Join Early Retirement Today

RIP Roy Halladay
Old 11-07-2017, 03:17 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

RIP Roy Halladay

Died in a small plane crash in the Gulf of Mexico. A great pitcher and a great guy.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2017, 04:27 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

RIP. He was a fan favourite with the Jays. He had a great season with the Phillies in 2010.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:29 PM   #3

A sure hall of famer. He came back for a one day contract with the Jays so he could retire a Jay too.

Say him pitch in person many times. A great, cool headed professional who took a lot of younger pitchers under his wing.

RIP Doc.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:53 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Big shock, for sure.

I think he's pretty much been considered on the edge for the Hall of Fame. I think he probably belongs, but may not be on the first ballot, so, not a sure thing.

It would be nice if the thread title could reflect the correct spelling of his name: Halladay.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
RIP Roy Halladay
Old 11-07-2017, 05:54 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

RIP Roy Halladay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Big shock, for sure.

I think he's pretty much been considered on the edge for the Hall of Fame. I think he probably belongs, but may not be on the first ballot, so, not a sure thing.

It would be nice if the thread title could reflect the correct spelling of his name: Halladay.

Autocorrect. It’s fixed
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:26 AM   #6

Didn't Catfish Hunter exit stage right in a similar manner some years back ?
Old 11-08-2017, 06:41 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Didn't Catfish Hunter exit stage right in a similar manner some years back ?
You're probably thinking of Thurman Munson, who was still an active player when his plane went down. Catfish had ALS and died after a fall.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:07 AM   #8

Saw him pitch in high school in the Denver area. Kid could bring it even back then! Should join Gossage as the only other Coloradan in HOF if you ask me.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:13 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
You're probably thinking of Thurman Munson, who was still an active player when his plane went down.
"Some years back"? Munson died in 1979. Maybe he meant Roberto Clemente.

Roy Halladay was a great pitcher. I'd vote for him for the HOF. And more importantly, it seems he was a great person, too. RIP.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:37 AM   #10

Two time Cy Young award winner and 8 time All Star. I'd say he is pretty close to a lock for the HoF.

Last time I was at the HoF, one of the curators was telling us what a zoo induction weekend is. I'd be willing to give it a go when they induct Doc though.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:41 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Note to self. Do not get pilots license and fly small airplanes as a hobby when retired.

I want a very low chance of perishing while doing my hobbies.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:24 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Sad story. Reminds me of deaths of Roberto Clemente, Thurman Munson, and John Denver.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:03 PM   #13

I think he will make the hall of fame first vote due to his perfect game and no hitter in the playoffs. He was lights out in his prime and one of my favorite pitchers to watch. Sounds like he was well liked in his community and a volunteer for public service.
VanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:42 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom2708 View Post
Note to self. Do not get pilots license and fly small airplanes as a hobby when retired.

This model of plane is new, very few are sold, he had #1 and there have been 3 crashes with it, one killing 2 of the company workers.

The company will have a harder time making sales now.
It is a cool plane, lands on land and water, wings fold up so you can store it in the garage and take it down to the boat launch to fly, no airstrip needed.

I always joke to DW I'll start skydiving when I'm 90 as it's too risky for me
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:43 AM   #15

Shades of John Denver.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:37 PM   #16

My plane was hangared next door to ICON's initial flight test HQ in the hills of SoCal. I watched them build and fly numerous prototypes prior to their move to Vacaville. As a retired career aviator I had a few observations.
1. This company hired some very smart engineers and composite fabricators. The quality of their work was topnotch.
2. It takes serious gusto and confidence in a vision to start an aircraft company. Despite numerous delays, they finally started delivering to customers. I cannot imagine being an investor. Talk about high risk.
3. Their sales campaign always concerned me. Offering a flight deck similar to a luxury car and sort of downplaying the challenge of operating a small aircraft from the water sent a chill down my spine. In my opinion, a newly minted pilot should focus on fixed wing land ops for a good chunk of time before venturing in to water ops. Too many variables for inexperienced pilots often lead to task saturation and accidents.
Hopefully ICON can weather this bad stretch, but I would not bet on it.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:39 PM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Sad story. Reminds me of deaths of Roberto Clemente, Thurman Munson, and John Denver.
Payne Stewart too. Not that I much care much for golf, but it's all-time fashion plate. Seemed a great guy too.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:29 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Eh oh. I am doing just that. And it is an experimental, home built one.
check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:39 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
My plane was hangared next door to ICON's initial flight test HQ in the hills of SoCal. . . .
3. Their sales campaign always concerned me. Offering a flight deck similar to a luxury car and sort of downplaying the challenge of operating a small aircraft from the water sent a chill down my spine. In my opinion, a newly minted pilot should focus on fixed wing land ops for a good chunk of time before venturing in to water ops. Too many variables for inexperienced pilots often lead to task saturation and accidents.
And their marketing highlighted not just water ops, but flying at high speed at low altitude for the thrill of it. It takes just a moment of inattention or distraction--if a wingtip touches the water, the "game" is over. People who want to dash around at high speed really close to the water should get a jet ski or boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by check6 View Post
Eh oh. I am doing just that. And it is an experimental, home built one.
Me, too. Sure, there are no guarantees and things could end badly, but it is a safe hobby if pursued with an eye toward safety.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:27 AM   #20

Quote:

At least don't fly them recklessly, which according to witnesses is what Halladay was doing.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote