Join Early Retirement Today

RIP Keith Emerson
Old 03-11-2016, 01:50 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

RIP Keith Emerson

Keith Emerson, Emerson, Lake and Palmer Keyboardist, Dead at 71 | Rolling Stone

Was a "lucky man" to see him twice, in 1971 and again in 2010. Pretty groundbreaking stuff.

http://youtu.be/cSegukNR8HY

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2016, 02:53 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Saw them a few times growing up. They were a staple on the 8 track then cassette player driving endless miles through corn fields killing time while growing up.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends......"
Old 03-11-2016, 03:19 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Never did see them, but I do have a picture of myself with his Moog synth set up (Chicago NAMM show - 1983?) - Bob Moog was there as well (RIP) and I was able to exchange a few words with him.

Brain Salad Surgery will be played tonight in this household. So far, no cause of death reported, and just 71 YO. RIP.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:32 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Brain Salad Surgery will be played tonight in this household. So far, no cause of death reported, and just 71 YO. RIP.

-ERD50
Ah, man. Just flashed back to my buddy's 8-track and quadrophonic audio system! Karn Evil 9, Lucky Man, From the Beginning, Still, You Turn Me On...will need to play, drink in memoriam tonight. Soundtrack of my youth...
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:01 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

British music star Keith Emerson dies aged 71 from reported suicide | Daily Mail Online

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:22 PM   #6

Read where he had some nerve damage that affected his playing and as a result became depressed and shot himself, sad but understandable in a strange kind of way.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:26 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

ELP was the first rock concert I ever went to. My older brother was into them. Saw them in Cincinnati in November 1973. I didn't know anything about them, but enjoyed the show. This was the tour for Brain Salad Surgery.
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:29 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I liked his stuff and ELP. But unfortunately, when touring as Emerson, Lake and Powell (early 1987ish), he, Lake and the band had an off day. One of the worst concerts I ever saw. They mailed it in. But I forgave them long ago.

RIP.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:31 PM   #9

A former work associate of mine maintains his big modular moog ( the monstrosity with all the patch cords)

Sad to hear this ..

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:02 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

One of the big name bands I never saw, but I completely wore out my Pictures at an Exhibition album. Many other great albums too. I did see Greg Lake when he was in King Crimson, but that was as close as I got. Sad to see him go, especially through suicide. RIP.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:45 PM   #11

I enjoyed his work with The Nice most of all. One of my favorites:

Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:01 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Pictures at an Exhibition got me interested in classical music, which is pretty funny when you think of it. I remember reading about Mussorgsky in the encyclopedia. Also trying to figure out how a Moog synthesizer worked, although I could not find much info on that at the time, since we "did n't have no Internet."
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:20 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Pictures at an Exhibition got me interested in classical music, which is pretty funny when you think of it. ...
Yes, and I have some CDs of Aaron Copeland's works, who I learned of through Emerson ( Rodeo, Fanfare for the Common Man ).

Quote:
I remember reading about Mussorgsky in the encyclopedia. Also trying to figure out how a Moog synthesizer worked, although I could not find much info on that at the time, since we "did n't have no Internet."
What a difference the internet has made in our lives! You can learn just about anything about anything, whether it's true or not!

-ERD50
Old 03-12-2016, 09:27 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Now that you mention it, I remember asking my Mother who Aaron Copeland was because of "Rodeo" done by Keith Emerson. I thought it was fantastic, and was disappointed that Emerson hadn't written it himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Yes, and I have some CDs of Aaron Copeland's works, who I learned of through Emerson ( Rodeo, Fanfare for the Common Man ).

ERD50
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 10:44 AM   #15

I am not sure if we saw them or not. I will have to ask my DH. I always liked them and listened to plenty of their music. Sad.
Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:07 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

I saw them on their Works tour in 78, after they shed the orchestra. I distinctly remember it as the best sounding rock concert I ever attended, it was like listening to a high-end high fidelity system as opposed to blaring noise.

He & his keyboard rotated at the end of the show if I recall.

Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:07 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Back in the 70s it was reported by a radio station that ELP had visit "Emerson Lake" in Palmer (Mass).
Old 03-13-2016, 11:11 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Back in the 70s it was reported by a radio station that ELP had visit "Emerson Lake" in Palmer (Mass).

Those silly 70's radio stations!

https://www.google.com/maps/search/E.../data=!3m1!4b1

Quote:
We could not find Emerson Lake, Palmer, ma
Make sure your search is spelled correctly. Try adding a city, state, or zip code.
Add Emerson Lake, Palmer, ma to Google Maps.
More Google search results for Emerson Lake, Palmer, ma
Though there is an Emery Street, and it flows near Forest Lake - close?

-ERD50
Old 03-13-2016, 01:07 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Big fan since Nice. First saw ELP in 1972 at Ohio's Wooster college gymnasium for $4.50. Sat on folding wooden chairs two rows back from the "stage". It was so awesome and the sound waves literally jarred my bones. Have lots of their vinyl. One of the few groups where I have worn out an album. Love how Karn Evil 9 on our quad system made my head swim. Working on getting digital versions of everything. But can't bring myself to part with vinyl, even though have not had a turntable in 20 yrs.

(Still so sad about Bowie... now Keith )
WyndChym is offline   Reply With Quote