Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-23-2017, 03:58 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Two of the three actors from Diff'rent Strokes suffered from substance abuse issues (Todd Bridges and Dana Plato), and Gary Coleman had major medical issues his entire life stemming from his congenital chronic kidney disease. Not being able to find parts after the show ended certainly played a role, to some degree, in each of their lives, but it seems like there were larger factors at work for each of them.

I think we tend to focus on the tragic, sensational cases (like Erin Moran) and overlook the far more prevalent cases of child actors who go on to have pretty normal, successful lives. For every star-crossed Diff'rent Strokes cast of kids, there are numerous other shows where not a single child actor went on to have a miserable or tragic adulthood. For example, I don't think any of the girls who starred in The Facts of Life had any major, newsworthy troubles later in life. Same with the child actors from Full House, The Wonder Years, Family Ties, and many others.
From Full House: Olsen Twins, while being incredibly wealthy from their movies and clothes have notorious drug problems and was one of the Olsen twins who found Heath Ledger dead because she had been taking drugs with him, Inside Mary-Kate & Heath's Relationship

Jodie Swetin of full house was a meth addict who wrote a book about her problems and has been “saved” by the reboot on NetflixFuller House Star Jodie Sweetin Talks About Life After Addiction

Candace Cameron wrote a book about her years of eating disorders after Full House as a result of trying to cope to life after Full House

Brian Bosell the younger sibling on Family Ties beat up his girlfriend and has been arrested for assault and drunken rages From Cute to Convict: 'Family Ties' Star Now - ABC News
Justin Bateman on family ties admitted to suffering from Bulimia and anorexia calling it hitting rock bottom in 1996
Justine Bateman: Anorexic, Bulimic, Overeater in Recovery | Addiction Treatment Blog by Addiction Experts
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2017, 04:04 PM   #22

You don't often hear about childhood actors who made lots of money when they were young and proceeded to live an LBYM lifestyle while investing their childhood earnings and setting themselves up for a nice easy retirement. I'm sure a few of these exist, but when is the last time you read a story about one of them?
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
You don't often hear about childhood actors who made lots of money when they were young and proceeded to live an LBYM lifestyle while investing their childhood earnings and setting themselves up for a nice easy retirement. I'm sure a few of these exist, but when is the last time you read a story about one of them?
There must be a lot of successes along with the failures.

Jerry Mathers (the Beaver) comes to mind.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:54 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have known for years that Danica McKellar (Winnie from Wonder Years) is some math genius. She and Fred Savage (Kevin) have had successful careers in acting and continue to act. Savage has also had a good career as a director.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
The same could be said about the general population

Let's face it, there are a LOT of people not wired to save and plan. Child stars, and the parents, are no exception.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:08 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I just read that her last years were not good. It is sad how sometime these famous people lives turn out.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:36 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
There must be a lot of successes along with the failures.

Jerry Mathers (the Beaver) comes to mind.
Sure are This star's trailers are no trash

Hollywood is in my backyard. Many go into off camera roles. Many also crash / disappear from public. That's show business.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:58 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
What did she die from ?
Daily Mail is reporting a suspected heroin overdose.
Skyward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:46 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyward1 View Post
Daily Mail is reporting a suspected heroin overdose.
If true, even more sad.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:38 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I just read that her last years were not good. It is sad how sometime these famous people lives turn out.
You don't have to be famous to have your last years not be so good. Be Here Now
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:43 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
From Full House: Olsen Twins, while being incredibly wealthy from their movies and clothes have notorious drug problems and was one of the Olsen twins who found Heath Ledger dead because she had been taking drugs with him, Inside Mary-Kate & Heath's Relationship

Jodie Swetin of full house was a meth addict who wrote a book about her problems and has been “saved” by the reboot on NetflixFuller House Star Jodie Sweetin Talks About Life After Addiction

Candace Cameron wrote a book about her years of eating disorders after Full House as a result of trying to cope to life after Full House

Brian Bosell the younger sibling on Family Ties beat up his girlfriend and has been arrested for assault and drunken rages From Cute to Convict: 'Family Ties' Star Now - ABC News
Justin Bateman on family ties admitted to suffering from Bulimia and anorexia calling it hitting rock bottom in 1996
Justine Bateman: Anorexic, Bulimic, Overeater in Recovery | Addiction Treatment Blog by Addiction Experts
OK, some of those definitely fall on the darker side of the spectrum, so I would agree that Family Ties and Full House were not great examples. But, on the other hand, I think all of the actors mentioned above have gone on to have fairly decent lives and don't seem to be in any kind of "death spiral" like Erin Moran clearly was. I would bet that if you took a broad sub-sample of all famous child actors and compared their rates of suicide, incarceration, mental illness, drug overdose, etc. with people who became famous actors later in life, it wouldn't be hugely different.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:30 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Fox Business just reported that the autopsy results for Erin stated that death was "likely caused by cancer"
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:38 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkevin View Post
Fox Business just reported that the autopsy results for Erin stated that death was "likely caused by cancer"
Some more info on the report ....

Quote:
An autopsy has revealed that Erin Moran “likely succumbed to complications of stage 4 cancer.”

“A joint investigation into Mrs. Moran’s death was conducted by the Harrison County Sheriff’s Department and the Harrison County Coroner’s Office. A subsequent autopsy revealed that Mrs. Moran likely succumbed to complications of stage 4 cancer,” Sheriff Rod Seelye said in a statement sent to Fox News.

Toxicology results are pending but no illegal narcotics were discovered at Moran’s Indiana residence, the statement revealed.

Moran, 56, was found dead Saturday by emergency responders after a dispatcher for the Harrison County sheriff's department received a 911 call.

The final days of Moran’s life were plagued with instability as the star shuffled around various locations in Harrison County while her fellow former child actors tried in vain to get her the help she needed.

Erin Moran 'likely died' of complications of stage 4 cancer, autopsy reveals | Fox News

Read an article that she seemed happy but was more reclusive in recent weeks. Could be that she was just a private person and wanted to keep the illness to herself.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:28 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

That's sad, but begs the questions: Did she receive the treatment she needed? Was she even diagnosed? Did she have health insurance? If not, why not?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:58 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
That's sad, but begs the questions: Did she receive the treatment she needed? Was she even diagnosed? Did she have health insurance? If not, why not?
Her husband released a detailed description of the events. Looks like she passed from aggressive throat cancer.

Quote:
Erin Moran’s bereaved husband has spoken out publicly for the first time since the actress’s death on Saturday afternoon to pay tribute to his wife and reveal that she died peacefully, by his side, in her sleep. She was holding his hand when she passed.

In a moving and fulsome statement, Steve Fleischmann who met Erin on April 22, 1992 and married the following year, told of how his wife was diagnosed with throat cancer around their anniversary last year.
Quote:
Former Happy Days co-star and longtime friend Anson Williams, who played Potsie Weber on the show, told People.com: ‘It’s hard to wrap your arms around. She was having treatment for throat cancer, so I was contacting her husband and her and she seemed to be fighting it, really doing well. I was just shocked when I got the call she had passed.
‘I had no idea it was so bad. She kept very quiet. We all kept quiet too out of respect for Erin. She couldn’t speak, but her texts were very [positive].’
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...at-cancer.html

RIP. Seems like despite having rough times, she remained a positive person and was fighting the cancer.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:09 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Her husband released a detailed description of the events. Looks like she passed from aggressive throat cancer.

Erin Moran's husband reveals she died of throat cancer | Daily Mail Online

RIP. Seems like despite having rough times, she remained a positive person and was fighting the cancer.
Thanks for the update. It seems she was receiving treatment, but the cancer had spread widely. It's sad that her husband had to explain, but at least now the speculation about heroin overdose should stop. Heavy smoking is the most likely contributing factor.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:24 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
As I recall, Opie Taylor did pretty well for himself.
And Opie had the original Beatle haircut, circa 1962 (Google the images), before any of us fellow Americans even knew what that meant. And we all shine on ....
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote