Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

No risk. Theres a fringe element of quacks that are up in arms over nothing. 100 years ago these folks would be threatening doom over the electric streetlight.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for all the well-reasoned replies that have allayed my concerns.

omni

Old 10-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Put me in the same camp of people who think everything in the universe presents more of a hazard than this.

However, in my city they recently notified us that they were going to swap the perfectly good old meters for this type (opting to keep the old meter was good for a surcharge of about $50 a month). They did the swap, but my home network was knocked out and I had to call a repairman for a few hundred bucks.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
True story, DH had an uncle who believed the satellites were reading his thoughts, so lined all his ballcaps with tinfoil. For real. Let the record show that DH is from NORTH Carolina.
Hey now! Let's not start a civil war here! At least here up in the North we don't have people ... oh never mind, I won't lob that battle grenade.

What I do want to say is this... Are these same people who are worried about smart meters sitting with a laptop on their lap, writing these blog posts? Do they have a wireless router in their bedroom? Etc. You get my point.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The TRUE REAL risk is from the Morphic Field! Only 1/2 inch of mustard will protect you.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Hey now! Let's not start a civil war here! At least here up in the North we don't have people ... oh never mind, I won't lob that battle grenade. .
This specific battle is between the two Carolinas, not to do with the further north states. Perhaps someone in West Virginia can help me explain it to you.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #27

Quote:
This specific battle is between the two Carolinas, not to do with the further north states. Perhaps someone in West Virginia can help me explain it to you.
"Old North State" since 1710 and proud of it.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
"Old North State" since 1710 and proud of it.
My bad--didn't realize you were one of dem dere Tar Heels. /)

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #29

Tinfoil hats can't hold a candle to a well made chickenwire lid.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #30

Quote:
Sorry, don't have a clue. Too busy hunting bears/deer/possum to research it.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #31

Other posters nailed it, you might as well worry about garage door openers, wifi routers, and baby monitors. The emissions are so low and infrequent, it truly is the realm of those who need to find a way to worry.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I think the biggest risk is that you will get a lot of ribbing if you admit to this concern on the forum.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:35 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
Tinfoil hats can't hold a candle to a well made chickenwire lid.
I prefer the Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie!
Old 10-28-2013, 06:48 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
Odd.... I haven't seen the author of that site on http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...day-37868.html

Pretty extensive site for a joke.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:14 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I think the biggest risk is that you will get a lot of ribbing if you admit to this concern on the forum.
No kidding. I was going to ask a question about the magnetic bracelet I'm using, but now I think I'll just keep it to myself. Ooops.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
No kidding. I was going to ask a question about the magnetic bracelet I'm using, but now I think I'll just keep it to myself. Ooops.
It's fascinating to see how it never actually touches your wrist, due to being opposite polarity from your magnetic personality.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Those wires create an electric field which (for sure) is inducing voltage in your body. You could measure how much voltage with a digital volt meter. Whether that harms you or not is debatable.

There is theory and study evidence that 'earthing' has benefit. Anyhow, it is a simple matter to ground out the induced voltage. You can get started learning about this by visiting earthing.com (no affiliation -- not a customer).
Old 11-04-2013, 04:30 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarling View Post
There is theory and study evidence that 'earthing' has benefit. Anyhow, it is a simple matter to ground out the induced voltage. You can get started learning about this by visiting earthing.com (no affiliation -- not a customer).
That site is a hilarious pile of pseudoscience. If 1% of it were true, a Nobel Prie awaits its owner. Of course walking barefoot along a beach feels good, but it ain't due to any "energy field". (Why does Every. Single. Thing. to do with Alt-Med have to involve an "energy field", when nobody involved can even say how this "energy field" is measured? Is it just because it sounds like something out of Star Trek?)
Old 11-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
That site is a hilarious pile of pseudoscience. ...
Yes, the language they use pretty much targets the flower-pickers among us. Did you find & read any of the actual studies?

Earthing sounds odd at first, but when you think about it, humans evolved in close contact with the ground, meaning minimal exposure to electrical fields. The mitochondria in each of our trillions of cells rely on the movement of electrons to create energy; also, neurons rely on the transmission of electrical charges. These systems involve minute charges that can be affected by small electric fields.

Anyhow, it has been shown in controlled studies that earthing indeed alters physiology. Also, people tend to report common experiences after being grounded (e.g. reduced pain, better sleep, more energy, ...). There are some youtube videos and google will bring up some of the studies, which will bypass most of the 'woo' found on earthing.com
Old 11-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #40

Hey Omni...It does not hurt to ask. I would wonder, too.

All I can say is: Omni's thread has attracted the Mad Hatters like moths to a light bulb...Ha!