Join Early Retirement Today

Riddle: College Sheets
Old 06-27-2005, 05:03 PM   #1

Riddle: College Sheets

We've just been informed that regular sheets won't fit the beds at college. The beds at college are longer. Apparently this is true for many colleges.

Why is that? Are college people a different size? Do kids keep their books under the covers?

I can't figure out how that could have started. Did one college happen to make the beds too long, and that became the standard? Did someone say "Hey, if we make the beds a different size, all the kids will have to buy new sheets, and we can sell sheets!"
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Riddle: College Sheets
Old 06-27-2005, 05:09 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't know if it's the "real" answer, but the standard line I've heard the administrators give during parent orientation talks is that you, the parents, are feeding them too much. That is, the average height has increased over the last couple decades and so they started putting longer beds in the dorms to accomodate taller kids.

But probably it has something to do with getting a kickback from the long sheet sellers...

Old 06-27-2005, 05:38 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
We've just been informed that regular sheets won't fit the beds at college.* The beds at college are longer.* Apparently this is true for many colleges.

Why is that?* Are college people a different size?* *Do kids keep their books under the covers?

I can't figure out how that could have started.* Did one college happen to make the beds too long, and that became the standard?* Did someone say "Hey, if we make the beds a different size, all the kids will have to buy new sheets, and we can sell sheets!"*
First, I hope that no one thinks this is a parent's problem. "Welcome to the real world, kid!"

Second, it sounds like the sheets will fit most of the mattress-- just not the last few inches. Did the kid suddenly outgrow the sheets between the high school bed and the college bed? That naked real estate at the foot of the bed will probably just serve as extra storage.

Third, after they leave home then naked is none of our business anymore, but do you really want an unsupervised teenager to have a luxuriously comfortable bed?

Fourth, and in a similar vein, does anyone remember how much time they spent sleeping at college? Wasn't it mostly an exercise in sleep deprivation?

Fifth, I spent four years of college with a neatly made bed and slept on top under a blanket or in a sleeping bag. A couple tugs in the morning, throw the top cover in the closet & close the door, and you're outta there. Those hospital corners are razor-sharp when they have a month to sit there and flatten out. It cut way down on laundry, too.

But then I have no idea what thread count our sheets have, either.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:45 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That is a "twin extra long" or "extra long twin". Search overstock.com and amazon.com for those two terms...both have ample reasonably priced selections in that size.

This one looks pretty nice, whole 'bed in a bag' with 210tc sheets to fit, $39.99 + 2.95 shipping for entire order. http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....rod_id=1468442
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 12:16 PM   #5

I can order the top and bottom sheets and pillowcase from the referenced web site for $20 + shipping to the school. Of course they want you to buy two sets, but my daughter's never going to be washing and sleeping at the same time.

I remember being unable to find a pair of pants for a few months in college. Then they turned up at the bottom of the bed, under the covers. That should give you an idea of how I lived.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:46 PM   #6

They also carry the long sheets (inexpensively) at Bed, Bath & Beyond and Linens and Things, I would check Target too. When my kids no longer lived in the dorms I passed the sheets onto a friend who's son was entering college, so maybe you can find some that way.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:28 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As a somewhat recent grad (7 years ago) I can tell you that they are longer, but not long enough. I'm 6'6" and my feet always hung over the edge of the bed.

Oh yeah, depending on whether you are sending a son or daughter to college you will either be happy or dismayed that the beds aren't wide enough for two people either.

Old 06-28-2005, 02:54 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
As a somewhat recent grad (7 years ago)
Must have gone to SIU?
Old 06-29-2005, 08:08 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

I used to work in University Housing. The XL sheets line was crap at that particular institution. They would tell students they needed them, when in fact, regular twin sheets fit fine.

The reason is that the mattresses are about 3" longer, but they are also about 3" LESS in width. The sheets still fit. Do your homework before spending the extra bucks.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnad
I used to work in University Housing. The XL sheets line was crap at that particular institution. They would tell students they needed them, when in fact, regular twin sheets fit fine.

The reason is that the mattresses are about 3" longer, but they are also about 3" LESS in width. The sheets still fit. Do your homework before spending the extra bucks.
When I first glanced at this topic I thought maybe it was about the college
attended by Sen. R. Byrd

JG
Old 06-29-2005, 10:22 AM   #11

Thanks, Yelnad, I'll look into that. So far, googling bed sizes has come up with pretty consistent sizes:

Twin 39 x 76 inches
Twin X-Long 39 x 80 inches
Full 54 x 75 inches
Queen 60 x 80 inches
King 78 x 80 inches
Cal-King 72 x 84 inches

So I'll have to find out if the beds at her U will be narrower.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:31 AM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

I've never been particularly good with geometry, but how does the width of the bed impact the length of the sheets you would need??

Old 06-29-2005, 11:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by moghopper
Must have gone to SIU?
Yes! Go DAWGS!
Old 06-29-2005, 07:12 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arin38
I've never been particularly good with geometry, but how does the width of the bed impact the length of the sheets you would need??
It gives you some room to pull the sheet farther in the other direction.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:26 AM   #15

Why are the sheets longer?

DUH?

TOGA! TOGA! TOGA!