and a convenient, useful size. What's the point of having a pretty bowl if you can't even pick it up and use it without fear? In other words, this bowl is beautiful but the $0.59 version is also beautiful (especially to the nearsighted like me) and has the extra bonus of actually being useful and something you dare to pick up, examine, and appreciate.

Upper photo: their $5,400,000.00 bowl. Lower photo: my $5.00 bowl. I think mine is prettier. Nearsightedness has its advantages.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bowl.jpg (68.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg bowl_sm.jpg (25.8 KB, 183 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I put some strawberry slices and white wine in mine, covered it with plastic wrap, poked a few holes in it, and used it as a fruit fly trap. Worked great. Worth every penny of the $5.4M I paid for it. Or maybe it was $1. I forget.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I put some strawberry slices and white wine in mine, covered it with plastic wrap, poked a few holes in it, and used it as a fruit fly trap. Worked great. Worth every penny of the $5.4M I paid for it. Or maybe it was $1. I forget.
How do the flies get trapped? They get stuck or what? I´m serious.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:20 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

That used to be my cat's waterbowl until I noticed the markings on the bottom.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I did a search for antique Chinese bowl auction to see what is so special about that bowl and can't find any information about this other than the BBC site with the photo.

Wouldn't it be great to see it on Antiques Roadshow and have it exposed as a fraud after the auction--perhaps the markings say "Stolen from Confucius" or "Not made in China"?
Old 09-11-2009, 02:07 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
How do the flies get trapped? They get stuck or what? I´m serious.
It's pretty cool. I put the plastic wrap on really tight, and poke holes in it with a fork. Just big enough for the flies to get through. It works like a crab pot, they can't find their way back out. I suspect the occasional lucky or genius fly escapes, but this summer when we had a couple of major infestations we caught scores of them. When it starts getting nasty looking I just run water in through the holes, swirl it around to catch the still mobile ones, then down the garbage disposal. Then refill and reuse. Works like a champ. Kept the fruit fly population down significantly.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:24 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

A little plastic tubing, some plumbing hardware, and voila, a water pipe...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:33 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

This may not be a comp. but was an impulse buy in 2006 at a record HK 151.3m; so could we conclude that the market has actually cooled all the way down to HK 42m for OP’s blue and white bowl, times are tough?:

At just 11cm across, Chinese bowl is a £10m record breaker | World news | The Guardian
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:08 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

The important difference between really rich people and everyone else is that they CAN use the horribly expensive version without worry.

If I break something that is worth $100 it is an "oh ****"" moment. If a really REALLY rich person breaks something worth $5,000,000 it is an "oh well, time to look for another one" moment.

cheers,
Michael
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:22 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Isn't it interesting that Americans are gawking at how lavishly Asians are spending their money? A century ago, it would have been the opposite. Think of these people as the Rockefellers of the 21st century.

The times they are a changing....
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:47 PM   #14

Bumping my own thread again, but I can't resist.

Paul Allen, cofounder of MicroSoft, is yachting.

Paul Allen: Media Banned From Port While Microsoft Founder Is Yachting (PHOTOS, POLL)
I don't begrudge him the 300 foot boat, complete with two heliports, but wait, this is his smaller, older boat. His spare yacht so to speak:
Quote:
Allen also owns the 416-foot Octopus.
Here 'tis.
Octopus.jpg
Wow.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:18 PM   #15

I once sold a very expensive bowl after I discovered how much it was worth ($6000.00). It was an RS Prussia display piece that I inherited from my parents. I was sitting in the Monterey(CA) Public Library periodicals section reading antiques journals while I waited for my son who was attending a children's program when I spied a photo in one of them of my bowl, recently sold at auction. It gave the name of the gallery, I contacted them, shipped off my bowl and they sold it in a specialized ceramics sale. I didn't want anything that valuable when we were making military moves. I put the money in our son's college fund. I felt my parents would approve. I am rather glad that I am not rich enough to be cavalier about owning a $6000.00 bowl that could get chipped or broken.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:14 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Isn't it interesting that Americans are gawking at how lavishly Asians are spending their money? A century ago, it would have been the opposite. Think of these people as the Rockefellers of the 21st century.

The times they are a changing....
Trust me, the Bestwifeever ancestors in the Appalachians and hardscrabble New England would have been gawking just as hard a century ago, too....
Old 09-22-2009, 08:54 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Saw this wee hut built into and around the rocks in Carefree Az a couple days ago. Then saw maybe 10 more in differing sytles of grandeur - spanning giant boulders and ravines, that sort of thing. Oh - killer views as well. All on one little road we happened to drive up. They were in the 7 million dollar range. Tasty. Better than the $60k three year old repo we saw in Buckeye.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:12 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

This is Deion Sander's 29,000 square ft. shanty. He lives about 30 minutes from my abode. He hasn't invited me over; however, I'm waiting on his call....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prosper2[1].jpg (18.1 KB, 57 views)