Join Early Retirement Today

RIP Tubby
Old 03-14-2015, 01:30 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

RIP Tubby

Tubby
2/5/2001 (adoption day)- 3/14/2015

We lost our Corgi, Kramer, last August. Lost 17 year old Tubby this morning.

In 2001 Tubby was found roaming the streets in Dallas and taken to the Dallas Humane Society where he was found to be very sick. He was fostered and nursed back to health by a kind volunteer and several weeks later was put up for adoption.

I had gone to the new car show in Dallas that spring. While wandering around Market Hall, I saw Tubby at an adoption booth at the Dallas Car Show and it was all over. I’m probably one of the few people who can say they went to a car show and came home with a new furry friend.

The vet estimated Tubby to be about 4 years old when I brought him to his new home. This was one happy and playful dog who could make us laugh at his antics. Around 2007 we noticed he had a problem with one of his eyes that eventually was diagnosed as glaucoma. Over the course of the next year he lost his eyesight. We took it harder than he did… Early on, I would follow him around to make sure he didn’t get in trouble. I must have said “that had to hurt” 30 or 40 times before his blind radar kicked in. He was amazing and loved to walk the neighborhood on a leash- very trusting of his guide.

If you’re a dog person, there’s always a special one. We’ve been lucky to have known 2, Peeper and Tubby. Both of them found us, we really didn’t find them. Our other furry companions have been special too, but Peeper and Tubby took the prize in my book.

The last thing we told Tubby this morning was to say hi to Peeper, Chili, Kramer and Newman for us.

Attached is a video I made several years ago (too much time on my hands on the weekend) with all our 'boys'... only the tree climber, Tailgate, is still around now.
Attached Files

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2015, 02:16 PM   #2

Even when you know it's coming that doesn't make it hurt any less.

Love the video!

Old 03-14-2015, 02:56 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here's to Tubby and Kramer....may their royalties live on...
Old 03-14-2015, 03:02 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I have 16 year old cat that is frail but still playful and mouthy. Dread the day when....but it is a blessing that the vet can ease our friends into the next life.
I will always have critters no matter how much it hurts at times
Old 03-14-2015, 03:21 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Very sorry for your loss.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 03:25 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So sorry. These little friends add so much to lives.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:46 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Very sorry for your loss. I think most of us have been where you are and understand.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:48 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It is always hard to say goodbye to our furry family members.

Great video; thanks for sharing it.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:20 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry for your loss. Is is very hard to lose a friend. Thanks for posting the video.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:33 PM   #10

It's so hard when they have to leave us. My heartfelt condolences.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Great video

Mojo for your loss. I know it is very hard to lose a member of your family
Old 03-16-2015, 12:59 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

So sorry for your loss. We've been through it several times and it's so painful. Know that you provided a wonderful happy life for him for many years.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:15 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Very sorry for your loss. We too have been through this a few times. Never gets any easier...
Old 03-16-2015, 06:34 PM   #14

I am sorry for your loss.

One of my regulars for my beach walks is an older blind golden retriever... she sounds similar in attitude to Tubby - very trusting of her guide, and happy to be out in the world walking - blind or not.

RIP Tubby.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:55 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

We just had our beloved girl go out without us for the last time this past fall. I still miss her every day! I know exactly what you mean about the most special of them, those that just grab hold of a piece of your heart and soul and settle in to stay. I am so sorry that you no longer have that good old friend with you in the flesh. All the best to you and yours.

Green
Old 03-16-2015, 07:03 PM   #16

I am so sorry for your loss, but I am so happy that your dogs found you. You gave them so much love and happiness. Loved the video.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:25 PM   #17

Tubby was a character. Thanks for sharing a little bit of him with us. Only time can heal your loss.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:16 PM   #18

Awww…just saw this. Loved your video! Thanks for sharing this with us. It's amazing the hole that is left when our fur family departs. I hope Tailgate is doing ok with the loss of now two of his pals.

I feel for you. I lost both of my schnauzers Jake and Nick, Jake in 2012 and Nick this past October 2014. It didn't take me long (Dec) to get a new schnauzer puppy. Gus is now 6 months old and is my shadow. My cat tolerates him!