Richard Carlson dead at 45

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/news/local/16257994.htm

Richard Carlson, a Bay Area psychotherapist who became the world-famous writer of "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" and other motivational books stressing love, gratitude and kindness above all other values, collapsed and died Wednesday on a flight from San Francisco to New York.

Carlson, 45, was scheduled to make two TV appearances to promote his latest book, "Don't Get Scrooged: How to Thrive in a World Full of Obnoxious, Incompetent, Arrogant and Downright Mean-Spirited People."

A family spokesman said he apparently died of cardiac arrest.

" 'Don't Get Scrooged' was a book he'd been wanting to write for a long time," said Susan Miller, Carlson's executive assistant. "He felt like this one was really going to take off."

Carlson was a popular motivational speaker, stress consultant and media figure dubbed one of the world's foremost happiness experts. Associates on Friday recalled him as an unusually clear and giving teacher, listener and friend.

This type of story really worries me (for DH's sake). I wonder if he had any symptoms before he died.

Remember that test a lot of us took that said positive attitudes could had years to your life:confused: well, it didn't help him - and that is making me have a more negative attitude!

I read about his passing on SF Gate yesterday. 45 years old is too young to just drop dead! Hey, wait I'm almost 45 :eek:

shiny said:
This type of story really worries me (for DH's sake). I wonder if he had any symptoms before he died.

Remember that test a lot of us took that said positive attitudes could had years to your life:confused: well, it didn't help him - and that is making me have a more negative attitude!

Sudden death at that age is so tragic. Usually it's related to unrecognized coronary disease or congenital heart problems leading to an arrhythmia. Many victims have, in retrospect, either serious risk factors or a period of unreported (to their MD) symptoms preceding their demise (days or weeks of increasing heartburn, arm or neck pain).

You should know your risk profile and engage in appropriate but not excessive vigilance. You should always check out any symptom that is exertional. If you have diabetes or other strong coronary risks, there is a place for periodic stress tests (EKGs alone are usually of little value). For all of that, rarely it just happens. It is very sad.

What a bummer. I hope he was thriving and not stressed out with all the book-publicity stuff.

cube_rat said:
45 years old is too young to just drop dead! Hey, wait I'm almost 45 :eek:
I just turned 46. Does this mean I'm exempt now?

Nords said:
What a bummer. I hope he was thriving and not stressed out with all the book-publicity stuff.
I just turned 46. Does this mean I'm exempt now?

sorry, Nords...my old man dropped dead at 46. 'course he wasn't a motivational speaker. But neither are you. With the surfing and martial arts, I'm sure you're in better shape than he was.

I'll never forget the relief I felt when I hit 47. Irrational, but real. Every day is gravy at this point!! Had to fly to Anchorage on Wednesday to have a lump checked out that was someplace it shouldn't be. Turned out to be nothing. That was good for a couple of barleywines before I caught the plane back to this god-forsaken place!!

A good friend of ours died suddenly the same way. Although he did go to the hospital after having a couple days of his arm aching. He took a cab to the hospital, they checked him out, found nothing wrong and sent him home, he got out of the cab and dropped dead, 59 years old.

Back
Top Bottom