Join Early Retirement Today

RIP - Robert M. Pirsig - Zen & The Art of MM
Old 04-28-2017, 03:07 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

RIP - Robert M. Pirsig - Zen & The Art of MM

Born: September 6, 1928, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Died: April 24, 2017, South Berwick, Maine, United States

We were obligated to read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance in high school.

I know many people here on this forum are huge fans of the book. It did not grab me at the time (stupid teenager) but I must admit that it has stayed with me over the years and I have thought of it often.

Probably the truest sign of a great book and great writing.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2017, 05:42 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

His name doesn't ring a bell with me, but that book title is registering somewhere in my memory repository, but don't ask me the gist of it.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:46 PM   #3

RIP Mr Pirsig. That was a favorite book.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:46 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I actually read that book in my 20s. There was a lot of philosophy and Greek philosophical history I did not understand, but it was still fascinating.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:17 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I know the title, never read it, and never really knew what it was about - but I always assumed there was a lot of philosophy derived from a seemingly simple task?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:08 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Was his book similar to the famous "How to Keep Your Volkswagon Alive"? That book saved me a lot of dollars, though that was back in the day when all you needed was a set of socket wrenches and a few screwdrivers. I would static time the engine using a spare 12 volt light. Worked like a charm. Simpler cars for simpler days.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:05 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

A friend highly recommended the book to me a few years ago. I guess I need to try and read it one more time. Honestly, it did nothing for me.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:54 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

If you're looking for a book to show you how to fix motorcycles, you need some other book.

If you're looking for a book that shows you how to fix motorcycles well, now you're on to something.

If you're looking for a book to explain the fundamentals of Zen philosophy, you probably need some other book.

If you're looking for a book that shows Zen doing its thing, now you're on to something...
ggbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:10 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I tried to read it in my teens and couldn't get through it. It annoyed me. Figured it must be my fault.

Tried again to read it in my 30's, and found it just as pretentious and tedious as I had 20 years before.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:24 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Read it twice and its on the table waiting for third time. I want to "get" it, but my puny mind won't allow it.
frank2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:53 AM   #11

I read a lot but sadly, not very much fiction. It is one of the dirty little secrets that I try to keep to myself, as I don't enjoy the looks and changes in attitude I get from others when they realize that I am not very well read. Once in a blue moon, I'll come across something light that captures me, such as David Sedaris' very entertaining auto-biographical stories but otherwise, it's mainly reading for reference and informative purposes. How terribly dull it sounds - I wish it were otherwise, but I cannot pretend to be someone I am not.

I was always familiar with the title "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". I did try to read it once, but it didn't keep my attention. That alone is not the mark of a poor read, more the mark of the dullard trying to read it (i.e. me!)

PS- I'm a lot like Frank, I think. There are quite a lot of things I want to "get" (like the fanaticism surrounding Star Wars, for example) but have to eventually admit that I don't.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:13 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

A real classic from back in the day. Read it in my 20s and thoroughly enjoyed it, although it was occasionally some hard slogging. Read it a second time with the same result.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:34 PM   #13

Wasn't there a scene in there describing the looks on people's faces as they drove in the morning rush hour traffic: Paraphrasing : "Of course they all look dead and hopeless and depressed. They're on their way to work". I thought I read it, but, like many others here, I'm not sure!
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:36 PM   #14

I liked the book and I am sad at his passing.