Join Early Retirement Today

Risk & Reward Chart
Old 03-19-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Risk & Reward Chart

Hey Everyone,

Ive been working on a risk/reward online graphing program and wondering what you guys think. Basically this tool lets you see how adding various low correlated assets together reduces portfolio risk. It produces the same type of charts that you see in the financial books such as Dr. Bernsteins. I have never seen a tool to reproduce these so I decided to make one.

Anyway heres a link: Risk Reward Chart

Please let me know what you think! I am not very good at describing this tool but intend to write up a lengthy explanation

- trixs

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Comments:

1) As you note, the explanation of this tool needs to be more thorough. I can't really see what the results mean. Without that, the exercise lacks significance.

2) On the graph, I can't tell which line is which. I happened to choose an allocatiomn that has both lines starting at the identical point, so neiter one is "to the left".

3) It would be handy to have a key to automatically copy all entries from "Allocation One" into "Allocation 2", so users could have a starting point to vary from.

4) The data sets used are not indicated. Users will want to know if your data comes from 2000-2007 or 1911-2007

Old 03-19-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the reply. Other eyes see things mine completely miss!

1 - Yea, I just have not had the time to write a good article.

2 - There is only 1 line. One side of the line would be 100% portfolio A while the other end would be 100% portfolio B. The middle point would be exactly 50% of each portfolio. The result is you can see how adding say, 30% bonds to a 100% TSM portfolio would reduce risk. In interesting exercise is to see how adding some stocks to a 100% bond portfolio actually decreases risk and increases return.

4 - Will do... In fact I should make them user selectable.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:54 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey Everyone,

I have added an explanation page to the tool to hopefully help those that have never seen such a chart.

- trixs
Old 03-24-2008, 02:45 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

The start of a very good tool. I agree with Sam's suggestions. So labels on the graph showing the delta between Allocation 1 and 2 would be helpful
Old 03-24-2008, 06:33 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Backrest I meant

How is the backrest coming along?

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote