RIP Omar Sharif

NW-Bound

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Omar Sharif passed away a few days ago, on July 10, 2015, at the age of 83. He is best remembered for his role as Dr. Zhivago in the 1965 epic movie of the same name. This is one of my all-time favorite movies.

doctor-zhivago.jpg

I need to watch it again, and take notes. I think I got lost with all those Russian names (I'm visual, and lose track of story lines pretty easily).

But I do recall the movie was very beautiful cinema. The only line I remember was during the piano recital, the man is bored and tells his date (wife?) he is going out for a smoke (drink?). She says "But this is genius!" and he replies, "Oh, I thought it was Rachmaninoff" !

Now I love Rachmaninoff, so I don't relate from that angle, but I thought it was a funny line from someone who didn't appreciate Rachmaninoff. Especially in such a serious movie.

-ERD50

Talented actor who acted in three languages. Besides Dr. Zhivago he was in numerous Egyptian movies but was also in a few French movies among them "Mayrig" and "588 Rue Paradis" as the head of an Armenian family who immigrated to France after the genocide. RIP Omar.

Last edited:
Cairo Fred was quite the character. RIP.

Back
Top Bottom