Join Early Retirement Today

RIP Arnie Palmer
Old 09-25-2016, 06:51 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

RIP Arnie Palmer

Just heard this. What a sporting great! Singlehandedly lifted his sport to another level of popularity.

Golf’s most beloved figure, Arnold Palmer, dies at 87 - Golfweek

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2016, 07:03 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Very sad.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:05 PM   #3

Didn't he just make a bunch of print ads and commercials?
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:08 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yeah, bummer. But he was great until the end. I saw him at his tournament in Bay Hill last year, and he did not look good, but he had a great life. I just brought an autographed, Latrobe Country Club hat with me to Florida. Maybe I will wear it tomorrow in his honor.
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:08 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Sad. My dad was a huge Arnold Palmer fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
texcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:21 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm sad to hear he's passed. I'm not a fan of golf but respected him for showing his passion for the sport and being a wonderful personality. He will be missed.
Paracelsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:28 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Didn't he just make a bunch of print ads and commercials?

Those commercials were done at least a year ago. He really looked bad at Augusta and did not hold his annual press conference at his own tourney. So, I was worried things were not going well health wise. Although I have no memory of his greatness as a player in his prime, I was a huge fan of The King. I drove clear to Tulsa to see him play his final PGA Championship in 1994 if memory serves. I went Friday as I knew that would be his last round. A true class act. Watched him compete in a few senior tourneys also.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:29 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Good looking young guy.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:51 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Arnold was my favorite golfer back in the late 60's when I was getting into the game. I will miss him. R.I.P. Mr Palmer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ArnoldPalmer7.jpg (143.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-25-2016, 07:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by texcurtis View Post
Sad. My dad was a huge Arnold Palmer fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
+1

Along with Jack and Lee.

RIP.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:38 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

RIP Arnold.

Another icon gone this year.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:42 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Great man, one of my Dad's idols. My Dad would say Arnie gave back to the game and fans (way) more than any other touring pro. Life is always too short, but Arnie had a good run at 87 years.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:21 AM   #13
gone traveling

Sad day, Arnie was always my favorite golfer as a teen when I was playing a lot.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:04 AM   #14

Arnold Palmer brought golf into my house when I was a kid growing up. It was 1959 and Dad brought home our first TV, a green boxy black &white number. Among my earliest memories are some of Mom and Dad watching "Arnie" on TV. The next Christmas there were clubs under the tree for Mom & Dad (bought by Mom). My Mom became a fanatic of golf.

when she died at the age of 75 she had 5 aces to her credit. Dad had zero. Many months after she passed I went through the end table next to the chair she sat in as she read golf articles. She had, among the 10 pairs of "cheaters" (reading glasses) notebooks filled with clipped out articles and her chicken scratchings of notes from her practice sessions, going back to the early 1960s.

Our family became, and my brother and I still play together in our 60s, a golfing family.
Across the country, our story became fairly common-place, and when I was in grade school, and high school, just about anybody who played golf was called "Arnie" back in the neighborhood.
He was The King. Always will be.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:11 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
Arnold Palmer brought golf into my house when I was a kid growing up. It was 1959 and Dad brought home our first TV, a green boxy black &white number. Among my earliest memories are some of Mom and Dad watching "Arnie" on TV. The next Christmas there were clubs under the tree for Mom & Dad (bought by Mom). My Mom became a fanatic of golf.

when she died at the age of 75 she had 5 aces to her credit. Dad had zero. Many months after she passed I went through the end table next to the chair she sat in as she read golf articles. She had, among the 10 pairs of "cheaters" (reading glasses) notebooks filled with clipped out articles and her chicken scratchings of notes from her practice sessions, going back to the early 1960s.

Our family became, and my brother and I still play together in our 60s, a golfing family.
Across the country, our story became fairly common-place, and when I was in grade school, and high school, just about anybody who played golf was called "Arnie" back in the neighborhood.
He was The King. Always will be.
Wow....5 aces pretty impressive. Funny you mention calling a golf friend 'Arnie' when you were a kid. To this day I call a neighbor Jack and he calls me Arnie when we play golf together. I guess we never grow up....
Old 09-26-2016, 11:58 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Wow....5 aces pretty impressive.
I guess 5 holes-in-one would be a big deal for some people. I have 6 on our local course. Sure, it takes some skill to time the hit so that it misses that windmill vane or goes in just when the alligator opens its mouth, but it just takes practice. I regularly score in the upper 60s for 18 holes, and often get a free round.

Gonna miss Arnie. He was a hero of my dad and mom, and did so much to make golf popular.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I guess 5 holes-in-one would be a big deal for some people. I have 6 on our local course. Sure, it takes some skill to time the hit so that it misses that windmill vane or goes in just when the alligator opens its mouth, but it just takes practice. I regularly score in the upper 60s for 18 holes, and often get a free round.

Gonna miss Arnie. He was a hero of my dad and mom, and did so much to make golf popular.

the clowns mouth gets me every time. I use another club to jam the windmill in one spot.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 01:45 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post

I've got 4 but don't shoot in the upper 60's regularly. When I play a lot, I can shoot in the upper 70's fairly regular. Our greens have been down for the last several weeks for a complete redo. I haven't played hardly any this summer as temp greens are just no fun. But.....suppose to be back in business in a couple of weeks. Just in time for cool Fall weather golf.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:18 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Our greens have been down for the last several weeks for a complete redo. I haven't played hardly any this summer as temp greens are just no fun.
Why do they need temporary greens? At the course where I've scored my aces, it's pretty much like all the others: If the green (or fairway) gets torn or just wears out, they rip out the nylon and glue in new stuff. It rarely takes more than a day, though sometimes the bumps from the old adhesive can change the way the ball rolls. It's just part of the sport--ya gotta read those greens .
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:29 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Good looking young guy.
And the King of Cool. Most responsible for the success of the Senior Tour. We will miss you.
nubill is offline   Reply With Quote